Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland's worst or most pointless 'visitor attractions'

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

the spire
    its not even that tall
    why even build it

its more of a meeting point if you and your mates get split up or lost or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

I don't think liberal or conservative has anything to do with it.

Your theory just doesn't make any sense. Such a device would probably be very expensive and a nightmare to maintain (covertly, one would presume, making the job even more difficult).
    There's also no need for it in a city well-covered by CCTV.

Theres a big camera on top which can see into everybody's house and it has a massive zoom camera and it can see through walls. Nobody is safe from the centre to Tallaght, and that equivalent radius.

Also it has a massive microphone which hears everything.

saiint wrote: »
    the spire
    its not even that tall
    why even build it

its more of a meeting point if you and your mates get split up or lost or something

le sigh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

SocSocPol wrote: »
    One presumes you are referring to the Wellington Monument, says a lot for your knowledge that you couldn't even get the name right!

Actually the Wellington Testimonial, as it was built while he was still alive.
    I think it looks great from Henry St. I don't hate it, I just think it was a missed opportunity to put a structure that tourists and locals alike could have ascended for a nice view of the city.

The only nice view is in the rear-view mirror. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Carbon Bootprint

You know guys, I hate to break it to y'all but the spire is not a tourist attraction. It has no tourist facilities, you cant climb it, you cant enter it, there are no gift shops.
    Such things are not necessary for something to be considered to be a tourist attraction, and when present they generally give a cheezy tacky feeling to the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

Ceide Fields, you drive into the middle of no where for a weird pyramid, it's weird.

Such things are not necessary for something to be considered to be a tourist attraction, and when present they generally give a cheezy tacky feeling to the place.

But by and large they are there, for instance the Eiffel tower can be entered, climbed, gift shops etc.

The spire is not a tourist attraction. I have taken dozens of people around Dublin, on the famed red bus, or whatever colour bus. Although the Spire gets a mention, it is not an attraction. It is not a stop. People do not get off to see it, to walk around it etc.

That stop is the O'Connell st. stop. Not the Spire stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭criticalcritic

How about Rosanna Davidson, she looks nice in the paper

But up close looks like a sweeping brush wearing make up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

fryup wrote: »
    you know what......i like the spire

am i the only one???

no, i like it too. and to the nay sayers in this thread, it isnt an attraction its a monument

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

saiint wrote: »
    the spire
    its not even that tall
    why even build it

that's what the GPO is for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

The Spire is a useful navigation tool for culchies visiting the city, I'd be lost without it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Owen_S wrote: »
    The Spire is a useful navigation tool for culchies visiting the city, I'd be lost without it.

i dont need a piece of piping to guide me around Dublin

i dont need a piece of piping to guide me around Dublin

Not for you then, but its not all about you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Statue of Bill Clinton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭mockingjay

Fry Model Railway in Malahide - tiny!

• Advertisement

Squaredude wrote: »
    Statue of Bill Clinton

where is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

eth0 wrote: »
    The Cliffs of Moher visitor centre. A thing that looks like the teletubby house and cost 30 million to build. All the arsin about they done at that site was completely unnecessary.

The worst is now they want, or have installed (i don't know) a paywall around the whole Cliffs of moher area just to force people to pay an entry fee so they can reclaim the money they should never have spent on the visitor centre that nobody wants to go into.

Any "interpretive centre" in the country is shíte. Really they're just a shop to sell tat and give a reason to charge extra money into the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

I am probably going to get mauled for saying this but The Burren all it is fields upon fields of stoney ground and brown grass i did not find it particularly scenic at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Not for you then, but its not all about you.

yes it is:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

The Holy Stone of Clonrichert really is a national attraction especially since it was upgraded to a class II relic.
    The Cliffs of Moher visitor centre. A thing that looks like the teletubby house and cost 30 million to build. All the arsin about they done at that site was completely unnecessary.

The worst is now they want, or have installed (i don't know) a paywall around the whole Cliffs of moher area just to force people to pay an entry fee so they can reclaim the money they should never have spent on the visitor centre that nobody wants to go into.

