Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Showing a friend around Dublin in a couple of weeks

Options
  • 08-07-2012 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I've an Aussie mate of mine and his missus travelling Europe at the moment. They're stopping over in Dublin on the 22nd (Sunday) for one night only, on their way to the states. They're staying in a hostel at the back of The Westin apparently.

Anyone any suggestions for places I can show them? They'll be landing at 8pm so wont be ready to go out til 9:30 I reckon. Their flight is the following morning.

I could go the easy route and just take them on a pub crawl, which being honest, I'll probably just do (ie, Doyles, Porterhouse, Foggy Dew, Gogartys, Temple Bar). BUT, I would still like to actually show them something decent about the city.

I reckon Guinness and Jameson will be closed at that time, so is there anything else I can show them, or bring them too, in between scoops?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Well sure things will be closed at that time of night so the only options are alcohol and looking at things like the spire and phil lynott.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Not sure if Glasnevin Cemetry do tours on a Sunday - would recommend the tour and maybe a pint in the Gravediggers after. If they don't do the tour on Sundays you might be able to do it yourself I think there's a map on google.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ They would have to climb the gates of the cemetery at that time of the evening....

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Esel wrote: »
    ^ They would have to climb the gates of the cemetery at that time of the evening....

:D:D Doh

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Voodoo_rasher

Keep South of the River. Best, safest policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 CeluiDuDehors

Just go for a walk...O'Connell street, College green, St Patricks cathedral (and if they are hungry get some fish'n'chips in Burdocks), Temple Bar is nice too, show them the brand new "umbrellas" in the meeting house square (there should be a film screening on sunday night by the way, usually starts at 10pm!). Another area I like to show visitors is the docklands, from the convention center to the ocean bar (in front of the Grand canal theatre), always a good impression, especially at night. Maybe a live irish music session at the Cobblestone would be a nice touch if they are interested in irish culture...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

The Wildes' house, which I think is now a museum; the National Museum at Kildare Street, Collins Barracks and especially Kilmainham; the Royal Irish Academy, where they can see ancient Irish illuminated manuscripts (one page on display every day); the Phoenix Park for the deer, etc (get them a three-day pass for DublinBikes); St Patrick's Cathedral (preferably around 7.30pm when the bellringers are practising). I'd personally love to take a Splash Tour, but they're a bit dear at €20. You might even get tickets for that hop-on-hop-off tourist bus trail.

Otherwise, depends on their tastes - literary, alcoholic, musical, sporting, sportive...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Trad session kicks off in Bowe's at about 10 on a Sunday. Worth popping in either on your way out or way back, since it'll be right on their doorstep. I'd trade The Palace for most of the pubs on your crawl list.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

The Wildes' house, which I think is now a museum; the National Museum at Kildare Street, Collins Barracks and especially Kilmainham; the Royal Irish Academy, where they can see ancient Irish illuminated manuscripts (one page on display every day); the Phoenix Park for the deer, etc (get them a three-day pass for DublinBikes); St Patrick's Cathedral (preferably around 7.30pm when the bellringers are practising). I'd personally love to take a Splash Tour, but they're a bit dear at €20. You might even get tickets for that hop-on-hop-off tourist bus trail.

Otherwise, depends on their tastes - literary, alcoholic, musical, sporting, sportive...

Quote:

"They'll be landing at 8pm so wont be ready to go out til 9:30 I reckon. Their flight is the following morning."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,323 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

As above, did you even read the original post?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Birneybau wrote: »
    As above, did you even read the original post?

I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,323 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I did.

Alrighty then

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I did.

But did you understand it?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Laneyh

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Hi,
    I've an Aussie mate of mine and his missus travelling Europe at the moment. They're stopping over in Dublin on the 22nd (Sunday) for one night only, on their way to the states. They're staying in a hostel at the back of The Westin apparently.

Anyone any suggestions for places I can show them? They'll be landing at 8pm so wont be ready to go out til 9:30 I reckon. Their flight is the following morning.

I could go the easy route and just take them on a pub crawl, which being honest, I'll probably just do (ie, Doyles, Porterhouse, Foggy Dew, Gogartys, Temple Bar). BUT, I would still like to actually show them something decent about the city.

I reckon Guinness and Jameson will be closed at that time, so is there anything else I can show them, or bring them too, in between scoops?

Cheers.

You might just make it in time for the ghostbus tour. http://www.dublinsightseeing.ie/ghostbus/index.aspx

That's a good laugh and you get to see a few parts of Dublin

Other than that if they're up for a bit of walking it might be nice to walk as far as the docklands cross over the Samuel Beckett Bridge and see the area around the Grand Canal Theatre ( or Bord Gais as it is now).
    Stop for a pint somewhere there.. Maybe the Ferryman ?
    You can walk back via Windmill lane where they can see the U2 graffiti , head back along Pearse St stop in for a pint in Mulligans Poolbeg St
    Then, head onto Temple Bar for the cheesefest. I find Gogartys pretty good as they usually have dancers as well as musicians

If heading North of the river The Cobblestone and Hughes on Chancery St have more authentic trad sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The ghostbus tour is dire and massively overpriced, it's like something out of father ted. I'd be mortified to bring a visitor on it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Some good ideas in there that i hadnt even considered. I might try squeeze in some sort of amalgamation of them all! Though it'd probably entail sprinting up and down the city to get to them all!! :pac:

Cheers

Advertisement