Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fire alarm going off every 3 mins...

• 09-07-2012 5:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭

My fire alarm in my attics been going off every3 mins for the past 2 hours; no sign of a fire thou :( can't switch it off visits wired to the mains. Any suggestions pls!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Sar_Bear

Shoot it.

Low battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Kill it with fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Frowzy

Turn it off at the trip switch (or fuse box depending on how old your electrics are!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Stamp your foot in er - basically, time n pretend you're at a rave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

they have a battery back up it goes off when its low.Therer a mark on the side,insert a screwdriver and push sideways,it will come off it's wallmount.Take out the battery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

My fire alarm in my attics been going off every3 mins for the past 2 hours; no sign of a fire thou :( can't switch it off visits wired to the mains. Any suggestions pls!!!

replace the battery... if it goes off every 3 mins the battery is dying... its programmed to do that when the battery is on it's last legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Stupify

Are you sure its a fire alarm? It could be a carbon monoxide alarm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Were you making toast?

That's the only thing that sets off my fire alarm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Were you making toast?

You make toast in the attic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Buy a new house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Were you making toast?

That's your toast alarm, your fire alarm is the white thing next to it! Set fire you your couch, that should activate it so you can be sure it's still working!

It's the Everything is OK alarm; it's when it doesn't go off that you need to worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

replace the battery... if it goes off every 3 mins the battery is dying... its programmed to do that when the battery is on it's last legs.

It should stay silent and stop wasting power making loud noise.
    What if there was a fire and the back up battery had died?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Hobbes wrote: »
    You make toast in the attic?

The fire alarm upstairs gets set off by the toaster.

The toaster is downstairs in the kitchen.

Upstairs is near the attic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Jonah42

Replace the battery, or tear it off the ceiling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

Rabies wrote: »
    What if there was a fire and the back up battery had died?

That would be entirely your fault for not changing the battery. That's the entire point of the low battery warning. :rolleyes:

Zomg Okay wrote: »
    That would be entirely your fault for not changing the battery. That's the entire point of the low battery warning. :rolleyes:
    I'll put a smiley face after all my posts from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

I'll put a smiley face after all my posts from now on.

Stop being so pedantic :rolleyes:

Then go test your smoke alarm :)

Sauve wrote: »

New battery was put in a few weeks ago. My flat mate's dad was a fireman. He was raised to be fire safe. The house is alarmed and has fire blankets, extinguishers smoke alarms etc, all it needs is a fire!

Pity we don't have a fire place or gas cooker to even increase the chance of using them some day. Don't even smoke :(

*smiley added for effect*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

FIRE GOLF!!

FIRE GOLF!!

or football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

New battery was put in a few weeks ago. My flat mate's dad was a fireman. He was raised to be fire safe. The house is alarmed and has fire blankets, extinguishers smoke alarms etc, all it needs is a fire!

Pity we don't have a fire place or gas cooker to even increase the chance of using them some day. Don't even smoke :(

*smiley added for effect*
    All rented places are meant to have those.

Sounds like mains power has not gotten to the unit. The back up power is running low. Simple solution disconnect battery. Most likely damaged by person who put in battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭granturismo

Are you Ok, 12 hours later and no update from you.

Maybe there was a fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

blast it with piss ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

My fire alarm in my attics

Show off.
    One attic not good enough for ya?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭granturismo

KTRIC wrote: »
    blast it with piss ??

while holding onto something metal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    All rented places are meant to have those.

Sounds like mains power has not gotten to the unit. The back up power is running low. Simple solution disconnect battery. Most likely damaged by person who put in battery.

+ 1.

Those Wired Smoke Alarms are great tho. Alot are also gas detectors too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Close all your windows and doors, turn on all the taps and flood the house.

That should do the trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

What you're fire alarm is ringing but there's no fire, have you checked for smoke? You know what they say, 'there's no smoke without fire'. I'd keep checking.

You're lucky you don't have to change the batteries. I must get me one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Those lads playing fire football are stupid.....

...everyone knows you are supposed to have a "Safety Beer" in your hand when you play :rolleyes: Amateurs, eh :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Drink until it sound like music

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Thanks ! Sorry for lack of updates ; am still listening to it & am slowly loosing the will to live.
    Tried a few of the things here including the trip switch which worked for a lovely while ; until noticed the freezer was defrosting too :(
    Thought maybe it was dust setting it off so opened all windows & froze myself out of it ; yoke still bleating away.

Will try & find a ladder & the switch keemno posted about & report back. Grrrrrrrrrrr

Thanks thou. It's like living inside a " cross the road now" traffic light. :<

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Simple solution - Scissors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

Can you twist it's head off the base?

Seriously.Disabling fire alarms!?

Bleep fire alarm.

Well, it's still bloody bleeping.
    Having sorted a ladder to reach the odd cealing location over the stairs ,I cant twist the cap off as either it's on too tight ; it's like tyres that have had their nuts tightened :( when I try to force it the while body of the alarm starts to crunch through the plasterwork in the ceiling & even at that it still won't come off .

Thou my neighbours are literally deaf I am now almost unable to hear the bleep anymore but it's still going off 24/7 every 3 minutes or so . Turning off the LX from the fusebox dosnt work .

No makers Mark on the yoke :(

Help :0

It does'nt twist. Theres a slot for a screwdriver,put it in and push sideways.

• Advertisement

If it's very old the cover may just pull off, but most likely it slides sideways.

Update: finally sorted it for once & for all: yesterday.

I had to prise the fu$%er off the cealing finally with a screwdriver ; despite it saying " twist this ( other) way".

Dire warnings of electrocution inside the thing : wired to the house mains so on advice of friendly fireman switched off the main trip for LX to the house & disconnected it. It was like something from
    a Ridley Scottt film. They just wouldn't die.
    And I have 3 : once I disconnected one the other one on the next floor started. I may have to put the dog on Valium. Prised the other off the other cealing (. 13 foot high bloody cleanings) & they both kept beeping for two bloody hours on the kitchen table after The batteries were taken out. I thought I was going mad.

They re dead now : thank God.

Only one left working & frankly I think that's enough!!!

( thou will reconnect the rest again after I find the right battery's & have a stiff one to galvanise myself)

I can still hear the bleeping .
    :0

Advertisement