Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time H1b visa stamping - home country or elsewhere?

Options
  • 09-07-2012 1:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

Has anyone here had their first H1b visa stamp done in Canada? I am tempted to get it done in Vancouver, as my OH is thinking about going there to get his first H1b renewal stamp but I am worried if any complications arise and I end up stuck there for a while.

On the other hand, I can just go get it done in Dublin when I go home for the Christmas holidays but I'd have a set time frame in which to get my passport back as I would have a return flight to the US booked. I wonder if processing is busy in December?

How far in advance can you book an appointment with the embassy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

I've yet to do this also but I would strongly recommend waiting until you're home to do it. The process is almost always smoother and quicker in your home country. If you do it in another country, it will most probably take longer.

I'm not sure how long in advance you can book an appointment, no harm calling them though and asking. Here's the info

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

Has anyone here had their first H1b visa stamp done in Canada? I am tempted to get it done in Vancouver, as my OH is thinking about going there to get his first H1b renewal stamp but I am worried if any complications arise and I end up stuck there for a while.

On the other hand, I can just go get it done in Dublin when I go home for the Christmas holidays but I'd have a set time frame in which to get my passport back as I would have a return flight to the US booked. I wonder if processing is busy in December?

How far in advance can you book an appointment with the embassy?

I think like Lisa said, it takes longer in your non home country, as the need to transfer files. At least that used to be the case, with the new digital system I think it should be better. Still If I were you I would do it at home to be safe or plan a lengthy vaca in Canada (Circa 1 1/2 - weeks). I had a 1 week delay for my papers to be to transfer once.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice - yeah I am just going to wait until I head back home. Definitely the safest option! I will give the embassy a call once I book my flights in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 LorcanShannon

Hi,

It is recommended that you go to your home country for your initial H-1B as they are more familiar with the degree structure. Files will not have to be transferred as all applications are on a database called PIMS.

Advertisement