Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPGS on 360?

Options
  • 08-07-2012 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

First off, "JRPGS...on 360? The PS3 forums are that a way my good man!"
    I know, I know. But my PS3 went kaput long ago, and the one game I wanted to play I did (Valkyria Chronicles) So that's that.

So, for whatever reason, when I was really young. I did nothing but play JRPGS. FFVII, FVIII, Skies of Arcadia , Grandia, Vagrant Story, Xenogears etc etc. But when I turned about 12 or so Halo and Half life 2 (among other games) happened. I've played about 2 since. Guess I got impatient after discovering FPS's and the like. I was gonna start back again with FFXIII... but I think you know why that didn't work out... :p

So I've been trying to put this shopping list of JRPGS together so far I've got:

-Lost Odyssey
    -Blue Dragon
    -Tales of Vesparia (I adored the one on Gamecube, but I'm not sure if they've changed much)
    - Eternal Sonata

and I'm just wondering what else you guys think is worth a punt? To veer slightly off topic...I also own a Wii and if you guys have anything to say about The Last Story or Xenoblade that would be cool too :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jimbob_jones

Hey Alactric,

I am playing Resonance of Fate at the moment and it is a good JRPG with a good sense of humour and a pretty good battle system imho.

Worth a punt if you can get it cheap enough.

I have Lost Odyssey as well but I have haven't finished it and if I remember right I had my a$$ handed to me at the beginning of Disc 2 and I never went back to it, I'm sorry to say.

Just my two cents anyways, good luck

Cheers,
    J.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

The four you named are the best, the rest are aren't that great really, few I can name are Nier, Infinite Undiscovery, Enchanted Arms, Star Ocean: The Last Hope and Last Remnant

Not a JRPG but Witcher 2 is a great RPG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Thumbs up for Lost Odyssey , was a game I got and played for an hour and hated it ....... went back to it a year later and didn't put it down for over 3 weeks :D

Blue Dragon is by the same team but quite frankly it sucked form what I recall of it.

Also have a look on xbox live for arcade titles , I don't know of any but I wasn't looking for them either. Oner I did get that isnt really jrpg but worth a mention is Bastion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Lost Odyssey is the best game there, I dare ya not to tear up at some of the "1000 years of dreams" stories.

Was tempted to try find Tales of Vesperia myself, best bets is the €29.99 version on the Games on Demand on XBLA as its like gold-dust in stores. And if you want more convincing, one of your characters is a dog that smokes a pipe.....

Resonance of Fate is good, does have a great combat system (once you figure out WTF is going on) and amazing customisation but the plot is pretty much all over the place, nothing for a whole chapter the a random cutscene you have very little idea of whats happening in or who the people are.

As for the Wii games, I have The Last Story (but no Wii so not played it yet) but have heard great things about Xenoblade, very reminiscent of the JRPG's of old.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's not really a JRPG but it is amazing, get yourself Dark Souls asap! You could also get Costume Quest and it's DLC from XBLA. Not japanese but still great and plays like one.

As for RPG's on the Wii I heard good things about Last Story as well. As for Xenoblade, you need this game. Other than Dark Souls it's the best JRPG of this console generation. There's a few other good JRPGs on Wii, I'd recommend Tales of Symphonia Dawn of a New World and Opoona.

I'll also give another shout to Nier. It's a fun game but the soundtrack and story are real stand outs. Also make sure you complete the new game plus at least once because it's what makes the story so good, it changes everything!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Alactric

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's not really a JRPG but it is amazing, get yourself Dark Souls asap!

I'll also give another shout to Nier. It's a fun game but the soundtrack and story are real stand outs. Also make sure you complete the new game plus at least once because it's what makes the story so good, it changes everything!

I sunk 200 hours into DS and I still PVP from time to time, and help folks with bosses. Can't wait for it to come out on PC to do it all over again. I completely forgot about realtime JRPGS in my OP though. Phantasy Star Universe and Dark Souls are some of the only ones I've come across this gen. Nier is real time in that Kingdom Hearts sort of way isn't it? Any other good realtime ones?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah it's more hack and slash with light RPG elements. Can't really think of anything like it off the top of my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

Lost Odyssey is by far the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭hypersquirrel

Like everyone else is saying Lost Odyssey is brilliant. Make sure you check test the discs when you get it though because they tend to be a bit problematic. Had to try three different Disc 4s before I got one that worked.

If you can get a copy of Tales of Vesperia I would highly recommend it.

I'm going to be contrary and say Lost Odyssey isn't that great. It's worth playing for the excellently written short stories along the way but the main story is dreadful. Also the combat is really boring until you get to near the end of the 2nd disc when it gets a lot more enjoyable. I did enjoy it in the end but it has lots of problems and takes ages to get going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭mr.noobie

Eternal Sonata is a brilliant game and im actually playing Tales of Vesperia atm, all the games you mention in your post are good, I couldn't get into Blue Dragon though no matter how much I tried it just annoyed me.

Two games I haven't seen mentioned here are Enchanted Arms and Magna Carta 2, ive never played Magna Carta but I played Enchanted Arms many years ago and enjoyed it.

There's also FF13 and part 2, the 360 really needs more JRPGS sadly I don't see that ever happening

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Alactric

mr.noobie wrote: »

There's also FF13 and part 2, the 360 really needs more JRPGS sadly I don't see that ever happening

13 was one of the last games I played on my PS3. Ran away screaming from the the thing. I gave the thing a solid 25 hours to impress me, and I got
    absolutely nothing in return. The setting, the characters, the combat, the story, the voice acting...I just sat there and said to myself: "Well, it looks pretty"
    I swear, it took them 5 years to develop a tech demo.

I know some people swear by 13-2, not sure how legit they are though, can't help but feel people just try and convince themselves it fixes everything that's wrong with 13. Granted I only played the demo...

Advertisement