Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resgistering for 2nd Year Arts, 2012/2013

Options
  • 08-07-2012 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering does anyone know what's the procedure from herein? What are you doing?

I don't know what I'm going to do yet.

I'm currently considering doing a Joint Major of English and History, but would also like to take Film studies further. Only thing is that it's in the same group as History, so I'd be forced to choose between the two I presume, which I don't really want to do. I'm interested in Film Studies though, and from a career prosppect am hopeful I could carve something out of it. Does anyone know if you can decide to do a joint Major in a subject you only had one elective in last year? Is it down to availability? I only did one module in it, getting a C in it, but if I could, I'd like to do it as part of degree. maybe joint with English... or could I do a minor in English, History and Film, or is this not possible because History and film are in the same group? How does it work?

Don't really know what to do atm! If anyone could advise me that would be great!

I don't know if dates for registration for selecting which subjects you wish to bring to degree level are specific for each subject or not, but let's say for English, it's from July 23rd- July 27th, so if you want to register for cores for that subject you have to do it within those dates .It might be for all subjects though, can someone clarify for me in this regard? I'm not so sure.

To register for your start time thereafter for your modules, list is here http://www.ucd.ie/students/stimes/start_time_dates.html

For Stage 2, Year 2 Arts students, registering for a start time is listed from 1 August at 10 A.M, and the beginning of your online registration is the 21 August. Once you register for a start time, you will e-mailed with a confirmation to your UCD e-mail.
    Hope that helps.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

23rd July is the date I have for the joint/major/minor selection. Far as I remember (from Joe Brady giving the talk) you just pick what you want and you'll be signed up for the core.
    1 August you go on and pick your reg time.

If you want to progress in a subject you have to have at least 2 modules completed, though some may be specific. Film studies can't be taken in stage 2 if you entered in DN500 (Joint Honours program). It can only be taken as part of English with Film (DN513). You may be able to use your electives to do the class but it wouldn't be part of the degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Maldesu wrote: »
    23rd July is the date I have for the joint/major/minor selection. Far as I remember (from Joe Brady giving the talk) you just pick what you want and you'll be signed up for the core.
    1 August you go on and pick your reg time.

If you want to progress in a subject you have to have at least 2 modules completed, though some may be specific. Film studies can't be taken in stage 2 if you entered in DN500 (Joint Honours program). It can only be taken as part of English with Film (DN513). You may be able to use your electives to do the class but it wouldn't be part of the degree.

Hey Maldesu thanks for that? 23rd? I presume it's same for all subjects then.

Thanks for that, I thought as much, bit annoying though, wish it was more flexible, maybe would it be worth e-mailing admissions or Film studies department in this regard? Otherwise I could just pick two film electives I guess.. thanks!

23rd is in the phone calendar so that's when I'm making the choice. Probably is open for the week and then will lock again.
    You could try email them but it could be that you'd have to see if they would let you move into the English with Film degree. Worth a try at least. Won't know if you don't ask.

23rd is in the phone calendar so that's when I'm making the choice. Probably is open for the week and then will lock again.
    You could try email them but it could be that you'd have to see if they would let you move into the English with Film degree. Worth a try at least. Won't know if you don't ask.

Yeah cool. Yeah I figure I might have to ask them about that,have to figure what will suitme best. Anyway, cheers for advice, good to see someone went to that Joe Brady talk! Good luck with registering and for the start of the new year :)

Had Joe in 1st year so I went for the entertainment mainly. No doubt will be suffering in Critical Theory with you next year.:P

• Advertisement

Had Joe in 1st year so I went for the entertainment mainly. No doubt will be suffering in Critical Theory with you next year.:P

Haha I never met him myself, missed the first year ceremony as well, never got that first year scarf, damn! Yes Critical theory, oh dear! I'm just glad that we don't have to deal with that Chaucer basterd again, hated those damn projects!:mad: Hopefully Critical Theory will be a bit more bearable.

Missed the ceremony too.

Hope your sitting down, cos we got more Chaucer coming. Reading Medieval Lit - core module. Tis an utter balls.

Missed the ceremony too.

Hope your sitting down, cos we got more Chaucer coming. Reading Medieval Lit - core module. Tis an utter balls.

Oh dear god, you just had to come along and ruin my day, I would have been better off in ignorance:(:(

I just refuse to suffer alone. :D

I just refuse to suffer alone. :D

Pure evil, just liek Chaucer. I need a few shots to numb the bleak reality of another semester with him, I mean the guy is ancient!

• Advertisement

I recommend copious amounts of whiskey

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Missed the ceremony too.

Chaucer's great. :confused:

Well... not Parliament of Fowls... but his other stuff is grand - particular CT; short, complicated, and with a plethora of sources for any essay.

And Fletcher is epic. :D

I'll send for you when I need note then? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

I'll send for you when I need note then? :D

Go ahead - I've yet to receive less than an A for a Chaucer essay/ project.

(7 in a row?)

I do charge, mind. :D

Go ahead - I've yet to receive less than an A for a Chaucer essay/ project.
    :eek:
    I do charge, mind. :D

Figures. Nothing is free anymore. :p

Just to give this a little bump!

Major/Minor choices opened today and closes at 5pm Friday 27th. Decision time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

How many modules are there per semester? The credits needed are 120 compared to 60 last year. Doesn't that mean twice as many hours? :O

The 120 Credits are for the next two years. You only do 60 credits for this year.
    Usually each module is 5 credits with the occasional 10 credit module. For the most part, you would have 6 modules in Sem 1 and 6 in Sem 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Thank god for that. :D

Advertisement