Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does geography( hons) project involve?

• 08-07-2012 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭

Doing this subject this year and wondering if there is anything I can do to prepare for project? Is planet and people worth getting or just get the book by Sue Honan? Thanks:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

The project depends on what you choose, I think most do geomorphological processes but you can do things like counting cars or something. We went to a river valley and measured the width, depth, wetted perimeter, slope and speed of flow of the water. Its not difficult really, my teacher gave us handouts but I'm not sure what book they were from - someone else might know a good source :)

If you mean exam skills then, while its AMAZING, you'll need a book. I used Today's World 1, 2 and 3 but to be blunt I found them awful :pac: Really lacking in information especially for the awkward sections my teacher picked and I was on the internet for hours scavenging extra information. Towards the end of 6th year we got sheets from a new book, I'm not 100% sure of the name but I think its by Sue Honan and I think it was called Patterns and Processes in <Physical/Regional/Human/Economic, depending on the section>. There's also another version for the option sections but because I never got to use them I dont know a lot about them, theyre definitely the best though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Nicole.

Yeah, it really does depend on your teacher's choice. If you knew what topic the Sixth Years in your school did last year, it will generally be the same. We studied a feature of deposition and we used a beach as our research topic.

We didn't use many additional books for our research project. We used our Core book which had a bit about beach formation and we used the internet. Our teacher also gave us handouts and she had a book which had diagrams of trundle wheels etc in it and we just shared it between us.

All you need to do is really understand the process that you're studying and the rest will be easy. Don't go on your geography trip without first understanding what you're meant to be doing ie using the instruments etc; it makes it pointless because you end up wandering aimlessly and panicing later.

Know how to do different types of graphs as you will be showing lots of different types of data you collected on your geography trip in them.

Also if you knew the topic that your school does look up important definitions for different processes active in your research topic. For example, long shore drift was important for beach formation so I used a definition of long shore drift in my project. Make sure that your defintions have sources and that they're a little different from other people's so that you have the edge.

There might be instruments that you have to make at home yourself before the trip but those are generally made the night before :L We had to make a view finder which looks kind of like a quadrat, it has 9 rectangular holes in it, surrounded by a rectangular frame made out of cardboard. We simply looked through that so that we could draw the beach properly. We also could have made a climometer which measured the slope of the sanddunnes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭shinesun

Thanks a mil. Will wait till Sept to see what teacher is doing.
    Unfortunately it's been a long time since I did the leaving so no idea what sixth years covered last year.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 water_piano

Losing a nights sleep, that's what it involves.

Ha ha that bad eh.;)

• Advertisement

When is the deadline for the proj?
    Leaving cert evening classes in pearse college do not start back until the 24th sept so I'm really hoping its oct?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

We did ours in May 2011 (i.e. May of 5th year) and sent off the projects in March or April of 6th year, but I really dont know how that'll work in one year (not that it'd be hard, just I didnt do it that way!) - but the deadline certainly isnt October! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

shinesun wrote: »
    When is the deadline for the proj?
    Leaving cert evening classes in pearse college do not start back until the 24th sept so I'm really hoping its oct?!

its mid april

Patchy~ wrote: »
    We did ours in May 2011 (i.e. May of 5th year) and sent off the projects in March or April of 6th year, but I really dont know how that'll work in one year (not that it'd be hard, just I didnt do it that way!) - but the deadline certainly isnt October! :P

K cool thanks.panic over.;)

Advertisement