Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frozen chicken problem.

Options
  • 08-07-2012 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭

Hello folks,

I have a bit of a problem. I currently have 25 chicken fillets in my freezer, well frozen.

Problem being that they were not seperated into freezer bags as usual before they were put in so are now pretty much frozen into a large block.

What should I do to seperate them safely, without thawing and refreezing them.

Advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Darren.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Hello folks,

I have a bit of a problem. I currently have 25 chicken fillets in my freezer, well frozen.

Problem being that they were not seperated into freezer bags as usual before they were put in so are now pretty much frozen into a large block.

What should I do to seperate them safely, without thawing and refreezing them.

Advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Darren.

I'd say your only option is to try and pull them apart while still frozen and wrap them up to put back in the freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

It is very very difficult to separate frozen chicken fillets. If the lump is long and
    flat than it is much easier than if it is a round lump.

My suggestion is to wrap it all in a clean towel and bang it repeatedly on a very hard surface (a tiled patio is good) and hope that it breaks into smaller chunks.

Dont use a good sharp knife to try to separate them - its a very good way to destroy a knife.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

Use a hammer and a chisel to break them up... Thawing them and seperate and put back in the freezer is a health hazard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Have a BBQ with 24 friends...

Or you could defrost them, cook them and then freeze them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

You will not separate them while frozen.
    I'd put them into a sink full of cold water.
    As they defrost slightly you should be able to peel them away from each other.
    Then as you free each one, dry it, wrap it and refreeze.

There is no danger in defrosting them slightly (or even fully if done properly) and refreezing them, despite what the masses might howl!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Don't try to separate them . They will cut pretty handy with a decent knife just cut them up in to usable sizes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

You will not separate them while frozen.
    I'd put them into a sink full of cold water.
    As they defrost slightly you should be able to peel them away from each other.
    Then as you free each one, dry it, wrap it and refreeze.

There is no danger in defrosting them slightly (or even fully if done properly) and refreezing them, despite what the masses might howl!
    This,just defrost enough to pull apart and refreeze and they will be perfect.Some info here on refreezing http://www.fsis.usda.gov/FactSheets/Focus_On_Freezing/index.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

+1,
    Repeat thaw freezing can change the texture of the meat, as the water expands and contracts causing physical damage to cells, so just defrost a little. Like home slow frozen mushrooms will turn to mush when defrosted. There are no magical freezer bacteria which some think exist.
    Use a hammer and a chisel to break them up.
    I would advise a large flat head screwdriver of chisel, cleaned of course. I would also wear thick gloves incase they slip. A knife can just bend.

If you only split them into say 5 blocks of 5 fillets each, then you could dump a frozen block into a pot of hot curry sauce and allow it to defrost them, fish them out and chop up to the desired size of chunks and pop them back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I'd get a butcher to saw them up with a bandsaw into usable size blocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

I went for the classic hammer and chisel and freezer bagged up the pieces. Not exactly shaped like fillets anymore but perfectly edible and avoided the risk of thawing them too much.

Thanks very much all for your suggestions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

I went for the classic hammer and chisel and freezer bagged up the pieces. Not exactly shaped like fillets anymore but perfectly edible and avoided the risk of thawing them too much.

No sweat brother.:cool:.. Glad you have that sorted out...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

What risk?

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

What risk?

The risk of reducing the quality of the meat maybe?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

What risk?

The risk associated with making baby jesus cry.

It's been highlighted previously that food safety associated with topics such as this is not up for discussion here.

Chicken separated, thanks given, thread closed. Drop me a PM if anyone would like to discuss further. Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement