Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Internet hypocrite syndrome

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

You're allowed one account.

I'd be worried about the reputation my account has.

Seriously, hypocrits come from f**king everywhere. I see it all the time "oh no, you can't take a 5 minute break" and then they continue chatting for 30 minutes about the latest ****ing episode of Eastenders or the footie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

kfallon wrote: »
    No it just means you fancy him...... :pac:

;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I wasn't passing judgement on anyone, who the hell am I to do that?

I know that post wasn't directed towards any individual in particular. It was a general remark towards a group of people.

I was just agreeing with cheeky_gals comment that the people who are here much more regularly than most seem to thank each others posts and jump to each others defence. That's cool and all but I'm allowed to mention it without it being jumped on by a few of you.

You appear to have taken my "It does neither," comment wrongly. I wasn't jumping on you by saying as such. One does not have to be a constant poster here to earn respect, all they need to do is post something that is either entertaining or makes sense. Nor does posting regularly affect a social life, as shown by the many beers that have been organised within the various forums throughout boards. This overall place is actually quiet positive in promoting an active social life.
    There are of course posters who seem to be online all day every day who the no life comment could be directed at.

What people choose to do in there own time as long as it doesn't have a direct negative impact on others is fine by me. You claimed earlier you are not one to judge anyone, if this is not judging, what is it?
    Your first reply to me proves my point about the regulars and thanks by the way.

I recon they would of either posted something similar or thanked anyone else that had same the same thing. It doesn't give me any sense of personal validation here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Boards in particular is full of people galloping around on high horses but I know that these people are not so high and mighty in real life. So why act like it? Are you so afraid of what people will think of you that you have to put on this "holier than thou" act? Or is it just all those precious thanks that you're after?

Well thats the thing though it's not real life.

It's like somebody playing call of duty then saying they wouldnt do that in real life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

I really am fascinated by this affliction. For people who don't know about it, it's when someone - a relatively normal person - suddenly becomes infinitely superior to their every day selves when they are on the Internet.

Let me give you some examples. Someone starts a post about how a shopkeeper made them break a 20 euro note in order to take 6 cent that went over their petrol bill.

REAL LIFE JOE: "fcuk sake, the hungry bastids - what's 6 cent going to do for them?"
    INTERNET JOE "so you got 20.06 worth of petrol and you paid for 20.06 worth of petrol - what's the problem?". Maybe add a rolleyes smiley in there too.

Next example. Man finds 50 euro on the street. Keeps it.

REAL LIFE JOE: "happy days! 50 bucks"
    INTERNET JOE: "congratulations OP, you're a thief" awaits thanks. Same person then heads off and downloads the latest film he couldn't be arsed paying for in the cinema.

Next. Guy starts a thread as follows: hey guys, I'm currently on social welfare but I have a one off job for a single day next week. Should I inform the social welfare?

REAL LIFE JOE: handy little earner, sure it's just for one day. Happy days.
    INTERNET JOE: OP what you're contemplating is fraud, and essentially theft. I hope you're caught and fined. Awaits thanks.

Boards in particular is full of people galloping around on high horses but I know that these people are not so high and mighty in real life.

How can you possibly "know" this? You can't. Anyway most people don't go around giving their opinion when they haven't been asked in real life because nobody wants to hear it.

This is a discussion board so people give their opinion. If every reply just agreed with the OP and congratulated them on the 50 euro they found or the 6 cent they scored at the petrol station it would be pretty boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Just thought I'd better 'vindicate' my thanks of Dravokivich's post!

I don't see this clique type trend that has been mentioned and would look on the use of the 'thanks' button as a quick and easy way of saying that you agree with a person. Just as in real life if a topic is being debated and a valid point is made people will agree with it.

Also some long time members of Boards will naturally have become known to each other through the various social gatherings and again as a long time reader I don't see this so much as a clique but just more of a familiarity of each others posting styles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

There are plenty of people who never like to leave the saddle of their horses on this forum. I think the attitude might be slightly exaggerated (perhaps they are just trolling) or perhaps they are telling the truth. There are no repercussions for giving your real opinion on boards but there are plenty in real life, so I assume that people tend to be more honest on boards. Then there are just **** stirrers and trolls.

