Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour has 230v electric fence

• 08-07-2012 7:18pm
    Site Banned Posts: 153 ✭✭

My neighbour has wired an electric fence to the mains to stop scumbags getting in from field at back of house.

My concern is for my children who I dont want touching a 230v circuit. Is this even legal?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

kegzmc wrote: »
    My neighbour has wired an electric fence to the mains to stop scumbags getting in from field at back of house.

My concern is for my children who I dont want touching a 230v circuit. Is this even legal?

Obviously not. This could/would kill!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭hanloj1

Holy crap. This can't be serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

neighbour must be a header if true

you'll have to report it somewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

I wouldn't think twice about asking your friendly neighbour turn that lethal weapon off or else you will have no option but to report them to the guards that you have he has a lethal weapon in his garden! If a child held that they would be fried from that! :-(

• Site Banned Posts: 153 ✭✭kegzmc

Yes thats my concern. I've spoken to him about it and he assured me he only turns it on at night.

But what if he forgets sometime? I was thinking of reporting it if he fails to take it down but he'll know it was me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Alactric

230v? You're sure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

maybe the electric fence unit is just plugged in
    it shouldnt be outputting 230volts
    perhaps he is having you on

Not 100% its either 220 or 230V. Its plugged into the mains and is wired to the fence. He was some huge resistor yoke in the circuit to draw current? I'm not electrical so I dont know why but its certainly mains supplied and not stepped down.

meercat wrote: »
    maybe the electric fence unit is just plugged in
    it shouldnt be outputting 230volts
    perhaps he is having you on

Hes not having me on. Theres more crack in an egg than with this guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Yes thats my concern. I've spoken to him about it and he assured me he only turns it on at night.

But what if he forgets sometime? I was thinking of reporting it if he fails to take it down but he'll know it was me.

It doesn't matter if on day or night. That's not the point it HIGHLY ILLEGAL to have a fence thats 230v for that purpose! If water connects from it to your fence the water will become a conductor and you will have 230v on your side as well

He shouldn't have it full stop. No ifs or buts about it all

• Advertisement

I agree. I'm going to talk to him again tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,627 ✭✭✭TheBody

Is it possibly an agricultural electric fence? They are connected to the mains but there is a transformer to reduce down the voltage.

No if that were the case I wouldnt have a problem. There is no transformer. The thing is completely live.

JUst to confirm its 230vac. I just checked with a multi-meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭confusedeire

i really dont think it is 230v supply it would just trip out his rcd. it might be 230v rectified to 24vdc. if its inside his property by a certain distance it is legal many people use them to keep animals in or out of there property

TheBody wrote: »
    Is it possibly an agricultural electric fence? They are connected to the mains but there is a transformer to reduce down the voltage.

agree

he is winding you up op

Ok fair enough. Thanks.

If he is winding me up why is the meter reading 230V? If I find out hes winding me up I'll open his head with a box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

hopefully its a farm model. Cheetah, Pel or Forcefield etc. Won't do you any harm, but unplesent, you wouldn't hold it for a second kick! They give a shock every second or so. If you ever touched the lead to the spark plug of a lawn mower, its similar. Remember the guy in Ennis who put one to his shop front to stop people pissing on it? Mack in Cavan.

If he is winding me up why is the meter reading 230V? If I find out hes winding me up I'll open his head with a box.

you have just answered your own question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

Hi Kegzmc, great idea! why not open his head with a box, and then see who gets the most favourable reaction from the guards? Do you think perhaps he put up the fence to keep hair trigger lunatics from next door out of his garden? Mack in Cavan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭confusedeire

No if that were the case I wouldnt have a problem. There is no transformer. The thing is completely live.

JUst to confirm its 230vac. I just checked with a multi-meter.

where did you check the voltage from and to

meercat wrote: »
    you have just answered your own question

Yes you are correct. Should I use an oscilloscope to confirm or is this necessary?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Wintergreen

Not 100% its either 220 or 230V. Its plugged into the mains and is wired to the fence. He was some huge resistor yoke in the circuit to draw current? I'm not electrical so I dont know why but its certainly mains supplied and not stepped down.

Your not "electrical" but own a multimeter?

There's no way someone would be so stupid as to put up a fence at that sort of voltage. Id agree with what the others are saying, your neighbour is having you on!

You dont have to be an Electrical Engineer to own a multimeter.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Wintergreen

I just taught it was a little odd given your previous statement!

If the fence is really operating at that voltage (which I seriously doubt!) its very dangerous and you should really be contacting the police. Id imagine its an agricultural fence however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Any pics?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Call the gardai and ask them to make a "house call".

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Alactric

What a mighty thread. Cheered me right up :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,714 ✭✭✭brian_t

How many strands are there in the fence and what height from the ground ?

Advertisement