Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making the most of this?

Options
  • 08-07-2012 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭

Yo, I got a rig off my brother for free & was wondering what the best GPU I'd be able to get for it, the mobo is a p5ne-sli, & cpu is an overclocked core 2 duo, 4gig ram, windows 7 32bit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Budget? And what is your PSU model? What CPU model?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

The motherboard can take any GPU so technically the best you could get is the €1k GTX 690.
    The real limiting factors are your CPU as there is no point in having a crazy powerful GPU and the CPU can't keep up and the PSU, your power supply will need to have enough watts to power whatever GPU you are getting and it will need the required power plugs for the GPU.

So do you have more info on the PSU?
    If your not sure of the model pop off the side panel take a pic of the sticker on the PSU that details the wattage and upload it for us to have a look at.

IMO a very well balanced GPU for you would be a Radeon HD 6870, it will play all modern games at 1080p no prob, you might have to sacrifice some details for the GPU killing games like BF3 but it's a great GPU and is very good value.
    Oh one other thing I forgot, might be kind of important :P
    What's your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

say 150 euro budget, I don't mind getting 2nd hand stuff, PSU is Corsair VX 450W & CPU is an E6750 @3.20ghz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

As Fluffy said, get a 6870. Look on Komplett.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

Eboggles wrote: »
    As Fluffy said, get a 6870. Look on Komplett.
    Anything else I should check out, Maybe a little cheaper? 6870 sounds like great value though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

If your looking for cheaper you can get a 6870 for €131~ from pixmania.
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/11391849/art/amd/radeon-hd-6870-oem-1-gb-g.html
    It says it's an OEM model but I have seen people report that pix actually send out aftermarket cards which would make it a very good deal.

To get it for that price use the €7 off from this site.
    http://promotionalcodes.ie/pixmania-discount-code/
    Currently the code is PIXIESUMMER7 but it expires this Wednesday the 11th.

Or amazon has some cheap prices,
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/XFX-Radeon-HD-687A-ZHFC-Graphics-Memory/dp/B005C31F2M/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1341783131&sr=1-3
    Not sure about the XFX cards, I've heard they run quite hot.

Advertisement