I find that there also seems to be a clique on boards, but that happens everywhere so it isn't surprising. I usually thank posts without even looking at the username, it is the content of the post that I am agreeing with.

I often have ''unpopular opinions'' which I rarely share with people in real life and which I freely share with you fine people of boards, whether you like it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Angeles

Makes and chats about a post on internet personalities on boards.ie.

REAL LIFE JOE: Boards ye say? Internet ye say? jasus would ya ever get out and get yourself a girlfriend/boyfriend.
    INTERNET JOE: Tits or gtfo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

All this talk of horses has me wanting to do a sneaky Lucky 15 at lunchtime :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

smash wrote: »
    Your first reply to me proves my point about the regulars and thanks by the way.

I've thanked loads of your posts in the past. Does that mean that we have a little clique? I don't think it does...

And likewise, come on you know what I meant....

As I said above I'm not trying to insult anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

It's a discussion forum, there are obviously people that you won't agree with or may even dislike but it's the same in real life.

The internet is a place for opinons and discussion and some people may lead a different persona online where they feel more comfortable and perhaps it is an outlet for them to express themselves in a way that they wouldn't be able to do in their day to day lives.

Boards wouldn't be very interesting if we all got along with each other and agreed on everything. you don't have to read into every view and opinon just take them with a pinch of salt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

As I said above I'm not trying to insult anyone.

It's too late... I feel like a little bit of me just died :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

You appear to have taken my "It does neither," comment wrongly.

Well I apologise then. I did take it wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

tmc86 wrote: »
    It's a discussion forum, there are obviously people that you won't agree with or may even dislike but it's the same in real life.

The internet is a place for opinons and discussion and some people may lead a different persona online where they feel more comfortable and perhaps it is an outlet for them to express themselves in a way that they wouldn't be able to do in their day to day lives.

Boards wouldn't be very interesting if we all got along with each other and agreed on everything. you don't have to read into every view and opinon just take them with a pinch of salt.

WTF has that got to do with anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

I have often referenced things from other threads when posting in another, only one or two posters might get the reference but the post will still make sense. This might be seen as cliquey and the posters who get the reference may thank the post. It's not intended to exclude other posters.

I think most people are honest here - apart from trolls etc, simply because you can be. In real life you often have to be diplomatic, so it's nice to have somewhere to vent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Let me give you some examples. Someone starts a post about how a shopkeeper made them break a 20 euro note in order to take 6 cent that went over their petrol bill.

REAL LIFE JOE: "fcuk sake, the hungry bastids - what's 6 cent going to do for them?"
    INTERNET JOE "so you got 20.06 worth of petrol and you paid for 20.06 worth of petrol - what's the problem?". Maybe add a rolleyes smiley in there too.

Seriously though if i ran a petrol pump i would hate these people that run up to 20.06. How many times have people been at 19.99 and hit the lever again. Just so they didn't pay 1 miserable cent more that they needed to by giving 20. So they end up running up to 20.06. I'd be thinking f**k u pay the 20.06.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Medusa22 wrote: »
    There are plenty of people who never like to leave the saddle of their horses on this forum. I think the attitude might be slightly exaggerated (perhaps they are just trolling) or perhaps they are telling the truth. There are no repercussions for giving your real opinion on boards but there are plenty in real life, so I assume that people tend to be more honest on boards. Then there are just **** stirrers and trolls.

I find that there also seems to be a clique on boards, but that happens everywhere so it isn't surprising. I usually thank posts without even looking at the username, it is the content of the post that I am agreeing with.

I often have ''unpopular opinions'' which I rarely share with people in real life and which I freely share with you fine people of boards, whether you like it or not.

Not true. I'm sure if most people were allowed vent their true feelings on here, the site would get shut down; hence the forum rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Not true. I'm sure if most people were allowed vent their true feelings on here, the site would get shut down; hence the forum rules.

