Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would an LLM be advantageous in looking for a training contract?

• 08-07-2012 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I'm a law graduate and I passed the FE-1s a few years ago. Unfortunately, I haven't managed to secure a training contract.

I've been offered a place on an LLM degree course and I'm just wondering whether this qualification would make a big difference in securing a training contract?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭seb65

Wolfey wrote: »
    I'm a law graduate and I passed the FE-1s a few years ago. Unfortunately, I haven't managed to secure a training contract.

I've been offered a place on an LLM degree course and I'm just wondering whether this qualification would make a big difference in securing a training contract?

Depends on where from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

I dont think an LL M would be worth the cost and time

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Wolfey

seb65 wrote: »
    Depends on where from.

Trinity College.

nuac wrote: »
    I dont think an LL M would be worth the cost and time

I've tried everything else at this stage, so this is basically my last shot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

If you were applying to the Top tier firms, I would imagine a commercial law or business masters would be a big advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

Wolfey wrote: »
    I've tried everything else at this stage, so this is basically my last shot!

What do you mean? Nobody can answer the question in the OP without knowing how close you are to a training contract without a masters.

The first thing is if you really want to work for a particular firm then ask them what you're missing.

Aside from that if you have zero work experience then working for free as an intern is very helpful. If you have zero charity work then do a cycle an raise money. If you have a 2.2 then obviously going into the commercial masters in UCD and coming in the top 5 in your class would put you in with a shot. If you have never done erasmus or worked or studied abroad then look at an LLM abroad as opposed to at home.

It's too general a question to answer definitively. I would say though that the LLM in Trinity is a general LLM. That's something you should seriously take into consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭seb65

NoQuarter wrote: »
    If you were applying to the Top tier firms, I would imagine a commercial law or business masters would be a big advantage.

I've heard that if firms value an LLM, they do not really care what it's in. Further, a Business Masters (MBA) is very expensive and not necessary to work in law....or in business for that matter.

You should do your LLM in what you're interested in.

Personally, the in-class hours for an LLM are so low, if you did do it, you could probably intern/volunteer to get experience, or work part-time (in some law-related area) as well. There's been a lot of talk, especially in America, of the "education bubble". That is, this younger generation is continually seeking more education and taking on more debt for that education, thinking it will get them ahead.

Do the LLM, get excellent grades, but also get experience in the "real world" interning or volunteering. At the very least, you'll make some contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Lawstud

I wouldn't bother doing a Masters unless you really want to. Although one advantage of a masters is that it opens up the possibility of getting into lecturing etc if you were that way inclined. Nice earner on the side if you manage to get in to it.

At your stage and with a view to separating yourself from others and indeed for the furtherance of your career prospects in general I would advise doing a qualification in Alternative Dispute Resolution i.e. Arbitration and mediation. It's the future.

Alternatively, do something business oreintated ie an accounting diploma or something tax related

One thing I would strongly emphasizes is not to do any more purely legal study. You have your degree and your Fe 1 that's enough law. Broaden your horizons.

Good luck.

Lawstud wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother doing a Masters unless you really want to. Although one advantage of a masters is that it opens up the possibility of getting into lecturing etc if you were that way inclined. Nice earner on the side if you manage to get in to it.

At your stage and with a view to separating yourself from others and indeed for the furtherance of your career prospects in general I would advise doing a qualification in Alternative Dispute Resolution i.e. Arbitration and mediation. It's the future.

Alternatively, do something business oreintated ie an accounting diploma or something tax related

One thing I would strongly emphasizes is not to do any more purely legal study. You have your degree and your Fe 1 that's enough law. Broaden your horizons.

Good luck.

I studied ADR a few years ago.

I've very little interest in accounting/tax, so no point pursuing study in these areas.

Do you think that an LLM (with good grades) would be beneficial in applying for jobs outside of the legal profession?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭the_real_lamp

From my experience of the big firms as many of the trainees don't have LLMs as do, so there appears to be no explicit benefit. Having a LLM will not make it tougher to get a contract though.

Most firms will look at work experience as all applicants for firms will have degrees or LLMs.

Having done a LLM, my advice would be that you should do one in an area of law that you are interested and try a work for free a couple of mornings/days in a law firm (you will have the time, the workload is not that exhaustive), and that this would help you get a contract imho.

In interviews, being able to talk about experience is crucial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

I passed my FE-1s, applied all over the place, never even got an interview.

Then did an LLM and was taken on as a trainee by the first place I applied to afterwards.

My LLM was specifically in one of that firm's practice areas BTW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

Dandelion6 can I ask was it a commercial law firm? It appears from people I have been talking to the larger firms value LLMs highly.

Wolfey I am considering the same, although I'd have to do it by distance learning. I think at this stage I need further qualifications or experience or both!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Right 2B a liar

I have a BA did my FE1 got no TC so did a LLM in the meantime had three offers at the start of the year. In total the LLM cost €16,000 between fees and living away from home, was it worth it? IMO I think so I really enjoyed it plus made great contacts for the future and education is never a waste. If you can afford it do it, however if you had the option of doing meaningful work in a law firm I would choose that over doing a LLM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Sala wrote: »
    Dandelion6 can I ask was it a commercial law firm?

No.

Advertisement