Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stabbing in Larchville!!??

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

dlofnep wrote: »
    No to random searches. Absolutely not.

why not? Random searches are a cheap and effective way of stopping people carrying. If you have nothing to hide, i dont see a problem. The problem is that the gardai at the moment dont or cant do anything proactive/effective, scum who carry knifes know that and walk around with complete immunitiy. Some would prefer the status quo over the remote possibility that somehow their civil rights were in question or something by being searched. Zero tolerance worked in NY and is an excellent model to follow if we had a motivated police force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Max Powers wrote: »
    why not? Random searches are a cheap and effective way of stopping people carrying. If you have nothing to hide, i dont see a problem.

I'm sorry, but that "If you have nothing to hide argument" doesn't wash with me. You could use it for almost any breach of privacy. Random searches on houses? Ah but sure, if you've nothing to hide - I don't see a problem. Random recordings of phone calls? Ah but sure, if you've nothing to hide - I don't see a problem.
    The problem with it, is that it will be abused. It would mostly target youths from working class backgrounds, 99% of which will never be involved in violent crime. Such random searches are not only embarrassing, but they would be abused and would involve social profiling. It could actually cause an otherwise law-abiding youth to become disenfranchised with the Gardaí if they are routinely pulled over because they look 'lower class'. Can't say I'd want to be randomly pulled over in the middle of town and patted down by the Gardaí if front of my friends or family, can you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

I've been stopped and searched at random a number of times for no reason and it is both annoying and embarrassing. Waterford's a small place and if you're in town and 2 plain clothes officers have you up against a wall and going through your pockets it can get around, even if they never find anything.

I've never actually asked why I was being stopped cos I've never had anything to hide but as far as I know they can just say you were acting suspiciously even if you're just walking down the road (as I was on a number of occasions).

And before anyone says it: no I don't look like a scumbag :p or come from a disadvantaged area or anything like that. In fact the only reason I can think of is that I always wear hoodies, and I don't mean I'm always walking around with the hood up (unless it's raining), I mean just wearing them with jeans.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭SheFiend

I was searched for sitting on a wall in an area which the Gardai had allegedly had complaints of drug dealing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

When a guard stops you you have to by law give your name and address after that you dont have to give a thing and thats a fact, you dont have to have id on you to prove who you are but if you dont give your name and address you can be arrested i know this as i have attended a meeting about the correct procedures that you and the guards must follow when stopped, if you are stopped and they want to search you they must tell you what act they are searching you on and you can refuse but they do have the right to bring you to the station and make more of a deal of it then its worth......

100 % correct with all that. They have tried to stop me loads of times Ive refused to be searched most times. I just tell them I want a witness but im not refusing to be searched. Your entitled to have a witness there but your also entitled to stay where you are till the witness comes. they usually just look at me and go away all pissed off......... i have never been in trouble I keep asking why its me all the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 wsopchamp

tankbarry wrote: »
    100 % correct with all that. They have tried to stop me loads of times Ive refused to be searched most times. I just tell them I want a witness but im not refusing to be searched. Your entitled to have a witness there but your also entitled to stay where you are till the witness comes. they usually just look at me and go away all pissed off......... i have never been in trouble I keep asking why its me all the time
    LOL.thats funny but ever stop to wonder why u get stopped and searched all the time,maybe the cops are pissed at your previous refusals and just wanna make u suffer a little????does the witness have to be 1 of ur choice or just any independent witness.
    i for one have no problem with guards being be able to search at random.
    a couple of minutes inconvenience not gonna kill anyone ,but the knife that they might find in every 10000 random searches might well be the knife that kills someone.would anyone here like to be that statistic???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

random searches ? come on this aint the bronx we are living in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mermaid12

Yer all very funny aint ye with ur gossip... He was stabbed 3 times in the back by a dirty drug dealing scumbag and jumped on by 5 others rotten scumbags and no he didnt have a knife either u wouldnt be so comical if it was ur father uncle or son lying in a pool of blood not knowing if he would survive or not this town is great for rumours aint it!!!

If ur nt aware of d story dont make a comment!!!! Fukin eejits family have enoughto be dealing wit then cumin on here reading ****e from ppl who tink they know it all.... The only one who had a knife was d dirty coke face <snip>

cocoshovel wrote: »
    This isnt bebo, mermaid12, spell properly at least. But for the most part I agree, people need to stop yapping away like ould biddies on here. Also, talking about this stuff in general like you're part of it should stop too. Those kind of comments reek of pure knacker scum.

Anywhooo, at least Waterford isnt this bad yet, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055432818

http://i.imgur.com/q4w45.jpg

or is it? :eek:
    Sorry i didnt think grammar or spelling came into it when talking about a mans life... I sound like a knacker?? Maybe i sound like a family member who has been through hell the last few days no?? Think about it if you were in my shoes....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

mermaid12 wrote: »
    Sorry i didnt think grammar or spelling came into it when talking about a mans life... I sound like a knacker?? Maybe i sound like a family member who has been through hell the last few days no?? Think about it if you were in my shoes....

I never said you sound like one. im referring to a few posts here previously where people have been talking really shady, and telling us crap. Those posts sounded that way. And the spelling thing is just basic site rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭SLOOPY

mermaid12 wrote: »

How's he doing?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Seeing as this thread is going downhill fast, and hasn't improved from the previous mod warning, I think its safe to say there is nothing further that can be gained from keeping the discussion ongoing. So, on that note, ill lock this topic. Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement