Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom broadband set static ip on xyxel router?

• 08-07-2012 8:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭

I have a cctv dvr which I want to monitor remotely over the web.

Eircom Broadband have supplied me with a static ip address and a subnet mask: 255.255.255.255

They gave no advice about how to set this up in my router (a xyxel)

I set the cctv dvr with an ip address and set up port forwarding on the router for the three required ports.

I've been able to access the cctv locally using the dvr ip address but not externally using the eircom supplied static ip address.

Can someone please advise what router settings I need to change to make the static ip visible remotely? I suspect its still using the standard dynamic eircom ip.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

http://ipchicken.com to see your ip address, make sure you've got the right ports open, then it should work. you don't need to do anything on your end to get the static ip working, your router will automatically be assigned it, and then it won't change.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

On that router you may need to set your firewall to low.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 mickquinn05

If you get really stuck let me know I can login remotely to your PC and show you hows its done...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Here is a good site we use to check open ports.
    http://www.canyouseeme.org/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you get really stuck let me know I can login remotely to your PC and show you hows its done...
    No offence to you, BUT, never ever give somebody you dont know in person RDP access.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 mickquinn05

ED E wrote: »
    No offence to you, BUT, never ever give somebody you dont know in person RDP access.
    No Bothers fair advice... Would needless to say tell him who I am and my company, we use web based remote access software for supporting clients, (some we know some we dont) they also view what we are doing and this is recorded. Was trying to be helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭thejuggler

An update on this.

Still couldn't get this working. Eircom phone support sent me a replacement Xyxel router but the problem remians the same. The phone tech didn't think it would be possible to access the router or the forwarded ports on the web. Has anyone done this successfully? Otherwise I've just bought a static ip for nothing.

Advertisement