Ah shur he loves them aul cliffs.

• Advertisement

where is that?

Ballybunion,Co.kerry

Squaredude wrote: »

dear god i thought you were joking

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

johnjoe7 wrote: »
    The spire is a manipulators party trick, make no mistake about it. You think they didn't attach any kind of monitoring system at the top of it which spies over the entire city and beyond, think again.

Fat lot of good it doing, when you consider the debacle in the park last night.

Ceide Fields, you drive into the middle of no where for a weird pyramid, it's weird.

More the edge of nowhere,
    I liked it,it may have be pointless if you didn't take the guided tour,
    most of these centers seem to be the same shape I'm not mistaken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Stinicker wrote: »
    The Holy Stone of Clonrichert really is a national attraction especially since it was upgraded to a class II relic.

Ah shur he loves them aul cliffs.

??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

'Just because one is born in a stable does not make one a horse'

His words in regards being Irish by birth

The words of an arsehole

I bet you have the royal wedding on tape

His quote, 'just because one was was born in a stable, does not make one a horse' was uttered in a parliment debate with Daniel O'Connell. It was a lightweight, throwaway bit of banter, similar to what we hear in the Dail today. Also, O'Connell allegedly responded "but it does make one an Ass" and everyone laughed, including the Duke.

In fact, having been born in Dublin, and being an MP for Trim and living here for a significant portion of his life, I would consider him an Irishman - even the term 'wellington boot' arised from him, and his link to Dublin after he visited his favourite shoemaker on Capel St to design a sturdy boot for warzones etc (despite what it says on Wiki about a london shoemaker coming up with the idea)

Before people ask for sources, there are a few dozen books in your local library that testify to this. But then again, history has a nasty habit of blurring the facts. So who really knows. And who really cares actually. We claim people who weren't even born here, as Irish (Big Cas, Andy Townsend, James Connolly etc) so why not the people that actually were

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

You are THE most liberal wej I have ever come across. So I'm not surprised.

Almost three hours later, I realise I was called a Jew.
    I thought "wej" was some kind of Dublin slang word.
    *sends Mossad hit squad after johnjoe7, alerts sniper on top of Spire*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

The sectarian murals in the north :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Almost three hours later, I realise I was called a Jew.
    I thought "wej" was some kind of Dublin slang word.
    [COLOR="White"]*sends Mossad hit squad after johnjoe7, alerts sniper on top of Spire*[/COLOR]

I'm just gonna jewhorn this in - you are the king of jew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

John Doe1 wrote: »
    The sectarian murals in the north :rolleyes:

You mean British-occupied Ireland?
    /gets out my paint brush

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

LH Pathe wrote: »
    I'm just gonna jewhorn this in - you are the king of jew

I knew I should've made my username more different from my actual title, but the Elders of Zion convinced me that the Gentile sheeple would be too distracted by the media to notice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

You mean British-occupied Ireland?
    /gets out my paint brush

In what sense is it "occupied"?:p

dear god i thought you were joking
    I wish!I have to walk past the damn thing everyday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

The spire is a manipulators party trick, make no mistake about it. You think they didn't attach any kind of monitoring system at the top of it which spies over the entire city and beyond, think again.
    :eek:

Scary stuff! And because you seem so certain of this I'm confident you'll post reasons as to why you're so convinced, possibly some proof, rather than just having a feeling it's the truth.

Standing by anyway for your explanations as to why. Looking forward to it - seems interesting. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    Definitely the spire
    Who ever went to Dublin to see the spire though? God help us, times must be tough.

Ailwee Cave, it's just a big load of rocks
    Yeah, that place is terrible crap. A small, narrow, pointless hole in the ground. Father Ted tourist attraction crap.

Tour guide: 'We found some bear bones in this cave'.
    Me: 'He probably hung himself'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

no, i like it too. and to the nay sayers in this thread, it isnt an attraction its a monument

What is it a monument to? If nothing, then what is the point of it, if it's not meant to be a tourist attraction either?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭mikeystipey

Boskowski wrote: »
    I friend of mine from Germany came over and wanted to see a historical Irish site so to the Rock of Cashel we went.

What a disappointment that was. I mean the thing looks impressive and really grand from far away and you expect great things but the tour was the most pathetic thing ever. A total of 3 rooms we went through. No historical facts whatsoever, the only thing she would talk about was the struggle to preserve the castle and what it takes and what it costs (hint, hint) blabla and the only 'room' that wasn't an actual former room with no roof over our heads was full of stuff ala 'well we don't actually have anything from that area and from that period but that carpet we brought here would be close enough to what may have been in here at the time'. :confused:
    I learned zero on who built it, who reigned there, who they were, what happened to them, zilch.

Total waste of time. Surely all those Americans coming in busloads in the summer expecting whatnot must be thinking this is a p1sstake or something.

have to agree with you here, the Rock is pretty sh1te inside (and thats coming from a Tipp man)...was in Blarney castle a few weeks back and thought it was really interesting actually!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

He's a Jew? As in, that's his ethnicity?

Would conservative people agree with your theory?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Oaklilly

The Bushmills distillery in County Antrim, hardly anything in the distillery apart from bottles of whiskey to buy and small glasses to drink.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Shur thats all ya need hi,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Who ever went to Dublin to see the spire though? God help us, times must be tough.

I'm sure there's some stupid fat balding American, with shorts, white socks and sandals, a hawaiian shirt with a camera saying to himself somewhere.;)

Anyway, I would say the Spire too. But I don't know if I'd call it a tourist attraction. A tourist attraction would actually warrant a reason for visiting it. In which case nobody is interested in going to see this big bloody eyesore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

A shallow Liffey on a dry summers day....uch...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    That leprachaun thing on jervis st, total cringe when i walked past it each time

I have been twice. They should have statue of me in reception.

Never been but the Blarney Stone sounds fairly crap..

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Yeboah

have to agree with you here, the Rock is pretty sh1te inside (and thats coming from a Tipp man)...was in Blarney castle a few weeks back and thought it was really interesting actually!

Cahir Castle is only ten miles south of the Rock and is a much better tourist attraction which has featured in various films and tv shows and has a lovely backdrop of the Galtees yet only gets a fraction of the tourists.The age of the Rock is what appeals to American tourist in particular. Anything built before 1798 they love as the can say "my god, this was build before our country even existed".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Yeah, that place is terrible crap. A small, narrow, pointless hole in the ground. Father Ted tourist attraction crap.

Tour guide: 'We found some bear bones in this cave'.
    Me: 'He probably hung himself'.

Was Harry Redknapp there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

The statues of jedward in grafton street :p:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

the spire or yer man on o connell street selling yokes by the statue..if youre a tourist and you get off the bus,all you see first thing is junkies alcos having a go at each other its everywhere,and of course no gards to be seen..

new york city,had a zero tolerance policy,when in the 60'/70's/80's,there was a rise in drug use and pimps and prostitutes,they didnt do much about it in the beginning,and crime stabbings and shootings went through the roof,new york was a very dangerous place,but now its safe enough thanks to a zero tolearance policy,one they see congregations of junks and such they move them on quickly or haul them into jail to cool off for a few hours..
    Have a read of Freakonomics. The broken windows theory was utterly debunked: New York got cleaned up because of Roe V Wade.

Basically, the scumbags were being aborted instead of dragged up by parents who didn't want them.

Sleepy wrote: »
    Have a read of Freakonomics. The broken windows theory was utterly debunked: New York got cleaned up because of Roe V Wade.

Basically, the scumbags were being aborted instead of dragged up by parents who didn't want them.
    Well no, I don't think it was 'totally' debunked - their Roe V. Wade theory is just an alternate explanation. It's pretty difficult to prove things like that conclusively though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Blarney Stone

• Advertisement
Advertisement