Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Internet hypocrite syndrome

• 09-07-2012 8:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I really am fascinated by this affliction. For people who don't know about it, it's when someone - a relatively normal person - suddenly becomes infinitely superior to their every day selves when they are on the Internet.

Let me give you some examples. Someone starts a post about how a shopkeeper made them break a 20 euro note in order to take 6 cent that went over their petrol bill.

REAL LIFE JOE: "fcuk sake, the hungry bastids - what's 6 cent going to do for them?"
    INTERNET JOE "so you got 20.06 worth of petrol and you paid for 20.06 worth of petrol - what's the problem?". Maybe add a rolleyes smiley in there too.

Next example. Man finds 50 euro on the street. Keeps it.

REAL LIFE JOE: "happy days! 50 bucks"
    INTERNET JOE: "congratulations OP, you're a thief" awaits thanks. Same person then heads off and downloads the latest film he couldn't be arsed paying for in the cinema.

Next. Guy starts a thread as follows: hey guys, I'm currently on social welfare but I have a one off job for a single day next week. Should I inform the social welfare?

REAL LIFE JOE: handy little earner, sure it's just for one day. Happy days.
    INTERNET JOE: OP what you're contemplating is fraud, and essentially theft. I hope you're caught and fined. Awaits thanks.

Boards in particular is full of people galloping around on high horses but I know that these people are not so high and mighty in real life. So why act like it? Are you so afraid of what people will think of you that you have to put on this "holier than thou" act? Or is it just all those precious thanks that you're after?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I really am fascinated by this affliction. For people who don't know about it, it's when someone - a relatively normal person - suddenly becomes infinitely superior to their every day selves when they are on the Internet.

Let me give you some examples. Someone starts a post about how a shopkeeper made them break a 20 euro note in order to take 6 cent that went over their petrol bill.

REAL LIFE JOE: "fcuk sake, the hungry bastids - what's 6 cent going to do for them?"
    INTERNET JOE "so you got 20.06 worth of petrol and you paid for 20.06 worth of petrol - what's the problem?". Maybe add a rolleyes smiley in there too.

INTERNET JOE: "congratulations OP, you're a thief" awaits thanks. Same person then heads off and downloads the latest film he couldn't be arsed paying for in the cinema.

Next. Guy starts a thread as follows: hey guys, I'm currently on social welfare but I have a one off job for a single day next week. Should I inform the social welfare?

INTERNET JOE: OP what you're contemplating is fraud, and essentially theft. I hope you're caught and fined. Awaits thanks.

Boards in particular is full of people galloping around on high horses but I know that these people are not so high and mighty in real life. So why act like it? Are you so afraid of what people will think of you that you have to put on this "holier than thou" act? Or is it just all those precious thanks that you're after?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

What do you really think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

The high horse brigade online act the same way in real life. It's not an internet specific trait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

*Awaits thanks*

Wait, am I doing it wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

I agree with u 100%. Only I would add that Internet joe also has to make some smartarsed comment, only last night on after hours did I make this observation

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

ah the same time
    you cant say anything either
    your a hypocrite aswell
    you cant say anyone is not like they are in real life as they are on the internet (unless their keyboard warriors) for all you know i could be the complete opposite to this yaaaaanoooooooo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

People bite their tongue more often in real life, the sentiments still exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Thinly veiled dole bashing thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Doesn't apply to me thank God.

Never used the internet in my life, nor never will! Its the devils tool I tells ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

anonymity brings out the b*stard in everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Thinly veiled it's time for breakfast post.

Thinly veiled equestrian thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I read that thread about the petrol.
    To be honest I thought what I would have thought "in real life" so to speak.
    Fair enough going over by a cent or two, but 6 cent was a bit much to expect to get off with?

