Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So lets get ready for steam sale, lads!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I was looking at the Civ games on Steam. Is Civ 4 a good starting point for someone new to the genre or is it a very complex game?

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Saints row 3 is on sale now, I am looking at it here.

I bought Darksiders today, didn't notice it last night.

Also got

-Dungeon Defenders
    -Binding of Issacc
    -Terarria 4 Pack
    -Bioshock 1
    -Bioshock 2

In work here (in Dublin) it goes through the UK

Prices are different on some games.

Saints Row 3 is £20.09 or £39.99 for the collection

Saints Row 3 for £20.99? You missed out mate, picked it up for E7.49 last night on The Community's Choice. Nice little price if I do say so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

For anyone that missed SR3, it's available on GreenManGaming at 60% off, plus you can use the 20% off voucher from the free Hacker Evolution games on it too.

There's also Darksiders and Metro 2033 that will be cheaper than Steam (which has/will have €5 for Darksiders, €2.50 for Metro 2033) when you use the voucher. All 3 are steamworks games.

It's also worth keeping an eye on Reddit (GameDeals, SteamDeals, Amazon Deals). They're very good for seeking out hidden gems and finding better deals than Steam.

Amazon are also price-matching a fair few games for Steam (see the Reddit link above) and since you'll buy it in dollars, it's better than the $1=€1 price exchange Steam have on most games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I was looking at the Civ games on Steam. Is Civ 4 a good starting point for someone new to the genre or is it a very complex game?

I have civ 4, it's only an alright game imo. Total war shogun 2 (or any of the total war series) and crusader kings II are better games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Saints Row 3 for £20.99? You missed out mate, picked it up for E7.49 last night on The Community's Choice. Nice little price if I do say so.

I already own it , and have completed it, and most of the games on sale atm :P ...waiting for the next batch later today :D

I think it's more complex than Civ5.
    I found Civ5 to be better, and more user friendly. Though I'm sure some people will differ, saying 4 was deeper etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I started Civ5 about 2 months ago. Once you have a bit of patience is a great game. Its not the kind of game where you need to go back to really enjoy it, learning civ 4 would just mean extra time adjusting to the meta of 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Just bought Trine and Trine 2 for €4.00, first purchase

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

jayteecork wrote: »
    That crap beat The witcher and Batman???

rigged!!

I guess everyone who voted it missed when SR3 was a 75% midweek deal a little while ago.
    Kiith wrote: »
    I've not bought anything...but i need to buy something!! :o

You've got eleven more days, don't break a sweat :P

Civ 4 is a good game, however bear in mind it has a lot of small minor detailing that you need to keep on top of, especially if you get Warlords or Beyond the Sword as well.

Civ 5 is a lot more intuitive, and while it doesn't have as much level of detailing as Civ 4: BtS, the change in the base mechanics of the game (no more combat unit stacking, cities can defend and have hitpoints, ranged attacks, hexagon tiles rather than square tiles) mean that it's not easy to jump from one to the other. Since I started playing Civ 5 a lot, I can't go back to Civ 4, just feels far too different.

Do wait before buying though, Civ will undoubtedly go to 75% off at some point during the sale (and Gods and Kings will hopefully get a further discount despite it being super-new), so you'll save another little bit by waiting. Unless you want to buy the Civ collection for €40 (Civ 3 complete, Civ 4 complete, and all of Civ 5 before G&K).

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Do wait before buying though, Civ will undoubtedly go to 75% off at some point during the sale (and Gods and Kings will hopefully get a further discount despite it being super-new)

Fingers crossed for this. Currently its listed at more then I paid for the original game :S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I guess everyone who voted it missed when SR3 was a 75% midweek deal a little while ago.

It was?

What the hell, Witcher and Total war were the only thing i came in looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Civ 4 is a good game, however bear in mind it has a lot of small minor detailing that you need to keep on top of, especially if you get Warlords or Beyond the Sword as well.

Civ 5 is a lot more intuitive, and while it doesn't have as much level of detailing as Civ 4: BtS, the change in the base mechanics of the game (no more combat unit stacking, cities can defend and have hitpoints, ranged attacks, hexagon tiles rather than square tiles) mean that it's not easy to jump from one to the other. Since I started playing Civ 5 a lot, I can't go back to Civ 4, just feels far too different.

Do wait before buying though, Civ will undoubtedly go to 75% off at some point during the sale (and Gods and Kings will hopefully get a further discount despite it being super-new), so you'll save another little bit by waiting. Unless you want to buy the Civ collection for €40 (Civ 3 complete, Civ 4 complete, and all of Civ 5 before G&K).

I'm going to wait till the end of the sale just in case.

The reason I'm considering Civ 4 is because I'm using a new MacBook Air which has Intel HD4000 integrated graphics. I don't think this would be enough for Civ 5.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ghost Recon 2 won the community vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I'm going and try to still to a rule. If it got less than 80% on metacritic don't purchase. This should help me not ending up with 30 news games I'll never get to play.

ED E wrote: »
    Fingers crossed for this. Currently its listed at more then I paid for the original game :S

It's currently back down to the Steam pre-order price. We might get lucky and it might drop to 25% off if Civ 5 gets a daily highlight, but I don't see it happening given how new releases have been handled in previous sales.
    Varik wrote: »
    It was?

Actually it was a weekend deal on the first weekend of June. Just checked my history, I bought it with 40 minutes to go on Monday the 4th :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

tvnutz wrote: »
    Is Company of Heroes worth getting for a fiver? Never played any of the series

Definitely.
    I'm going to wait till the end of the sale just in case.

