Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"been infracted for being uncivil"

Options
  • 08-07-2012 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

The facts are as follows. They relate to the FE1 discussion thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055143169&highlight=memoryacademy
    Some time ago I searched for the thread advertising FE1 manuals so I could post an ad for my own manuals. I couldn’t find the thread. I posted a question on this thread (the FE1 discussion thread) asking for someone to post a link to the FE1 advertisement thread. Nobody answered that question. After waiting some time and it being clear that the “no advertisements” rule was not being enforced on the discussion thread anyway. I posted a link to my ad. Chops018 made a posting complaining about the advertisement rule being flouted and saying there was another thread devoted to advertisements. I responded to his complaint and asked him to supply a link to that thread. Another poster responded by placing a link to the thread which is here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78859622#post78859622
    Subsequent to this several posters placed ads on the discussion thread. the advertiwsment rule was clearly not being enforced at any stage. As far as I can see all these ads have been snipped now so I’m not too sure if I’ll be able to prove this. Repeatedly Chops018 complained in a manner that I and I honestly believe anyone with common sense would find irksome. I accept the fact that the rule regarding advertisements is clear. It was also clearly not being enforced. Chops018 repeatedly states that he comes on the thread to discuss the exams not to see ads. It is arguable that the postings for advertisements are actually useful to some people who are studying for the exams and within the spirit of the thread. I myself have purchases sample answers from people who posted on the thread. I posted an advertisement on the discussion thread because I couldn’t find the ad thread in the first place. These posts for advertisements are made by FE1 students in the same boat as all users of the thread. Chops018 postings on the other hand are of no use to anyone. They are irritating. They are boring. Eventually for the umpteenth time Chops018 repeats his complaint and I responded with the following post.
    Well every other time I get notified about someone posting something on the thread it turns out its you repeating the same complaint. You must have ranted half a dozen times now. I see nothing wrong with these adverts. Some people using the thread will be looking for these manuals sample answers etc. If you’re not interested in the adverts why don’t you just ignore them? There is information on the thread that is irrelevant to me because it relates to subjects I’ve already passed as well as subjects that I’m not doing in my next sitting. I ignore that information; I do not suffer the emotional anguish that you are going through every time you see the thread soiled with vulgar adverts. Maybe if you invest all that energy spent whining into studying you might get three the next time round.

Btw I still have one manual left if anyone’s interested.
    http://www.adverts.ie/school-college...manual/1647309
    I stand by everything I stated in this post and am flabbergasted to be informed that I was banned.
    Here is a copy of the original message which I received.
    Dear seanmk77,

You have been infracted for being uncivil.

Typically, this means that you are posting in a needlessly aggressive or confrontational manner being disruptive on the forum or causing stress for the other members. We don't want that here.

For more information please refer to the Boards.ie FAQ.

If you wish to appeal this infraction you can see details on how to do so here.

Tom Young

Moderator Note

No adverts in this thread and there was no need for that remark
    I wrote the following response to the moderator in private message.
    I have better things to be doing besides appealing your infraction. But out of curiosity would you mind explaining to me how you have come to the conclusion that I have been uncivil? Please give me precise details of the words I have used that you deem uncivil.
    I got this in response.
    1. That thread is not for adverts;
    2. Uncivil:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by seanmk77
    Well every other time I get notified about someone posting something on the thread it turns out its you repeating the same complaint. You must have ranted half a dozen times now. I see nothing wrong with these adverts. Some people using the thread will be looking for these manuals sample answers etc. If you’re not interested in the adverts why don’t you just ignore them? There is information on the thread that is irrelevant to me because it relates to subjects I’ve already passed as well as subjects that I’m not doing in my next sitting. I ignore that information; I do not suffer the emotional anguish that you are going through every time you see the thread soiled with vulgar adverts. Maybe if you invest all that energy spent whining into studying you might get three the next time round.

Btw I still have one manual left if anyone’s interested.
    http://www.adverts.ie/school-college...manual/1647309

Perhaps when you are finished with your "better things" you might go and find some manners, as well as learning to read. The thread says no adverts, therefore you persist with what can only be described as a puerile taunt.

The post was reported. Appeal if you wish. A mere infraction shouldn't bother you that much.
    In my original message to Tom Young I asked for precise details of the words to be uncivil. He responded by simply copying the entire advert with “Maybe if you invest all that energy spent whining into studying you might get three the next time round. Btw I still have one manual left if anyone’s interested. http://www.adverts.ie/school-college...manual/1647309”; highlighted. This is clearly not uncivil. I do not know Chops018 personally. Everything I know about the man is what he himself placed in the public domain. He has placed the fact that he did not pass the three FE1 Exams he needs to pass to gain exemptions in the public domain. I believe the advice I gave the man to be sound advice. The exact expression going through my head at the time was “get a life man.” I refrained from saying this or using any other colloquialisms. I refrained from referring to the fact that he comes across on the thread as being very childish. If Chops018 is offended by what I wrote I frankly think that whatever about his ability to pass the exams he lacks the necessary toughness to be a lawyer. What I wrote was not rude, not discourteous, not coarse. I in fact showed restraint. If the ban is being given for putting the ad am I to take it all the others (and there are many) who placed ads were banned also?
    Finally I take exception to this paragraph in the message from Tom Young:
    Perhaps when you are finished with your "better things" you might go and find some manners, as well as learning to read. The thread says no adverts, therefore you persist with what can only be described as a puerile taunt.
    Apparently the first step in the appeal process is to raise the matter with the moderator in a private message. The response to my private message was sarcastic and a little abusive. I do not need advice from the moderator of the thread regarding my literacy or manners. I repeat the fact that I have frankly better things to do but the tone of the response was so disrespectful I’m making the appeal. I don’t think I’ve done anything warranting being banned. I approached the thread in good faith. I haven’t wasted peoples time making posts if I have nothing intelligent or informative to say. I appreciate that telling the whole story from beginning to end has been long-winded and thank you for your patience.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Let me make sure I got this right.

You were infracted for advertising.
    You came to the DRT to dispute that infraction and....you advertised again. Not one time, not two times, but three times.

The infraction was generous.
    I'm not that generous to time sinks.
    Site banned, take it up in Prison.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement