Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling an Ebay business

Options
  • 09-07-2012 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all, I'm new to boards and came here to get some advice and opinions.

I started a business two years ago when i was in first year in college to make some extra money. The business is a limited company and is also vat registered although turnover is not in excess of 75k i still registered for vat as it looks more professional.

In its first year i made a profit and it's on track to make a profit again this year. I don't pay myself weekly, i just pay expenses and a bit here and there as i also have a part time job.

I am now going into my final year in college come September and i wont really have time to do all college work, business work and part time work. My plan was to maybe wind up the business or maybe take a year of trading but with accountancy fees etc its not practical to do that.

I don't want to give too much away about the business but it is all through ebay. The product is very high quality and is sold for 70% less than in shops. On ebay .ie I am the only person selling this product in multiple styles. 80% of my sales are outside Ireland with the UK being my biggest customer base. I have a customer database with all previous customers email address'. The margin on the product is over 300% and I still have plenty of stock. It's not a unique product but is in demand. The company has a business bank account and will be doing second year end accounts next month so any check is welcome if there was a interested party in the business.

My supplier in china is very reliable and the quality is perfect.

I have googled ebay business for sale and they seem to sell them without their ebay account and limited stock. My question is this: Is a ebay business worth anything? other than the value of the stock. Can it be worth more with a contract to say that i wont compete or use supplier etc.

All opinions welcome.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Well done on your business, part-time job and studies!!

It is unlikely that anyone would buy the company itself, as the potential for liabilities, cost of due dilligence etc in such a low turnover entity would not justify the professional/legal expenses.

A general rule of thumb is that a business is worth around 5 times after tax profits OR the value of the assets, possibly plus an extra percentage for goodwill, whichever is the higher. As you have not been taking a salary, any buyer would discount this back on the offer price calculated from after tax profits.
    Most business sales come with a non compete clause as standard for at least two years. If you are just selling the stock, no non compete would apply. Your other assets are your trading name ( goodwill) and your customer list ( which is assuming the customers repeat buy from you.

Hope this helps, if you wish to ask any questions, please feel free to PM me.

Cheers

Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

Hi Conjam,

I would be interested in some more info if you would like to send me some more details by private mail.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Neway

Hi i would also be interested if you could pm and hopefully we can work something out!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Interested in a potential part running of the business in exchange for a share if you want to pm? I wouldn't make a significant up front investment

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭07734

hi conjam

could you please pm me some info.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Great if you can PM me also please,

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dajeckel

Hi, would be interested in hearing a bit more info... Thanks.

Advertisement