Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving to Cork with L Plates?

Options
  • 08-07-2012 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I might be moving to Waterford in a few weeks and I was interested in visiting Cork. I am a Learner driver. Would I be able to drive to Cork with the L Plates?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

If course you will. As long as there's a licenced driver on with you.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

irish-stew wrote: »
    If course you will. As long as there's a licenced driver on with you.

;)

Thanks irish-stew. I was looking into a few activities in Cork that is not available in Waterford. I was wondering if there would be any problems if I happened to not have a licensed driver with me at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Chris.Buckley

Why not just move to Cork? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Thanks irish-stew. I was looking into a few activities in Cork that is not available in Waterford. I was wondering if there would be any problems if I happened to not have a licensed driver with me at the time.
    In all honesty, it would depend on the garda you encounter, i think when giving advice on an internet forum that i would tell you to assume the worst and that if a garda stops you would be liable to get fined, very few drivers have been disqualified for this offense.

Also i personally dont like the idea of unacompanied learners undertaking a drive of this length without someone next to him that has done it before , to at the very least warn you of potential black spots, to tell you the correct way to respond if theres any problems etc.

Why not just move to Cork? :)

Will be doing a training program in Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭stacexD

Drove this journey (as a learner) with a learner twice a week for over a year and never encountered any problems. Never passed a gard either.
    It's a good road but take it easy because there are a few bad spots.
    And of course, whether or not you want to take the risk is another story..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    ... I was wondering if there would be any problems if I happened to not have a licensed driver with me at the time.
    The main problem is the usual one, breaking the law. If that doesn't bother you sure fire ahead. It seems half the country is at it, see below for example.
    stacexD wrote: »
    Drove this journey (as a learner) with a learner twice a week for over a year and never encountered any problems. Never passed a gard either...
    And that's OK because breaking the law isn't important, not getting caught is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

OP if yer a young male with L plates then the gardai may take an interest in you if you don't have an accompanied driver.

However if you're a middle aged or old person with L plates who've been driving for years without either an accompanying driver or a full license then you'll be grand.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Please dont recommend anyone breaks any law here no matter what your personal experience is. Doing so will result in infractions and bans.

mathepac wrote: »
    The main problem is the usual one, breaking the law. If that doesn't bother you sure fire ahead. It seems half the country is at it, see below for example.
    And that's OK because breaking the law isn't important, not getting caught is.

I know what you mean. I obey the laws as much as possible. I do intend to apply for my driving test once i get to Waterford [apparently it has a higher pass rate than Kilkenny]

I might contact the org in Cork that I was thinking of visiting and see if we can come to some arrangement so I can get their on the bus [the current times I would not be able to get back to Waterford once its done.]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Get one of those blow up dolls, dress it up as an ould fella, stick in the passenger seat and you'll be grand.

Advertisement