Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland's worst or most pointless 'visitor attractions'

• 08-07-2012 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭

Ladies and Gentleman, start your brickbats....

REAL ones, the Stump Of St. Kevin or The Holy Stone Of Clonricard don't count :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Dublin.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Cork Butter Museum.

(Google it, it is a genuine museum)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Ireland in general

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Tayto Park.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

That leprachaun thing on jervis st, total cringe when i walked past it each time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

knock ...tackiest place in ireland

and the apparition never happened in the first place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

The house from Father Ted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

I'll probably get flak for this but:

The Hill of Tara

It really is just a grass hill where the only thing you need to do is avoid the sheep and cow **** while walking.

At least at, say, Newgrange, there is a visible attraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Rhand

The Spire in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

The giants causeway, carrickareed bridge, dunluce castle....sometimes I think that NI doesn't have anyother visitor attractions.
    These three are trotted out for every single tourist advert for NI. There are loads of other nice things up there but they dont get a look in!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

The Japanese Gardens

If I wanted to see a Japanese garden I'd go to Japan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Definitely the spire

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭criticalcritic

Nelsons Monument in Phoenix Park

An ugly big lump to commemorate the pompus Brits victory over the pompus French, named after an Irishman who hated Ireland
    Well the Brits areant in charge anymore so lets blow it up

Oh yea and the Spire, I can only imagineits a tribute to Inner City Dublins youth fondness for sharp things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

The blarney (toilet) stone

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

fryup wrote: »

You don't say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

An ugly big lump to commemorate the pompus Brits victory over the pompus French, named after an Irishman who hated Ireland

Oh yea and the Spire, I can only imagineits a tribute to Inner City Dublins youth fondness for sharp things

Nelson's Monument?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

The Cliffs of Moher. Heard so much about them and was so sorely disappointed when i got there.

joolsveer wrote: »

Nelson's Monument?

Wellington sorry, I always get them two arseholes mixed up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Nelson's Monument?

Think he means the Wellington Monument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

But Wellington was Irish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

One presumes you are referring to the Wellington Monument, says a lot for your knowledge that you couldn't even get the name right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

"Just because one is born in a barn, doesn't make one a horse"-his words.

SocSocPol wrote: »

One presumes you are referring to the Wellington Monument, says a lot for your knowledge that you couldn't even get the name right!

Sorry Einstein,

I bet your watching mastermind and getting answering all the questions right

Good lad

:rolleyes:

nelson's pillar was blown up in 66

thats the wellington monument in pheonix park...why don't u blow it up if you hate it so much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

The blarney (toilet) stone

An attraction for gullible fat Americans in track suits. Eejits handing over money to kiss and dirty diseased stone. No thanks, i don't want any coldsores today thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

You don't seem to be the full ticket. What exactly is it about Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington that makes you think he was an "arsehole"? You must be something of an intellectual giant to talk about him with such disdain!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 johnjoe7

The spire is a manipulators party trick, make no mistake about it. You think they didn't attach any kind of monitoring system at the top of it which spies over the entire city and beyond, think again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭srm23

• Advertisement

johnjoe7 wrote: »
    The spire is a manipulators party trick, make no mistake about it. You think they didn't attach any kind of monitoring system at the top of it which spies over the entire city and beyond, think again.

*thinks again*

Sorry, I still think that's a ludicrous idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

The Spire.

bwatson wrote: »

You don't seem to be the full ticket. What exactly is it about Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington that makes you think he was an "arsehole"? You must be something of an intellectual giant to talk about him with such disdain!

'Just because one is born in a stable does not make one a horse'

His words in regards being Irish by birth

The words of an arsehole

I bet you have the royal wedding on tape

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Red Hand wrote: »

"Just because one is born in a barn, doesn't make one a horse"-his words.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Wellesley,_1st_Duke_of_Wellington
    Wellington is erroneously reputed to have responded to comments regarding his Irish birth by stating that "being born in a stable does not make one a horse". This was in fact a quote made about him by Irish Nationalist politician Daniel O'Connell.[142]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I friend of mine from Germany came over and wanted to see a historical Irish site so to the Rock of Cashel we went.