I think a lot of the time, people, such as the OP, don't realise there are lots of different people in the world who think differently and in real life as well as online, their opinions are going to be different to yours, whether you agree with them or not.
    Boards and sites like it would be fairly boring if we all agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I don't think that's always true - there are many posters on here who I imagine are exactly as they are in real life.

True, there are people who have their "internet personas" & that persona is different from their real life one, but I don't think that applies across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

I like this Internet Joe lad, sounds like someone in the private sector trying to earn a crust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Just look at Jason Byrne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I read a study about it before, well it was about how people communicate these days and it touched on this subject. It was a bit worrying to ready because it was more so about the youth of today and how they act online.

The bottom line is that you can say what you want, when you want without any real repercussions and it's easy to do because you don't have to actually face someone while doing it.

The problem is that people get used to the fact that there's no repercussions so this behaviour spills into real life, and that's when shít hits the fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Oooooh the petrol quote is mine which I fully believe in

What's worse is people complaining about having to pay for what they got

There are some people like that of course. Same as in real life though, all talk but once they're pulled up on something, will back down immediately. But there are lots who really are "what you see is what you get", me included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I don't really get the petrol one either. You pay for what you get - what's the problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Davidius wrote: »
    People bite their tongue more often in real life, the sentiments still exist.
    This definitely.

People are far faster to come out with the socially accepted "normal answer" in real life for the sake of keeping that life harmonious.

Real life relationships aren't disposable, you can't simply close your account and start over again if you piss off people you'll see by telling them truths they don't want to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

That 20.06 story hit the nail on the head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

I'm definitely a little bit like that on here, to be honest. Preachy McMeechy on the internet sometimes but then do the total opposite of what I preached was right in real life. Why? Probably because I like to think I'm a better person than I really am. If I type it down it makes it more real and I kind of convince myself it's true. Sad but true....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you complain about people on high horses, does that make your horse higher than theirs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

biko wrote: »
    If you complain about people on high horses, does that make your horse higher than theirs?

Tis a barely a pony I be sitting on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

biko wrote: »

No just observant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Jaysus, the title of this thread made me think it might be something interesting, but no, you are just comparing people who are objectionable against a broadcaster who tends to appeal to an audience that is quite sensationalist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I blame the public sector and travellers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Jaysus, the title of this thread made me think it might be something interesting, but no, you are just comparing people who are objectionable against a broadcaster who tends to appeal to an audience that is quite sensationalist.

You make e it sound even more interesting now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I blame the public sector and travellers.

And not the Foreign Nationals? Interesting......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

One word for those people - losers

There seems to be a clique on boards. I've often wondered if people know each other personally on this?

I wish the thank button was removed cause it does my head in seeing the same people lick each others asses. If you're not a loser who posts on this 24/7 then you're viewed as a 'guest' and you need to earn your place on this, or you are patronised by the regulars who quote your post and pass some smart reply which receives 50 likes from all the other regular users

endabob1 wrote: »
    And not the Foreign Nationals? Interesting......

It's a disgrace Joe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭puffishoes

Cheeky_gal wrote: »

There seems to be a clique on boards. I've often wondered if people know each other personally on this?

I wish the thank button was removed cause it does my head in seeing the same people lick each others asses. If you're not a loser who posts on this 24/7 then you're viewed as a 'guest' and you need to earn your place on this, or you are patronised by the regulars who quote your post and pass some smart reply which receives 50 likes from all the other regular users

the "thank" button has lost all meaning.

It's basically turned into a bunch of giggling girls who agree with each other.

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    I wish the thank button was removed cause it does my head in seeing the same people lick each others asses.

I thanked you there so you wouldn't feel left out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Cheeky_gal wrote:

Spending massive time on Boards earns you "respect" on here which in turn makes your actual life hilariously pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

There's 5 main types of people being discussed on here:

1) The jeckel-and-hyde type person, who says one thing on the internet, but does the opposite in real life.
    2) The person who acts in real life the way they do on boards, and who would let yerman in the petrol example away with the 6p (Thats my type)
    3) The person who acts in real life the way they do on boards, and who would be a stickler for 6 fcukin p, the arsehole nerd type. (For some reason, boards attracts a huge contingent of these people)
    4) Completly random trolls, who sometimes post what they really think, and sometimes post stuff just to stir sh1te.
    5) Normal people, who rarely go on the internet and couldn't give a sh1t what goes on in other peoples lives.

I'd say the demograph of the country is about 70% number 5, 20% number 2, 10% number 3, and the rest are negligable. However, a lot of the 3's gravitate towards boards, so there seems to be an over-representation of them and their attitudes on this site.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Spending massive time on Boards earns you "respect" on here which in turn makes your actual life hilariously pathetic.

It does neither.

It does neither.

Yup, it does.

Yup, it does.
    How did you work that one out?

smash wrote: »
    Yup, it does.
    How did you work that one out?

Spending every waking moment on a message board vs actual social life. Something has to give.

• Advertisement

Yup, it does.
    It gives people more time to see how much they agree or disagree with a person.

I don't feel like part of a crew even though I've been on here ages... I feel like a lone wolf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Spending every waking moment on a message board vs actual social life. Something has to give.

*insert supposedly witty civil service text here*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

newmug wrote: »
    There's 5 main types of people being discussed on here:

1) The jeckel-and-hyde type person, who says one thing on the internet, but does the opposite in real life.
    2) The person who acts in real life the way they do on boards, and who would let yerman in the petrol example away with the 6p (Thats my type)
    3) The person who acts in real life the way they do on boards, and who would be a stickler for 6 fcukin p, the arsehole nerd type. (For some reason, boards attracts a huge contingent of these people)
    4) Completly random trolls, who sometimes post what they really think, and sometimes post stuff just to stir sh1te.
    5) Normal people, who rarely go on the internet and couldn't give a sh1t what goes on in other peoples lives.

I'm a mix of 2 and 5 tbh! I don't get involved too much in the debating side of threads (apart from the annual Grand National bashing thread :o), I prefer the more lighthearted ones where you can have a bit of 'craic' on them. Nothing worse than seeing a thread getting bogged down into just an argument between 2 posters and the rest of us just saying, "Ah I'll leave them to it!"

You can be a regular active member of boards and participate quiet a lot without it affecting a social life. Well, maybe you feel you can only have a bit of boards here and there so as not to get hooked on it. But sure it's fine for me, I don't have a posting addiction like, 1 or 2 here and there and I'm grand.

You can be a regular active member of boards and participate quiet a lot without it affecting a social life. Well, maybe you feel you can only have a bit of boards here and there so as not to get hooked on it. But sure it's fine for me, I don't have a posting addiction like, 1 or 2 here and there and I'm grand.

I wasn't passing judgement on anyone, who the hell am I to do that?

I was just agreeing with cheeky_gals comment that the people who are here much more regularly than most seem to thank each others posts and jump to each others defence. That's cool and all but I'm allowed to mention it without it being jumped on by a few of you.

There are of course posters who seem to be online all day every day who the no life comment could be directed at.

Your first reply to me proves my point about the regulars and thanks by the way.

(plus one little girl being spiteful because of another thread)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

Anonymity allows to us to say what we really feel. You'll find people will be more straight with you on a message board than in real life 90% of the time. I speak my mind fully on here where in real life you're sometimes forced to bite your tongue and give a half truth to suit your own ends or avoid offending others.
    If anonymity gives people a chance to act hyprocritical, to troll, so be it. They're only hurting themselves in the long run.

Your first reply to me proves my point about the regulars and thanks by the way.

I've thanked loads of your posts in the past. Does that mean that we have a little clique? I don't think it does...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

I've thanked loads of your posts in the past. Does that mean that we have a little clique? I don't think it does...

The clique-y thing seems to be more prevalent among the mods IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

No it just means you fancy him...... :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement