Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Student Summer Benefits

• 08-07-2012 8:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all

I'm 22 a college student and living with my parents.

Am I entitled to claim anything at the moment while out of college. I've no job and I couldn't find one for the summer. Does the fact that I am still in full time education (during term time) mean that I am not entitled to any benefits.

I have been advised to claim that I am unsure if I will be returning to college next year in order to get benefits.

Would the fact that I was receiving benefits during the summer effect my grant application.

My father is on disability and since I live in the same house would the fact that I was receiving anything have any effect on him.

One last thing is there a wait for applications to be processed and would this waiting period mean that I won't receive benefits till I am back in college.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Does the fact that I am still in full time education (during term time) mean that I am not entitled to any benefits.

yes

I have been advised to claim that I am unsure if I will be returning to college next year in order to get benefits.
    you would have to get a letter from college saying you are not registered anymore and wont be returning next year

Would the fact that I was receiving benefits during the summer effect my grant application.
    It would be added to your parents income, so only if youa re close to the limit

My father is on disability and since I live in the same house would the fact that I was receiving anything have any effect on him.

He may be claiming €29.80 per week for you, if you claim this will be cut off as soon as you make the claim and well before you get paid JSA

One last thing is there a wait for applications to be processed and would this waiting period mean that I won't receive benefits till I am back in college.

See the sticky above, depending on what means are in your household, it could take you 3 weeks just to get all the documents in, it could be 10 weeks before you get a payment, if you return to college than you could forfeit a payment as they could argue you were not actively looking for work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

wmpdd3 wrote: »

I think the 2012/2013 grant application is based on 2011 earnings only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Does the fact that I am still in full time education (during term time) mean that I am not entitled to any benefits.

yes

you would have to get a letter from college saying you are not registered anymore and wont be returning next year

He may be claiming €29.80 per week for you, if you claim this will be cut off as soon as you make the claim and well before you get paid JSA

See the sticky above, depending on what means are in your household, it could take you 3 weeks just to get all the documents in, it could be 10 weeks before you get a payment, if you return to college than you could forfeit a payment as they could argue you were not actively looking for work
    Thanks for your very good answer. Just regarding the 29.80 that you say he can claim for me that stoped when I turn 22.
    I think the 2012/2013 grant application is based on 2011 earnings only
    While you have to give a statement of 2011 earnings I think you have to also give a declaration that your means have not changed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Sorry, i missed that you were 22.

Advertisement