Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bras!

• 08-07-2012 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭

Hi there!

a bit of advice is needed!

I spent most of my teenage years in (what I never realised) was an extremely ill-fitting 36C bra, however, after taking a trip up to La Senza in Derry, I was informed that I was carrying around a lovely set of 34E's! :eek::cool:

The years went by, and I continued on my trips up to La Senza to purchase some gorgeous bras to do me until my next trip up there.

My god, the fit, the selection, the wonderful staff and reasonable prices....could it get any better?

Turns out no. it can't.

Since La Senza shut it's doors in Ireland, I am lost.

I have tried everywhere. M&S, Menarys, Penny's, Dunnes, New Look....you name it I've been there. Nothing works! They all seem to want me to cover my boobs up completely, hiding them away from the world!! :mad:

So basically...I was wondering if anybody knew of anywhere in the North West Region of Ireland that would be similar to La Senza? Preferably a store that only sells underwear, so the staff are well trained and will understand exactly what I want! I'm willing to spend a bit, I understand that very few places will offer the same value as La Senza!

Thanks for listening to my wee rant!

:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭PammyD

Have u tried Debenhams?? I find their underwear staff are very helpful and some of their bras are fab :) or even Bravissimo online maybe..

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭lila44

thanks PammyD, I totally forgot about Debenhams!!

I am reluctant to purchase online, I mean, you could be an E in Debenhams and a FF somewhere else u know what I mean?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I like Debenhams as well, they have their own brand as well as others. Go in and get measured and try on loads! As you said yourself, sizes differ from brand to brand, so it's best to try on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Hello OP! Your story is so similar to mine; my teens were awful with the only La Senza being in Dublin! I'm in London now and there is a wealth of places to shop for properly sized bras.

I'd recommend like the others going into Debenhams. Get yourself measured in bigger brands like Panache, Freya etc, because once you know your size in their styles (balconette, half cup, full cup, whatever), you are less likely to make a mistake on buying online. Check out the Bravissimo website aswell as they have lots of tips on how to 'manipulate' yourself in the bra, if you like!! Makes it more comfy and you feel better.

Do get yourself measured (by eye preferably, but with tape measure if thats what they offer).

I'm 28ff (as of last week, I had been wearing a 30f), but have always found wonderbra to be my brand of choice for years; might be worth trying them? Worth the money too and they still fit well after a while of wearing.

Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

I got measured in M&S and found I was a bigger than I had thought.

Also, the old fashioned drapers stores with the ladies lingerie sections have good trained staff with years of experience I've found, could save a trip if you've got on in your town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Saorenza

I have gotten my last few bras in M&S.

There is a good lingerie shop in Claremorris too. Can't remember the name of it though.

I used to go to Anthony Ryan's in Galway - wouldn't recommend it - only Granny bras for the big bosomed and they made a production of the measuring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

Theres a great little shop in Claremorris Co. Mayo called la belle femme. They will not let you walk out the door in a bad bra and give you loads of time to try on. I dreaded bra shopping - Ive been up and down in size for years and just hated it, dropped in here one day with a dress id bought for a wedding and ended up in the best bra Ive ever had- really suited the dress too.

Id give them a buzz to check out sizes before you head in though!

Good luck

Theres a great little shop in Claremorris Co. Mayo called la belle femme. They will not let you walk out the door in a bad bra and give you loads of time to try on. I dreaded bra shopping - Ive been up and down in size for years and just hated it, dropped in here one day with a dress id bought for a wedding and ended up in the best bra Ive ever had- really suited the dress too.

Id give them a buzz to check out sizes before you head in though!

Good luck

I think that's the shop I was thinking of in Claremorris. Is it kind of on a corner - there is a jewellers near?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

Ya its just down from Blacos jewellers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭ashes79

McElhinnys are great too. Really professional and a good range (not sure i spelt it right though)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Seconding Debenhams there - particularly because they tend to have a lot of their bras from their Gorgeous range (DD+) in the sale with up to 70% off! (I've bought a couple of nice Freya ones for €12 there before)

I find the sizing in M&S a bit crap, very inconsistent, particularly in bigger sizes.

If you're going to order online, it can help to have a look at Bratabase - it gives the measurements and fitting advice for quite a wide range of bras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Ultimo do lovely bras, in Debenhams on Henry St in Dublin, not sure what other ones they're stocked in.

You're far better off avoiding online purchases, sizes vary even within the same brand so its just too much of a risk

By the way, La Senza are apparently small fitting. I went in to one a few months before they closed and tried on my usual sizes (between 34/36 D/DD) and none of them fit. The assistant measured me as an E or an F, I cant remember which. I've been measured in several different stores and never measured as anything above a DD and the assistant said La Senza sizes are quite small so usually you go up a cup size in their bras. Another reason why you should get measured if you're trying a new brand.

Appreciate all the advice ladies!! Heading to debenhams on Saturday, I'll report back with what I find! :)

I must try Debenhams myself after the recommendations here.

Well I must say, debenhams was great. Not as good as la senza (maybe Im not very receptive to change) but still it was good!!

Fantastic selection, great prices (sale on atm) and staff were.... Meh. 50-50. Fitting room girl was just there to earn her wages, but the check out girl couldn't have been nicer!

As for size, I remained the same! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

there's a lady in Debenhams in Blackrock in Dublin and she's excellent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

If you have the patience, TK Maxx sometimes have great bras. But as with anything in TK Maxx if you have trawl through a lot of rubbish first.

Also, have you tried Ann Summers and the likes? Not sure what sex shops are like size wise but I know their stuff tends to at least be more attractive then the beige rubbish you big busted ladies are usually stuck with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Also, have you tried Ann Summers and the likes? Not sure what sex shops are like size wise but I know their stuff tends to at least be more attractive then the beige rubbish you big busted ladies are usually stuck with.

They've an unreal offer of 2 bras for €30, I have about 20 of them (no lie :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭PandaX9

cjmcork wrote: »
    there's a lady in Debenhams in Blackrock in Dublin and she's excellent

Which one?? For helpfulness or accurate measuring/picking out which shape is the most complimentary?

Advertisement