Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPad 2 safari linking to dodgy sites?

• 08-07-2012 9:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

Anyone else this problem?

Over the last week or so on daily mail site and ok site on safari I'll click on a story but a link to MOB ViDS (some rubbish like that) comes up with a pic of bikini girls. I don't think it's anything to do with daily mail/ok so I'm thinking a virus?

Says it costs 2.5 a week to subscribe with mob number (I'm on wifi only iPad) it has a registered po box Dublin number. Has happened about five times now, linking to same site.

I thought safari blocked this type of thing? iPad is not jail broken.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

I've noticed same thing, am deleting my browsing history and cookies every day and that seems to stop it. I noticed it on links from twitter as well. Like you thought we were immune to that on the iPad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭ArklowHoop

Happening me on my iPhone, really annoying!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It's definitely not a virus. All executable code in iOS goes through Apple via the App Store.

Does this only happen on Wifi? It might be a DNS problem originating from your router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

My iPad is wifi only. Is there a way of fixing this SP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Glad it's not just me then, I'm WiFi only and am with Emobile, have their hotshot device thing.

I keep trying to see if I'm mistakenly doing anything different but I'm not. Just click on a story and it comes up. I'm presuming I can't be charged as I never click further. Hopefully I dont click it by mistake. My WiFi account is a mob numb
    er too, hopefully I won't get any nasty surprises in my bill. It does habe a text STOP to opt out number but you'd have to be signed up first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Glad it's not just me then, I'm WiFi only and am with Emobile, have their hotshot device thing.

I keep trying to see if I'm mistakenly doing anything different but I'm not. Just click on a story and it comes up. I'm presuming I can't be charged as I never click further. Hopefully I dont click it by mistake. My WiFi account is a mob numb
    er too, hopefully I won't get any nasty surprises in my bill. It does habe a text STOP to opt out number but you'd have to be signed up first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Sounds like DNS issues. Something is rerouting traffic. Check your modem settings and switch the DNS to openDNS or Google's DNS servers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭Somecrimesitry

You are all probably been hit by the malware known as DNSchanger. The FBI are shutting down the servers involved today so your net access could be effected. The malware gets onto a computer and changes DNS settings but it can also change the DNS on your router. Anything connecting to that router can now be redirected.

To fix it you have to remove the malware from the computers on your network and also reset your DNS as well. There is a link to an FBI test site at the bottom of the Slashgear article below to see if your DNS is one of the dodgy ones.

http://www.slashgear.com/psa-evict-dnschanger-now-or-lose-the-web-monday-08237580/

Here's the llink to the FBI's DNS check:

http://www.dns-ok.us/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I am finding that when I click a link, it loads an ad banner instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Tazium

Browsing in Private mode, so I've never seen this issue.

Settings > Safari > Privacy ... Turn Private Browsing to On. Accept Cookies 'From Visited'. While there clear the history, cookies and data too.

Bonus... the interface becomes black. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement