Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fatal bike crash in Darndale tonight.

• 08-07-2012 10:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

My missus and myself just drove past the scene of an awfull and very tragic motorbike crash in Darndale tonight.

2 young lads flying around on a scrambler bike with no helmets or protection on them,according to garda that we spoke to.

According to the gardai,they smashed into a car and the bike was embedded into the front of the hatchback car.We were diverted down a slip road at the side of the main road where the crash happened.A rather shocking sight for both of us to see as we drove by.

One of the lads is dead and the other lad is critical.

Please be very carefull on the roads out there.

RIP and thoughts and prayers with the families of all involved.

PS-Even if you are only going down the road to the shops on your bike,please please wear the correct full gear.

It just could save your life.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

dreadful to hear the amount of crashes in ireland this month,very tragic,i heard two people lost their lives in a motorbike accident not too long ago,hopefully this will be the warning people need to slow down and take it easy.
    I heard just today some people in cork were in a serious car crash didnt hear any more on it since..RIP

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

dreadful to hear the amount of crashes in ireland this month,very tragic,i heard two people lost their lives in a motorbike accident not too long ago,hopefully this will be the warning people need to slow down and take it easy.
    I heard just today some people in cork were in a serious car crash didnt hear any more on it since..RIP

The cork crash was actually in the UK.

A cork couple who were holidaying in Torquay in the UK,were involved in a head on smash over there.

A 20 year old polish national drove his car at speed into their car and smashed head on into them.

The couples 2 year old son died on impact,and the wife also lost her unborn baby too.

Both the husband and wife are critical in hospital.

The 20 year old polish national was arrested at the scene by the UK police,but he later died in hospital.

Its rummored that it was a suicide/death wish job by the 20 year old polish national.

He took 2 other people with him though (2 year old child and an unborn baby).:eek::mad:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0708/irish-couple-england-road-crash.html

http://news.sky.com/story/957562/major-crime-probe-into-torquay-fatal-crash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭thenightrider

paddy147 wrote: »
    2 young lads flying around on a scrambler bike with no helmets or protection on them,according to garda that we spoke to.

That's no surprise none of the young lads down there ever do it's very rear to see them with a lid on.

I fell sorry for there family's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Ill never understand why they seem to think its cool to go around without a helmet on when actually its the complete opposite and all other motorcyclists look upon them as fools.

Im prone to not wearing boots and armored trousers from time to time but for me a Helmet, jacket and gloves are a minimum.

After i did an oil change a few weeks back i took a slow speed spin around the estate without any gear on. I felt insanely exposed. I couldnt imagine doing speed without gear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Sorry for the familys, but the lads know the risk riding without even the basic gear.
    Another statistic to bash the vast majority of law abiding bikers with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

I feel sorry for the poor woman who they ran into poor woman is probabaly still in shock, little scrotes going around thinking they are invincible

BTW i do feel sorry for the family involved just not the 2 idiots on the bike, and before anyone asks I do live close to the location and know what i talking about. If they wanted to ride a scramber then do it in a park or designated area WITH protective gear.

Theres a makeshift memorial at side of the road where the crash happened.

A plastic roadworks barrier has been turned into a barrier full of flowers and floral boqets.

I felt very strange this evening,sitting in the passenger seat looking at the barrier,as my missus was driving by in the car.

Shiver down my spine type of feeling........if you get me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭amacca

I feel sorry for all involved, including the victims

I was young an reckless/stupid not that long ago (maybe not that reckless but I consider myself lucky to get to an age with a bit more sense involved)

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

Jesus, I wonder how different the situation would have been had they been wearing the right gear. Twenty is no age to die to look cool or impress your mates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

I'm afraid that I find it hard to muster sympathy in cases like this, as I can't help but suspect that had someone else been the victim of their stupidity, e.g. a small child, they would have been gone like the wind and left the person to die.
    While these were not joyriders, such behaviour is probably even more the case in cases of joyriders who've stolen the vehicle, but all-the-same you get the family and friends erecting memorials at the site and making out that they were saints and ignoring that they died in the process of a crime that was putting other lives at risk.

If a person whizzes around at speed with no thought for protecting themselves, i.e. their own safety, are we really to believe they've given any thought to the safety of others?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭SaoriseBiker

Reku wrote: »
    I'm afraid that I find it hard to muster sympathy in cases like this, as I can't help but suspect that had someone else been the victim of their stupidity, e.g. a small child, they would have been gone like the wind and left the person to die.
    Probably more true in cases of joyriders who've stolen the vehicle, but all-the-same you get the family and friends erecting memorials at the site and making out that they were saints and ignoring that they died in the process of a crime that was putting other lives at risk.

If a person whizzes around at speed with no thought for protecting themselves, i.e. their own safety, are we really to believe they've given any thought to the safety of others?
    My very own thoughts.

Can I just say for the record here.....no one mentioned or has said that the motorbike involved was stolen.So lets not go down that road please.

Also,any family or friend has the right to place a bunch of flowers and a card at the sight of a loved ones death,regardless of what people may think.

Everyone has a right to grieve for a loved one...regardless of whether the person was a sinner or a saint.

Please have a little thought about that just for a minute here,before making any more rash posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Glad the lady driver in the car is ok anyway.

20 and 28 - high moral ground alert - you'd think they'd have more sense than go on a Motorcycle without the proper gear.

It's a tragedy no matter what I guess, and RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Can I just say for the record here.....no one mentioned or has said that the motorbike involved was stolen.So lets not go down that road please.
    Nor did I, I was saying I believe that joyriders would be even more likely to leave a victim to fate, but I still believe that those who drive around at high speed, regardless of the local limits, and ignoring other laws (e.g. the requirement of a helmet) are also much more likely, than those drivers/riders who chose to obey the laws, to behave in such a callous, self-centered way.
    Also,any family or friend has the right to place a bunch of flowers and a card at the sight of a loved ones death,regarless of what people may think.