The reason I'm considering Civ 4 is because I'm using a new MacBook Air which has Intel HD4000 integrated graphics. I don't think this would be enough for Civ 5.

Check here and see how the performance measures up for you. No intention of getting Civ 5 at the moment. Loved Civ 4. If Civ 5 drops too much in price though .

This is my first steam sale in almost a year and half. Last time I hit almost 130 yo yos. So. Discipline. Discipline. Discipline.

Portal 2, thank you very much. :D

Civ 5 scales surprisingly well, but I don't think it supports Mac integrated graphics. (It does support Windows integrated graphics)

Nice! So far each game I've voted for has won :D

Nice! So far each game I've voted for has won :D

Every game that wins I have :S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭Nollog

Ohes, this vote is difficult...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

so whos voting for what now, Rage, AC Revelations and Darkness II

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Come on AC: Revelations!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Rage or darkness is good for me, not fussed on AC so will skip that if it wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Rage please. I want it. For about 17 quid? Yes please!

Get voting now.

AC: Revelations. Wouldn't get it unless it was on sale.

Rage is the only one I'm interested in, in this vote. But even if it wins it'll still be €16.66 so probably not worth it for all I'll play it

For those wondering. GRAW 2 for the PC is a very good Cooperative based multiplayer game if you've got cooperative people to play it with. Lots of fun and well worth the price. Very different from the Console versions too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

Daily deals should change in about 2hrs. Whats everyone hoping for? Arkham City or Max Payne for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Rage doesn't seem great value even at that price.

I think I'll skip this one.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Neilos wrote: »
    Daily deals should change in about 2hrs. Whats everyone hoping for? Arkham City or Max Payne for me.

I hope to god it isn't Max Payne 3.

Because I know if it is the price will be to low to resist and I will then start crying because of the 35G download.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭megaten

Super street fighter 4 AE for 7.50 seems like really good value. Looks like it going to be the first purchase for me.

Neilos wrote: »

Arkham city or Arma II for me please, i think thats all im interested in at the minute although im sure steam has other ideas for me

blobby360 wrote: »
    I hope to god it isn't Max Payne 3.

Because I know if it is the price will be to low to resist and I will then start crying because of the 35G download.

Great, should have it in time for christmas so.

Hoping for :

Splinter Cell Conviction. (I know it's not the best SC game and I loved the classic ones but I want to try it sometime :p)
    Arma II Combined Ops. (Huge Arma buff, haven't had much time for gaming lately and always passed on the OA offers because I didn't have the rig. Now that's changed and I want to play Day Z.)
    Worms Reloaded. (Already less than €7 and tempting me.)
    Just Cause 2.
    Something else that I can't remember right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    Arkham city or Arma II for me please, i think thats all im interested in at the minute although im sure steam has other ideas for me

those two and max payne 3, would be nice if any of those three got back into the flash sales, was gutted last night when SR3 got voted in instead of Arkham city :/

Hoping for a Fallout bundle and The Witcher 2. Maybe Civ at the right price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Anno 2070 i'd like or ARMA II CO

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Anno 2070 i'd like or ARMA II CO

Totally forgotten about Anno2070, that's been on my list for a while too :) nice one

Totally forgotten about Anno2070, that's been on my list for a while too :) nice one

Ditto.

I love boardsie reminding me of stuff I want. SF4 AE is so tempting right now. . .

I bought Anno in the last christmas sale and I've managed to clock up a whole 3 hours on it! You really have to hand it to Valve for their business model. I reckon they could sell sand to the Arabs if they offered it at 66% off.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

SF4 AE is awesome.

• Advertisement

Dangerous bloody sale tbh, tempted to buy everything!

Is it 6 or 7 that the sale changes to day 2?

Jernal wrote: »
    Ditto.

I love boardsie reminding me of stuff I want. SF4 AE is so tempting right now. . .

Brilliant game at a brilliant price. If you don't have it, get it and then join us over at the fighting game forums. We have monthly tournaments in town that we stream live online and also put up on youtube with commentary. We also have yearly tournaments with the winner being sent to Vegas to represent us in EVO all expenses paid.

Plug done. Go get it. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Kirby wrote: »
    Rage please. I want it. For about 17 quid? Yes please!

Get voting now.

Personally I wouldn't bother. I wish I could get back the money I spent on that game. Very poor game, aptly named though, as I was in a constant rage playing it as it was impossible to play for more than 10 minutes without it crashing

Dangerous bloody sale tbh, tempted to buy everything!

Is it 6 or 7 that the sale changes to day 2?

Should be 6. It started at 6 yesterday and the daily deals change every 24hrs. I think the current ones will stay at the same price for a few hours after.

Brilliant game at a brilliant price. If you don't have it, get it and then join us over at the fighting game forums. We have monthly tournaments in town that we stream live online and also put up on youtube with commentary. We also have yearly tournaments with the winner being sent to Vegas to represent us in EVO all expenses paid.

shut up shut up, not listening not listening............too late, now i want it :(

And there goes another €7.49 to Mr Valve and CO.

Do I get commission? :p

Our tournaments are called "Inferno" by the way if you want to youtube them. BrianVonDoom is the guy who uploads them.

And that just pushed me over the line. Darn you.
    *Shakes fist*.

Or thank you.
    *Hugs*
    Let's see.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Tropico 3 is a steal. BUY IT.

Tropico 3 is a steal. BUY IT.

Which one? The Steam, Gold or Complete Trilogy? :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement