Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Broadband

• 08-07-2012 11:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

im currently with eircom broadband but its very slow, im thinking of going over to a broadband package from UPC. Are UPC reliable and a good service?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

x100 better than Eircom!

Have had it 2 years now (after switching from Eircom) and never had any problems,if it's available in your area then it's a no brainer in my opinion.

Usually get above the speeds that I'm paying for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Eamonn K

x100 better than Eircom!

Have had it 2 years now (after switching from Eircom) and never had any problems,if it's available in your area then it's a no brainer in my opinion.

Usually get above the speeds that I'm paying for.

Thanks! I've been looking into switching over to UPC for a long time now just hope its available in my area *fingers crossed*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Where do you live?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Way better than Eircom & way faster.
    Very little downtime since I've been with them. One major outage last week for a few hours was the worst of it. Very stable & IP rarely changes which is a bonus.

In the main they're grand but they go down quite a bit for me. Sometimes for a few minutes, other times (rarely) for a few hours.

• Advertisement

Eircom = B&W portable
    UPC = 1080p HDTV

In otherwords, UPC miles better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

My experience

Eircom landline= snail ( paying for 8mbs got 2.67 max)
    UPC = F1 ( paying for 30mbs now on 67.5mbs

i live on the northside out dublin just outside town, im hearing alot of rumours that UPC aren't reliable? would really appreciate your thoughts on this

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I'm in Santry & its perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

No comparison, UPC are a different class altogether. With them 2 years mostly get faster speeds than we pay for and it has never gone down, at least not that we noticed. Eircom are pure 5hite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

Eamonn K wrote: »
    i live on the northside out dublin just outside town, im hearing alot of rumours that UPC aren't reliable? would really appreciate your thoughts on this
    If you can get UPC go for it, best isp out there
    I'd never go back to slow expensive eircom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Another vote for UPC here. There really is no comparison. Some good analogies already so I'll throw in another. Premier League vs. League of ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafa1977

For me UPC Broadband is the "Barcelona" of broadband!!. I can't fault it, think only ever had 1 issue in 7 years with them, their customer service and TV is a different story though :mad:

Well I just had another two minute outage now. Definitely something wrong in this part of the city.

which package do you guys have with upc?

I'm on 25 meg in Fairview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Got a letter last week from UPC saying prices were going up,by a fiver I think,bloody cheek I thought. Then I saw that they had increased my 30 mg to a 60 meg connection.2065677602.png

In fairness it's means little unless you download a lot,which I don't, but It did download a 56 meg file in about 2 seconds this morning. No complaints about the service, when I was on Eircom I generally had no service on weekends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

If you're comparing DSL to UPC's Cable broadband, there's just no comparison whatsoever. UPC is vastly superior.

The only product that compares with UPC cable is fibre-to-home and that's only rolled out on a very limited basis.

Karsini wrote: »
    I'm on 25 meg in Fairview.

is it an up to 25 meg or do you get 25 meg speed (or close to it) ? (:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Do all you guys be the phone as well from UPC? If so, how is that service? Is it realiable?

• Advertisement

I have no problems with the phone. Great service and great value.

is it an up to 25 meg or do you get 25 meg speed (or close to it) ? (:
    Most of the time I do - in fact I've often clocked slightly higher at 26.5Mbps. However at peak times I've often seen it drop as low as 3 or 4Mbps for a few hours!

I don't have the phone service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

3rdDegree wrote: »
    Do all you guys be the phone as well from UPC? If so, how is that service? Is it realiable?

Their phone service is absolutely excellent and as reliable as an eircom line in my experience of it anyway.

While it's VoIP based, remember that it's not internet VoIP. It's carried over a closed network back to their switches (exchanges). So, it's comparable to the technology in a corporate phone system or to an ISDN line in many respects i.e. digital, over a closed network, from your house back to their switch.

The only thing to remember is that the router needs to remain plugged in at all times as the phone service is provided from a port on the back of it.

It's a standard analogue phone service, delivered over the exact same RJ11 type socket as an eircom phone line. So, you can use it with any normal telephone. It works exactly the same as any normal phone line. There are no delays, weird codes or anything like that. Just dial and it rings as per usual.

You have all the usual services that eircom's exchanges provide:

Call Waiting, Caller ID, Call Forwarding, Voicemail.

and a few extras too:

Anonymous Caller Rejection (it will tell anyone blocking their number that you won't answer calls with blocked numbers).

Caller ID on call waiting. If call waiting goes off and you have a compatible phone (most cordless phones are compatible with this, including eircom branded ones) you will see their number displayed on the handset.

One minor point : It does not support pulse-dial phones. So, if you've some absolutely ancient phone or one with a rotary dial, you will not be able to use it (although you can buy a pulse to tone converter online). Some old phones from the 1980s have a switch somewhere that lets you switch between pulse and tone dialing too. So, if you look around you'll find something like LD / MF or Pulse / Tone on the bottom or hidden behind some little plastic cover.

Also, if you want to use your extension sockets, just physically disconnect the eircom line where it enters your house. It's very important that it's totally isolated from the wiring as it will remain connected to the exchange for years even after you've disconnected your eircom service.

Once that's done you can just plug a standard phone cord from your UPC box into any phone socket in your house and you'll get a dial tone on all your extension sockets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Thanks Solair. Great response. I hadn't realised I could use my existing cordless phones (just bought them). I thought I had to use special ones supplied by UPS. That's great news. The only other concern is alarm monitoring. My alarm is connected to a monitoring system and I'm afraid I can't do without that service. Is there a way to have this service with UPC phones?

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

Yep My alarm is connected to UPC line, works perfectly.. only downside to it is if there's a powercut which rarely happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I have the fibre power ultimate tripleplay bundle for €86 with the 200 minutes
    Had the 25mb up till a few months ago, my old modem was giving bother and when the engineer came out I got the upgraded modem free ~ so I upgraded to the 100mb for €10pm, got speed increase to 120 a few weeks ago.

I don't download much, but it's much quicker than before for that. Tbh for everything else I don't really notice too much.

mark17j wrote: »
    Yep My alarm is connected to UPC line, works perfectly.. only downside to it is if there's a powercut which rarely happens.

Yes, alarms work perfectly with UPC, or any other provider, despite what some company's try to tell you to sell GSMs.

Advertisement