Everyone has a right to grieve for a loved one...regardless of whether the person was a sinner or a saint.
    Just as we also have the right to speak the truth about what the person(s) were, whitewashing should be no more tolerated than slander. The memorials aren't so much the problem as the lies that people leave at them via cards, wreaths, etc....
    If people would at least be honest it might in some way deter others from repeating the action (unlikely, but we can always hope), the all-is-forgiven stance isn't exactly much of a cautionary tale, and one must assume by their choices regarding their personal safety that death is not enough of a deterrent.

Reku wrote: »
    Nor did I, I was saying I believe that joyriders would be even more likely to leave a victim to fate, but I still believe that those who drive around at high speed, regardless of the local limits, and ignoring other laws (e.g. the requirement of a helmet) are also much more likely, than those drivers/riders who chose to obey the laws, to behave in such a callous, self-centered way.

Just as we also have the right to speak the truth about what the person(s) were, whitewashing should be no more tolerated than slander. The memorials aren't so much the problem as the lies that people leave at them via cards, wreaths, etc....
    If people would at least be honest it might in some way deter others from repeating the action (unlikely, but we can always hope), the all-is-forgiven stance isn't exactly much of a cautionary tale, and one must assume by their choices regarding their personal safety that death is not enough of a deterrent.

Joyriders and joyriding has nothing to do with this thread or tragic accident.

Who is whitewashing or slandering here????:confused:...(have a re-read of your 2 lovely posts here so far,you seem to like posting alot of unfounded comments and assumptions).

You seem to have a serious problem with my post where I mentioned a makeshift memorial to the dead lad.
    That lad was is/was a human being too,you know.

And his family,friends and other people have a right to place flowers,cards and candles at the accident scene.Now you are having a go at these people for placing cards,messages,wreaths and candles.
    Dont start taking this off on some crazy alternative agenda that you seem to be trying to provoke here.

The lad sadly died.Its a tragic accident,that shouldnt have happened,but sadly it did.
    Just leave it at that now,please.

RIP...thoughts and prayers with all involved and with the families of all involved too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

I'm just glad the woman was ok............

A guy i know said to me "I see one of your lot was killed the other day".that really pi$$es me off..........:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Sids Not wrote: »

A guy i know said to me "I see one of your lot was killed the other day".that really pi$$es me off..........:mad:

After getting that as well. Anytime there is an accident involving a motorbike, regardless of who is to blame, I get that line from anyone in my family and friends who doesn't drive a bike.

RIP to the young lad and hopefully the other guy will pull through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭amacca

what a total twat........as if were all some sort of homogenous gang

it would be tactless and asinine etc but it would be tempting to give him the same back next time there is a car accident or a human man dies somewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

You get that. I get people telling me about how a bike cut them off/was speeding/did something crazy as if I should somehow give a shít and apologise on behalf of bikers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,066 ✭✭✭✭neris

I drive through darndale most days and there always some idiot on a bike flying up and down on the grass verges either side of the road. Just surprised there havent been a few more serious accidents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I see the same around Clondalkin/Neilstown. People flying around on scramblers on a football pitch without helmets, 200m from the local police station.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭thomashood10

There's tons of lads in Dublin that fly around on scramblers, they're cheap, fast, and a good way to get away from Garda quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

There's tons of lads in Dublin that fly around on scramblers, they're cheap, fast, and a good way to get away from Garda quickly.

And usually loved, and missed by their rightful owners :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

The cork crash was actually in the UK.

A cork couple who were holidaying in Torquay in the UK,were involved in a head on smash over there.

A 20 year old polish national drove his car at speed into their car and smashed head on into them.

The couples 2 year old son died on impact,and the wife also lost her unborn baby too.

Both the husband and wife are critical in hospital.

The 20 year old polish national was arrested at the scene by the UK police,but he later died in hospital.

Its rummored that it was a suicide/death wish job by the 20 year old polish national.

He took 2 other people with him though (2 year old child and an unborn baby).:eek::mad:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0708/irish-couple-england-road-crash.html

http://news.sky.com/story/957562/major-crime-probe-into-torquay-fatal-crash

The Father (Driver of Irish car) died today.. :(
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22418970

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I see the same around Clondalkin/Neilstown. People flying around on scramblers on a football pitch without helmets, 200m from the local police station.

Like with burglaries, that sort of work is too bothersome or lacking in glamour for Guards, I've noticed.

Even though they were foolish not to wear helmets, it'd a tragedy for the family. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinkildare

Like with burglaries, that sort of work is too bothersome or lacking in glamour for Guards, I've noticed.

How do you propose they catch them? They are not allowed to chase them as they are held responsible if the youngs lads crash and die. When they do catch them and take the bikes, they get stones and bottles thrown at them by the locals and asked if they have nothing better to do...

Eoin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

How do you propose they catch them? They are not allowed to chase them as they are held responsible if the youngs lads crash and die. When they do catch them and take the bikes, they get stones and bottles thrown at them by the locals and asked if they have nothing better to do...

Eoin

Perhaps the Minister could sign an order so that a Guard is not responsible for the lives of fools who die from their own stupidity. Perhaps an order won't do, maybe the law needs changing. That won't happen. I think a common outlook of judges, guards and DPP is to regard the criminal as their client and victim of society. Repeat offenders mean more guards and solicitors are employed, well at least pre and post austerity.

Anyhow, I've found that Guards take the path of least resistance wherever possible, ie do nothing. Apparently, reports of attempted thefts that a person stops aren't taken, if not reported immediately. The lesson there is to be the judge sometimes, make sure the scummer remembers that crime is dangerous or something.

Advertisement