Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bob Dylan or Neil Young?

Options
  • 08-07-2012 9:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭

Who do you prefer? I'm not hugely familiar with either of them but I do think Young is a better singer and I prefer his songs. What say you?

Who do you prefer? 93 votes

Bob Dylan
    0%
    Neil Young
    39%
    shinobiBlistermanmystic86Amazotheamazing[Deleted User]SinfoniaBodhidharmaadrian522PaparazzoVarkovShaneUhenryporterHank ScorpioCicerojaykay74eyebrows63OrmusScrambled egghorslips3hn2givr7mx1sc 37 votes
    I like/dislike them both equally.
    60%
    cashbackNailzParsley4zn76tysfajdxpquickbeamJerryHandbagTelePaulwandatowellomerinzac8jonniebgood1Decuc500MayoForSam[Deleted User]flyswatter1966delbertgradymikompoundhoundiomega 56 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Neil Young for me, I wouldn't class myself as a massive fan but I would go to see Young but probably not Dylan, even though I like a few of his songs. I am planning on see Neil Young next time he comes to Ireland. The album which was spawned from unplugged gave me an excellent introduction and is one of my favourite live albums ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Neil Young by a distance for me. Huge fan of his work, whether its delicate acoustic stuff or stomping around on stage with his amps melting. Hell I even like some of his "dodgy" 80s work (Trans).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,888 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I'd have to say Neil Young since he's my favourite artist. Although, I do love Bob's music too and I think he's a better lyricist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Neil Young by a country mile, love his real country stuff too with American Stars 'n' Bars (one of my favourite albums).

Still trying to get into Dylan, I've heard Highway 69 Revisited but I would not rate it higher than the NY album.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Neil Young

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Which do you prefer, apples or Ford Fiestas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Neil Young
    Bob Dylan for me!

Neil Young
    karaokeman wrote: »

Still trying to get into Dylan, I've heard Highway 69 Revisited but I would not rate it higher than the NY album.

Try..

Blood On The Tracks
    Oh Mercy
    Time Out Of Mind
    John Wesley Harding
    The Freewheelin'

Just get everything!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Neil Young
    Bob Dylan - he is a poet wrapped in an enigma wrapped in a wrap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭I Need The Sun

Is there a valid reason for such polls. Seems pointless to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Neil Young
    karaokeman wrote: »
    Highway 69 Revisited

Freudylan slip..?

I'll get me coat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Neil Young
    I know it's all a matter of opinion and all that but seriously...

NY is a solid performer who has come up with some good material over the years.

BD is a genius who has made several of the greatest albums of all time.

I'd like to think that NY would acknowledge that he is not in the same league as Bob.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Neil Young
    Temaz wrote: »
    Try..

Blood On The Tracks
    Oh Mercy
    Time Out Of Mind
    John Wesley Harding
    The Freewheelin'

Just get everything!!

Try Desire, Bringing it all Back Home and Blonde on Blonde before Oh Mercy, Time out of Mind and JWH :rolleyes:

Neil Young
    For live albums, go for 'Live 1966' and 'Live 1975' That Rolling Thunder tour is musical perfection.

'Hard Rain' is also a good one to have, Idiot Wind from that album is mesmeric.

www.expectingrain.com is an essential forum for Dylan fans. The sheer scope of bootlegs and discussion will keep you going for a long time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Neil Young.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Is there a valid reason for such polls. Seems pointless to me.

What's your definition of a "valid" reason?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭I Need The Sun

What's your definition of a "valid" reason?

Whats the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Johnny Johnson

I love them both.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

rcaz wrote: »
    Which do you prefer, apples or Ford Fiestas?

Apples, there's always been something about Fords I do not like.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Prefer in what way?

Who I'd prefer to have sex with? Neither.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Spiritinthesky

Neil Young any day, Dylan is a God, but Neil is master of the universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Dylan is one of the best songwriters of all time no doubt about it but for me he doesn't come close to Neil Young. Young has everything and is one of the best guitarists around whether it's acoustic or his trademark solos, I know Young has put out a fair bit of rubbish especially in the 80's when he released the electonic album and then the rockabilly album to piss off David Geffen but his best stands upto the best.

Young is one of them artists that no matter how many times you've listened to him, you will always discover something new each time you go back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Neil Young
    Dylan for me, and tbh, it's not all that close, though i do think Young has many great songs. For comparisons sake, Young is great at setting a scene and telling you a story, Dylan makes you feel like you've lived it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Neil Young any day, musically and live performances.
    I've seen them both live and I would not waste 2 more hours of my life watching Dylan even if for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

The Nal wrote: »
    Prefer in what way?

Who I'd prefer to have sex with? Neither.

Musically. Songs and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,811 ✭✭✭✭briany

Neil Young all the way. Great songwriter, great musician, has reinvented himself many times and has many different hats that he can wear so to speak but it doesn't seem forced. His music speaks to me in a way Dylan's never really has even though I enjoy some Dylan and gratefully acknowledge him and his place in the history of popular music.

I don't know why people are having a go at Young's 80s stuff. Trans is a brilliant album.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,888 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

briany wrote: »
    I don't know why people are having a go at Young's 80s stuff. Trans is a brilliant album.

I wouldn't say it's a brilliant album but Trans is underrated. I like most of his 80's stuff too.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭horslips

Neil Young
    Dylan of course.

For those who think Young, I have only three words - Landing on Water. And don't come back with Self Potrait - even that has some worthy efforts.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

No contest, Neil Young all the way. He's one of my favourite artists of all time anyway, whereas Dylan never really did anything for me, I have tried, but I just don't like him baring a couple of songs, and absolutely hated the concerts I've been to.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

music by neil young, lyrics by dylan.

Advertisement