Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours Dog

• 08-07-2012 8:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭

Nothing like the previous thread on neighbours and their dogs I swear.

My new neighbours have a dog. No problem with that but we share a garden and he doesn't like me being out in the garden. Not a big problem as I only go out there to smoke but I'd rather not stress him out and I'd like to be friends.

I assume it's a territory thing but is there anything I can do to help him get used to me?

I've tried talking to him but he's having none of it. I assume offering some treats might help (talk to the owners first obviously). Or perhaps ask the neighbours if I can come over so he sees me from more of a vistor/friend perspective?

Anything else I could try?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

That's a disaster in the making; particularly as you were there first.

You'd need to be talking to your neighbours immediately. They have to be aware &sort this out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

That's a disaster in the making; particularly as you were there first.

You'd need to be talking to your neighbours immediately. They have to be aware &sort this out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,440 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Show him who's boss is the only way,he'll be much more relaxed and friendly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Frowzy

Pee in every corner of the garden to mark your territory!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 77 ✭✭micheleabc

Orim the dog is as wary of you as you are of it. It's great that you want to be friend and that shouldn't be a big problem. When you meet the dog outside try not to stand upright (sit somewhere or knee on the ground) and avoid eyes contact. It is not a matter or being territorial or dominant, it's only that the dog doesn't know you and is afraid. Using treats is a great idea. When you go out you can trow around some bits of ham or chicken, not too close to you and don't try to hand feed just yet. The dog will quickly learn that when you are out good things happens. Don't try to reach for a physical contact unless the dog will come close and start to sniff you. Just remember that what is a normal way for humans to approach other humans (walking forward, eyes contact, verbal contact, hands forward) is instead seen as an intimidation by dogs . With a bit a patience in only a couple of days the dog will be well used to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Cheers for the advice guys. I'll give some things a go and see how we get on. Of course I probably won't see him for weeks now but c'est la vie.

Advertisement