Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost per square foot

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

We showed that second plan to our architect. House ended up looking nothing like it. We got rid of the toilet and the utility where it as it with no window we had no evening sun. It ended up as one long room instead. The back door comes in where the bathroom is into a utility. The plans now look nothing like that ;). Even the front is different. We also went with a 40 pitch roof to allow converting. We showed that to the architect and he completely changed it for the better. However it has ended up 1850sq foot.

I can imagine the same happening, we are planning on exactly the same as regards to roof pitch to allow for converting if necessary

• Subscribers Posts: 41,536 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Thanks, very informative and well laid out. It will be rural Carlow (we are living nearby in rented accom), I know I've dragged this way off topic by introducing the links. But as you can see the two plans are very different to each other so we don't really have an idea of design yet more an idea of size, our design will be heavily influenced by the landscape, views, neighbouring houses (mainly family houses), our architect and of course budget. Thanks for all the info so far guys, keep it coming especially in relation to costs

the best thing to do is to give your architect a written brief with an idea of room sizes and a list of rooms you want...

then let the architect go do what you are paying him/her to do... which is design the house....

My advice would be not to offer either of those as a starting point.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Thanks, very informative and well laid out. It will be rural Carlow (we are living nearby in rented accom), I know I've dragged this way off topic by introducing the links. But as you can see the two plans are very different to each other so we don't really have an idea of design yet more an idea of size, our design will be heavily influenced by the landscape, views, neighbouring houses (mainly family houses), our architect and of course budget. Thanks for all the info so far guys, keep it coming especially in relation to costs

the best thing to do is to give your architect a written brief with an idea of room sizes and a list of rooms you want...

then let the architect go do what you are paying him/her to do... which is design the house....

My advice would be not to offer either of those as a starting point.

Sounds like sound advice, that's what I'll do so. Any idea on costs per square foot

• Subscribers Posts: 41,536 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Sounds like sound advice, that's what I'll do so. Any idea on costs per square foot

already given

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Builders quoting 65-70 per sq. ft. in Cavan currently for 2 storey houses.
    This is a ball park figure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,936 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Builders quoting 65-70 per sq. ft. in Cavan currently for 2 storey houses.
    This is a ball park figure.
    Two storey houses are cheaper per square foot than bungalows so just keep that in mind.

Thanks guys, having a rough price in mind is great even if it is just to know how the building costs match upto tue mortgage. I work about 50 miles away so am planning on using a contractor rather than direct labour as I won't be able to be on site during working hours to make decisions and chase up no shows, also I think the bank prefer if you use a contractor as a price can be agreed upon and you have some come back afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭lostinashford

Have planning permission to knock and rebuild, keeping existing 3 room cocrere cottage with minor changes and adding 152m2, including 40m2 one and a half story over part of it. Rest of new build flat roof.

Can anyone who's been through construction recently and happy with the outcome give me an idea of cost per square metre?

Planning to build according to regs regarding insulation with blocks and triple glazed alu-clad windows.

Know theres loads more detail needed to be accurate but just after a rough figure for the square metre cost of building to regs now.

In Ashford, Wicklow - thanks in advance :)

Advertisement