Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avoiding chemicals in wine

Options
  • 08-07-2012 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

Is it possible to make a wine kit successfully without adding the chemicals?

I've just finished primary and racked and it calls for me to add a package that contains potassium metabisulfite (i.e. sulphites) and Potassium sorbate (preservative).

Later there are two sachets of "super finings".

I'd like to avoid adding all of them if possible. We have a filter which I can use to get a clear wine so I'm pretty sure I can just ditch the finings. What about the sulphites? I'm 99% sure this wine will be gone within 6 months of bottling anyway.

Am I good to go?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Khannie wrote: »
    Is it possible to make a wine kit successfully without adding the chemicals?

I've just finished primary and racked and it calls for me to add a package that contains potassium metabisulfite (i.e. sulphites) and Potassium sorbate (preservative).

Later there are two sachets of "super finings".

I'd like to avoid adding all of them if possible. We have a filter which I can use to get a clear wine so I'm pretty sure I can just ditch the finings. What about the sulphites? I'm 99% sure this wine will be gone within 6 months of bottling anyway.

Am I good to go?

It depends, you will need a lot of time to clear it without finings. I have chemical free wine in bottle for over a year and it took them some time to clear perfectly (mayboe 4-5 months). Also, without the additives you're more likely to carry over some yeast, although a filter will help. If you have the time it should work out alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

azzeretti wrote: »
    It depends, you will need a lot of time to clear it without finings.

I have one of these that I was going to just pass the wine through to clear it out. Bought it on my first attempt when the finings didn't do the trick and it did a great job, though it is a slow process (and I was concerned about oxidisation).
    azzeretti wrote: »
    I have chemical free wine in bottle for over a year and it took them some time to clear perfectly (mayboe 4-5 months). Also, without the additives you're more likely to carry over some yeast, although a filter will help. If you have the time it should work out alright.

Is there a problem with carrying over some of the yeast? Flavour mostly I'm guessing. Sounds like you think I should be more or less alright with just the filter.

Advertisement