What a disappointment that was. I mean the thing looks impressive and really grand from far away and you expect great things but the tour was the most pathetic thing ever. A total of 3 rooms we went through. No historical facts whatsoever, the only thing she would talk about was the struggle to preserve the castle and what it takes and what it costs (hint, hint) blabla and the only 'room' that wasn't an actual former room with no roof over our heads was full of stuff ala 'well we don't actually have anything from that area and from that period but that carpet we brought here would be close enough to what may have been in here at the time'. :confused:
    I learned zero on who built it, who reigned there, who they were, what happened to them, zilch.

Total waste of time. Surely all those Americans coming in busloads in the summer expecting whatnot must be thinking this is a p1sstake or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

*insert popular Irish tourist attraction to be cool*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

The Cliffs of Moher visitor centre. A thing that looks like the teletubby house and cost 30 million to build. All the arsin about they done at that site was completely unnecessary.

The worst is now they want, or have installed (i don't know) a paywall around the whole Cliffs of moher area just to force people to pay an entry fee so they can reclaim the money they should never have spent on the visitor centre that nobody wants to go into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

In fairness, what apparition ever really happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Ailwee Cave, it's just a big load of rocks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

srm23 wrote: »

This video!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

Boskowski wrote: »
    I friend of mine from Germany came over and wanted to see a historical Irish site so to the Rock of Cashel we went.

What a disappointment that was. I mean the thing looks impressive and really grand from far away and you expect great things but the tour was the most pathetic thing ever. A total of 3 rooms we went through. No historical facts whatsoever, the only thing she would talk about was the struggle to preserve the castle and what it takes and what it costs (hint, hint) blabla and the only 'room' that wasn't an actual former room with no roof over our heads was full of stuff ala 'well we don't actually have anything from that area and from that period but that carpet we brought here would be close enough to what may have been in here at the time'. :confused:
    I learned zero on who built it, who reigned there, who they were, what happened to them, zilch.

Total waste of time. Surely all those Americans coming in busloads in the summer expecting whatnot must be thinking this is a p1sstake or something.

ha ha U crazy!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Think he means the Wellington Monument.
    The Wellington Memorial ;) There's the answer to a tricky pub quiz question btw, no need to thank me :)

Agreed with whoever said that the Leprechaun Museum in Dublin is worst. Utter crap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

the spire or yer man on o connell street selling yokes by the statue..if youre a tourist and you get off the bus,all you see first thing is junkies alcos having a go at each other its everywhere,and of course no gards to be seen..

new york city,had a zero tolerance policy,when in the 60'/70's/80's,there was a rise in drug use and pimps and prostitutes,they didnt do much about it in the beginning,and crime stabbings and shootings went through the roof,new york was a very dangerous place,but now its safe enough thanks to a zero tolearance policy,one they see congregations of junks and such they move them on quickly or haul them into jail to cool off for a few hours..

cocoshovel wrote: »
    The Spire.

you know what......i like the spire

am i the only one???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    That leprachaun thing on jervis st, total cringe when i walked past it each time
    Have you ever called into the museum?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 johnjoe7

*thinks again*

Sorry, I still think that's a ludicrous idea.

You are THE most liberal wej I have ever come across. So I'm not surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

am i the only one???

I think it looks great from Henry St. I don't hate it, I just think it was a missed opportunity to put a structure that tourists and locals alike could have ascended for a nice view of the city.

johnjoe7 wrote: »
    You are THE most liberal wej I have ever come across. So I'm not surprised.

I don't think liberal or conservative has anything to do with it.

Your theory just doesn't make any sense. Such a device would probably be very expensive and a nightmare to maintain (covertly, one would presume, making the job even more difficult).
    There's also no need for it in a city well-covered by CCTV.

I think it looks great from Henry St. I don't hate it, I just think it was a missed opportunity to put a structure that tourists and locals alike could have ascended for a nice view of the city.

you got the hopstore for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

BraziliaNZ wrote: »

had the misfortune of being dragged there by 2 American friends who wanted to go...i told them i read reviews online and no one had a good word to say about it.

45 minutes of my life i will never get back! awful awful waste of time and money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

cocoshovel wrote: »
    The Spire.
    Rhand wrote: »
    The Spire in Dublin.
    Duffff-Man wrote: »
    Definitely the spire

You know guys, I hate to break it to y'all but the spire is not a tourist attraction. It has no tourist facilities, you cant climb it, you cant enter it, there are no gift shops.

am i the only one???

No, I like it.

Yeah, although I like it, being able to climb something there would be nice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement