Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most suitable operating system for me?

Options
  • 08-07-2012 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭

I've recently starting working as a graduate software developer with a web applications company. We use ASP.NET MVC3 with C# along with all the usual front end stuff (Html, CSS, jQuery).

I'm looking to buy my first smart phone and one thing that I might like to do in the future is to create some basic apps. Based on what I'm using in work would certain operating systems be more suitable for me than others?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Perhaps a Windows phone? But tbh it depends on why you want to develop mobile apps. For the craic or for money.
    Iphone and Android have established markets and dev kits so that's what I would go with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

If you're already developing for .NET, then a WP7 device would be the obvious choice, although the jury is still out on whether it will grab a significant share of the market. As for money, I've no idea if anyone is making any money out of that market yet.

Android is not a bad choice, in that it's easy enough to get into and the development language, Java, is either something you probably already know and if not would not be a million miles away from C#. Financially-wise though it's much harder to make money from it than the iPhone.

iOS (iPhone) uses Objective-C, but the main issue there is that development requires a machine running MacOS, so that unless you already have a Mac, are willing to buy a Mac or set up a partition on your PC to run MacOS, it's largely a non-runner.

Advertisement