Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quotes for attic

Options
  • 08-07-2012 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

What would you consider a reasonable price to have an attic floored, (around 80m2 - proper wood floor, not chipboard), light installed, ladder put in, and an additional 150mm of insulation?

I've had numerous builders come out and have a look (I use the term builder loosely in some cases), and there is a chasm between the cheapest and most expensive, and I am not entirely sure what would represent value for money.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

It is difficult to say without a spec. For example I put a Led switch on the light and mount it on the ceiling outside the attic. that way I can see if the light is off in the attic without going up there. This adds a certain amount to the cost of the job. I also use a 5 foot flourescent light in the centre. This is more expensive that simply putting a lampholder on the end of a coil of lighting wire.
    That is just the electrics. The same goes for everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Do you have any insulation there at the moment? I'd wonder if some of the cheaper quotes included that in their price. It's not just a case of what you asked for, there is also a few things that some builders may include anyway, to ensure you enjoy your attic conversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Are you moving the joists? Not many roof spaces can just simply take a floor. You are much better using chipboard as there is less knocking and banging. Your ceiling will appreciate it.
    You do need to give a bit more detail on what you want. Most likely reason for large differences is due to not enough detail to builder. A good builder will go by the book and best practice. Cheap will do the same as DIY.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    A good builder will go by the book and best practice. Cheap will do the same as DIY.
    Cheap gets you a floor. Dear gets you a floor and an insulated roof. As said; not everyone has done proper roof conversions before. Ask to see pictures of their past work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

the_syco wrote: »
    Ray Palmer wrote: »
    A good builder will go by the book and best practice. Cheap will do the same as DIY.
    Cheap gets you a floor. Dear gets you a floor and an insulated roof. As said; not everyone has done proper roof conversions before. Ask to see pictures of their past work.
    Insulation in an attic costs about €300-500. Not a massive difference. Cheap may mean your roof is not compliant but not likely to fall down. It could also mean it will fall down. No idea if it is a conversion or just flooring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,375 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Do joists need to be supplemented? Do tanks need to be moved? Does 'stuff' need to be removed?
    What would you consider a reasonable price to have an attic floored, (around 80m2 - proper wood floor, not chipboard),
    Do you mean OSB? Plywood? Tongue and groove floor boards? Finished oak floor boards? Skirting boards? Floor finish?
    light installed,
    What type? How practical is the wiring?
    ladder put in,
    Do you mean a Stira?
    and an additional 150mm of insulation?
    On the roof? What specification? What area? What finish? Do you expect plasterboard under the insulation? Painted?

Advertisement