Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMPORTING FROM TRIEBEL

Options
  • 08-07-2012 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi Guys

I am thinking about importing a .22 Pistol from Triebel germany and was wondering what the whole proccess is,it would be great to hear from anyone who has done this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

You'll need a RFD to bring it in for you. Get the serial no. and apply with your range membership, proof of competence, security setup etc. and when the licence is granted the RFD can bring it in for you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Not sure if the process is the same but when i imported my pistol from Germany i done the following.
    • Got the serial number of the firearm.
    • Applied for, and got the license.
    • Applied to the DoJ for article 7. Supplied a copy of my firearms cert.
    • Sent all paperwork (firearms license, Article 7, etc) to Germany.
    • Had local dealer receive the firearm.
    • Produced my license, and collected my gun from dealer.

This was done a few years ago before the introduction of the new licensing system so not sure if it remains the same, but it's a rough idea of what to expect.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

Ezridax wrote: »
    Not sure if the process is the same but when i imported my pistol from Germany i done the following.
    • Got the serial number of the firearm.
    • Applied for, and got the license.
    • Applied to the DoJ for article 7. Supplied a copy of my firearms cert.
    • Sent all paperwork (firearms license, Article 7, etc) to Germany.
    • Had local dealer receive the firearm.
    • Produced my license, and collected my gun from dealer.

This was done a few years ago before the introduction of the new licensing system so not sure if it remains the same, but it's a rough idea of what to expect.

Exact same for all mine. except make sure you agree the fee with the RFD before you start paperwork, rip of ireland is alive and well. I found that out the hard way on the first import

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭loonymoony

What kind of fee would you be looking at from the RFD?

triskell wrote: »
    ............... except make sure you agree the fee with the RFD before you start paperwork,............
    I was lucky enough that the dealer was sound. He charged me a small fee to cover shipping, and that was it. Never asked for a "commission".

But you are right. Agree the fee beforehand to avoid any nasty surprises.
    What kind of fee would you be looking at from the RFD?
    Some ask for a fee for handling, paperwork, etc. Can vary from a few Euro to hundreds.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

unless the dealer in Germany wants to go through a dealer here then there is no need to employ them.

The import licence from the DOJ will suffice on this side of the water.

So from a legal side I don't even need to involve a RFD in the transaction is that correct? Kinda seems too good to be true seeing as the RFD are over €200 more exspencive thn buying myself from Germany!

loonymoony wrote: »
    So from a legal side I don't even need to involve a RFD in the transaction is that correct?
    I was told i had to ship to a dealer. No option. Mine was restricted. You might be instructed to do the same irrespective of category status.

Did the Super tell you that or the DOJ? Thanks for all the info guys

The Super asked who was i using the DoJ, wanted the name, address, etc of the dealer. So without asking or saying i knew they wanted it done through an RFD.

Also AFAIK if the firearm is restricted (as in my case) it must be sold through an RFD. Shouldn't apply to you for a 5 shot .22 pistol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

the last 3 firearms i imported were restricted. While it wasnt Germany they came from all 3 were posted to my house. Several years ago there was talk of prohibiting personal imports of firearms and ammunition but Im not sure if it was passed. For 200 euro of a price difference id be asking to see in writing exactly where it is in law that says an individual cant

I know the bit you are talking off, and it was repealed as it contravened EU law or something like that.

However i was not going to get into a war of words, especially as the dealer was being more than fair about it. (Basically doing it for free) Others may not have been so lucky.

So best starting point is to get art 7 and go to the local super and see what they say ya?

Starting point would be to go talk to your Firearms Officer. No matter what any of the rest of us have gone through there is no better a person to tell you exactly hat they require for you to get the pistol/license than the man/woman dealing with applications.

Then if all goes well get the serial number of the gun, apply for firearms license, article 7 (if it falls into category B), import, collect, shoot, enjoy.

Talk to your FO though.

K thanks ezridax

Advertisement