Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Street shrines, Cefalu, Sicily.

• 08-07-2012 6:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭

I was in Cefalu, in Sicily recently. Very old town, overshadowed by a pretty impressive chunk of rock 200 metres high with a probably pretty impregnable castle on top. I ended up taking a lot of pictures of these street shrines that were scattered around the town. My wife wanted to know what the attraction was, she just found them grotesque. I had to agree that was partly the attraction for me as well :rolleyes: but in addition they kind of reminded me of those (mostly marian) shrines you find in the inner city here in Dublin, and the link between deprivation and lack of education and the kind of religious symbolism found here.

7526533120_444a9b0909_z.jpg

7526538306_7171df8f15_z.jpg

Some were shut, I guess they're opened on certain feast days or festivals or something...
    7526540544_85227f3030_c.jpg

Some had neat movie star lighting around the outside (this one has a cool little statue of padre-pio as well if you look closely)
    7521898926_71110cd7db_c.jpg

7521901032_0e808785d8_c.jpg

7521903192_54505ba334_c.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

I was in Cefalu, in Sicily recently. Very old town, overshadowed by a pretty impressive chunk of rock 200 metres high with a probably pretty impregnable castle on top. I ended up taking a lot of pictures of these street shrines that were scattered around the town. My wife wanted to know what the attraction was, she just found them grotesque. I had to agree that was partly the attraction for me as well :rolleyes: but in addition they kind of reminded me of those (mostly marian) shrines you find in the inner city here in Dublin, and the link between deprivation and lack of education and the kind of religious symbolism found here.

They are the same symbols of Christianity as the ones you mention in Dublin. They are common in Sicily which is possibly more Catholic influenced than Ireland. They seem very well maintained. They were mostl likely formed in the time after Sicily was part of Italian re-unification (1861).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

They are the same symbols of Christianity as the ones you mention in Dublin. They are common in Sicily which is possibly more Catholic influenced than Ireland. They seem very well maintained. They were mostl likely formed in the time after Sicily was part of Italian re-unification (1861).

Yeah I know it's much the same iconography. In sicily though they seem to be shrines to individual saints, whereas in Ireland it we've always had a tendency toward Marian devotion, and most of the shrines here seem to reflect that. I'd say a lot of them are considerably older than the mid 1800's as well, Sicily has had a long and varied history, catholic and otherwise.

The third one is interesting as well because of that sign on the right, pointing off to a 'temple of Diana' which is a big megalithic construction up on the mountain overlooking the town, which of course I had to go to as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Yeah I know it's much the same iconography. In sicily though they seem to be shrines to individual saints, whereas in Ireland it we've always had a tendency toward Marian devotion, and most of the shrines here seem to reflect that. I'd say a lot of them are considerably older than the mid 1800's as well, Sicily has had a long and varied history, catholic and otherwise.

Daire- Believe it or not the Saint/ saviour Salvador depicted in many of these shrines was only killed in 1857. The bottom shrine I think is from much more recent than that with the Roman numerals MCMXCVIII I think translating as 1998, perhaps it was restored then but I think probably the date shows its construction.

Edit: I like the photos by the way- particularly the second one, More interesting than the average holiday snaps. I should have stated that given the forum this is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Daire- Believe it or not the Saint/ saviour Salvador depicted in many of these shrines was only killed in 1857. The bottom shrine I think is from much more recent than that with the Roman numerals MCMXCVIII I think translating as 1998, perhaps it was restored then but I think probably the date shows its construction.

Hah. That would suggest a post 1857 construction date all right. Ok, I'll hedge my bets and say that SOME of them show signs of considerable antiquity :D

-edit-

Plus, I have no idea how that angry face got stuck on that post. I was posting from my phone though, probably clicked something by accident ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭EyeBlinks

Was walking through the market area in Naples, where there are loads of these and there in the middle, I kid you not, was a shrine to Maradonna :D:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jaansu

EyeBlinks wrote: »
    Was walking through the market area in Naples, where there are loads of these and there in the middle, I kid you not, was a shrine to Maradonna :D:P

I guess that was post 1990, which was when he helped napoli to the Italian championship. They hold him in very high regard in those parts.

Advertisement