Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chocolate mousse

Options
  • 08-07-2012 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭

Hi this is my 1st time posting here. I hope its the right place. Anyway. I made chocolate mousse. it was a recipe with chocolate squares melted 4 egg whites 2table spoons sugar, milk and one egg yoke. I did exactly what the recipe said and it never set. Just wondering does anyone have an idea what I could have done wrong? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

What chocolate did you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

phormium wrote: »
    What chocolate did you use?
    Tesco chocolate. just normal milk chocolate. instructions were to melt it then slowly add milk then turn in the egg yoke

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

Milk chocolate has less cocoa solids than darker chocolate and does not set as firmly which you need for your mousse, try a much higher level of cocoa solids and you will get a better result. Lots of people don't like dark chocolate but you need it in cooking for the full flavour, the added sugar sweetens it anyway, if you think it is still not sweet enough for your taste add some more sugar. I would use at least 50% cocoa solids chocolate, Tesco do a very good own brand 74% one but it might be too dark, you could mix it with quarter milk choc to lighten it. This one will set much better, you would even notice how much harder it is to break up as a bar than milk chocolate.

There are recipes with gelatine too but why complicate things if you can get it to set with the recipe you have.

Actually just re-reading your recipe, was there much milk? This might have made the mix too thin. I have a good recipe if this one fails again.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

phormium wrote: »
    Milk chocolate has less cocoa solids than darker chocolate and does not set as firmly which you need for your mousse, try a much higher level of cocoa solids and you will get a better result. Lots of people don't like dark chocolate but you need it in cooking for the full flavour, the added sugar sweetens it anyway, if you think it is still not sweet enough for your taste add some more sugar. I would use at least 50% cocoa solids chocolate, Tesco do a very good own brand 74% one but it might be too dark, you could mix it with quarter milk choc to lighten it. This one will set much better, you would even notice how much harder it is to break up as a bar than milk chocolate.

There are recipes with gelatine too but why complicate things if you can get it to set with the recipe you have.

Actually just re-reading your recipe, was there much milk? This might have made the mix too thin. I have a good recipe if this one fails again.
    Thanks very much for your reply and advise. there was only 1 3rd cup of milk. I love high cocoa but i picked the lower one because chocolate drives my kids mad lol The higher the cocoa the worse they seem. I guess there's so many other ingredients involved it would take down the strength of the cocoas affect. thanks again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

dark chocolate works better alright it has more cocoa content

• Advertisement
Advertisement