Fair enough, that's a valid point. Perhaps I should have said that there are less repercussions for being honest on boards than in reality. Infraction vs a kick in the face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

I'm as much of a condescending arse offline as on.

This is probably because peoples stupid opinions know no boundaries.

Medusa22 wrote: »
    Fair enough, that's a valid point. Perhaps I should have said that there are less repercussions for being honest on boards than in reality. Infraction vs a kick in the face.

Not unless Facekicker was around (god rest him).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    One word for those people - losers

There seems to be a clique on boards. I've often wondered if people know each other personally on this?

I wish the thank button was removed cause it does my head in seeing the same people lick each others asses. If you're not a loser who posts on this 24/7 then you're viewed as a 'guest' and you need to earn your place on this, or you are patronised by the regulars who quote your post and pass some smart reply which receives 50 likes from all the other regular users

There is cliques everywhere. While I might agree with some of what you are saying calling people who post a fair bit losers is a bit much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

hondasam wrote: »
    There is cliques everywhere. While I might agree with some of what you are saying calling people who post a fair bit losers is a bit much.

what really gets me is when i see a newbie post their very first thing on boards, only to be met with a reply from a poster with thousands of posts, belittling the newb and not answering their query, all because they only have one post. its pathetic and immature.

what really gets me is when i see a newbie post their very first thing on boards, only to be met with a reply from a poster with thousands of posts, belittling the newb and not answering their query, all because they only have one post. its pathetic and immature.

Yes I agree and I'm sure most of us are guilty of something or other. Off the cuff posts happen without thinking sometimes.
    We are were all new at one time so we should be more tolerant I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

There seems to be a clique on boards. I've often wondered if people know each other personally on this?

I wish the thank button was removed cause it does my head in seeing the same people lick each others asses. If you're not a loser who posts on this 24/7 then you're viewed as a 'guest' and you need to earn your place on this, or you are patronised by the regulars who quote your post and pass some smart reply which receives 50 likes from all the other regular users

I've got a little over 1,000 posts in a few years here, so I'm not exactly a regular user. There is only one person on the whole of boards who I have seen to deliberately try to belittle me or insult me for my posts. Everyone else has been nice enough. I haven't been patronised much either.

Then again, this is probably going to be considered a lick-@ss post, so make of it what you will. I'm just telling it how it is. In some forums, such as AH, you're obviously going to be trolled if you're not recognised. It's because it's funny, nothing more. It's got nothing to do with patronising you because you're new. It's because anyone who uses AH regularly can usually see when they're being trolled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

It happens in AH a lot, but lets face it that if you join boards and post straight off in AH, then I would assume you've been a long time lurker in the forum and know how it's going to end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    In some forums, such as AH, you're obviously going to be trolled if you're not recognised.
    See, this is where you go wrong. It isn't anything to do with someone being recognised. It is if someone posts something silly. Generally, the longer a person is here, the less inclined they are to post stupid stuff in AH, so they are less likely to post stupid stuff, and get crap. But it does happen, and they get trolled on that basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Pushtrak wrote: »
    See, this is where you go wrong. It isn't anything to do with someone being recognised. It is if someone posts something silly. Generally, the longer a person is here, the less inclined they are to post stupid stuff in AH, so they are less likely to post stupid stuff, and get crap. But it does happen, and they get trolled on that basis.

Definitely. At the same time though, sometimes you can get away with making silly posts if you're a reg. God knows I have. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

I think the site would be better without thanks tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Carles Puyol

The worst type of person on Boards are those who complain about Facebook discouraging social interaction, and then they themselves have about post over a thousand times a year..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

I feel like crying after reading that

• Advertisement

I think someone has a crush on <snip>...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

It really must make you fell big making fun of some one with dyslexia (Some of the greatest people have it) on the internet it use really give you a boner or something ???

Also i don't have a crush on him i am pointing out a troll on this site you nob

Really the last 2 posts has really pointed out hypocrites on boards

It really must make you fell big making fun of some one with dyslexia (Some of the greatest people have it) on the internet it use really give you a boner or something ???

Also i don't have a crush on him i am pointing out a troll on this site you nob

what makes you think the poster is referring to your writing abilities?

when i read 'i feel like crying after reading that' - i took it as a comment on how you publicly shamed another poster on boards.

which im pretty sure is not allowed on this site.

the best way to deal with a troll is to ignore him, not post about him to others

your writing ability didnt bother me in the slightest. your naming another boards user publicly did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

You do get a nose for trolls after a while, still get sucked in the odd time! Big hint is somebody who seems to always post something controversial or against the grain.

I don't see that much wrong with somebody working a day here and there and not telling Welfare as the OP mentioned, I don't see the need for the admin on it. The other side is if anybody would tell the Welfare about somebody taking the piss, it's informing or my favourite, look at the banks and the politicians, claim away!

The other side is the welfare scrounger threads, a trolls dream.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

how do you mean?

When I read your post did not notice the mistakes at all def did not think your were dyslectic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Boards in particular is full of people galloping around on high horses but I know that these people are not so high and mighty in real life. So why act like it? Are you so afraid of what people will think of you that you have to put on this "holier than thou" act? Or is it just all those precious thanks that you're after?

I think it's more got to do with trying to be popular and trying to get as many "thanks" as possible!

Some of the comments/jokes I see in AH looking for "thanks" are so cringe it makes me sick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Has been posted my times towards me on this site making fun of my spellings they always post this towards me Or one more great one is that my kids cry after reading this. When you can't spell they are very hurtful things to say its the same as making fun of a person in a wheelchair we can't help what is wrong with us put people who think there perfect will LoL away about it

I can't help i will never be able to spell it just will never no how to as it does not go in to my brain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I think the site would be better without thanks tbh

Has been posted my times towards me on this site making fun of my spellings they always post this towards me Or one more great one is that my kids cry after reading this. When you can't spell they are very hurtful things to say its the same as making fun of a person in a wheelchair we can't help what is wrong with us put people who think there perfect will LoL away about it

I can't help i will never be able to spell it just will never no how to as it does not go in to my brain

well you just need to ignore the grammar nazi's :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Am I in a clique?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Kamjana

OP are you the same in real life as you are on here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Has been posted my times towards me on this site making fun of my spellings they always post this towards me

Grammer Nazi's are sad basterds. Just enjoy yourself and report them because it is against the charter.

Being a grammar Nazi with dyslexic people is mild form of bullying in my books and I'm fairly sure the mods will put them in their place quickly enough if you bring it to their attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

]

Maybe you should question your own post history first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Kamjana wrote: »
    OP are you the same in real life as you are on here?

Yes. Now enjoy your research ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

I prefer internet me.
    He can say what he wants and nobody will beat him up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Kamjana

Yes. Now enjoy your research ;-)

My research?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

*rides in on high horse, kicking dust into the air*

I disagree. If you're new and post something smart or funny, you might get some minor ribbing, but you'll get your thanks.
    If you post something that people disagree with, then they'll state their disagreement, regardless of your post history.
    The stronger/wronger your opinion, the more strongly people will disagree with you.

The problem is that people take that disagreement as a personal attack rather than a difference of opinion expressed, sometimes, in a tone matching that set by the OP.

As for cliques, I think they're largely imagined. Do the same small numbers of people tend to thank each other's posts? Yes, but that's because they agree with each other. There are some posters I'll be more likely to thank the posts of than others, but only because I agree with their posts more than the others.
    But I'll thank any post that I think is good.
    Also, some people see the thanking of a post that disagrees with them as a personal attack, rather than the thanker simply agreeing with the thankee.

Now for a personal confession: I get on my high horse a lot; so much so that I have a permanent case of saddlesore.

Do I want to give out to people all the time? No.

But unfortunately this forum is too full, at times, of complete and utter nonsense, and not always nonsense deliberately posted by trolls to get a reaction.
    I read hateful, misinformed tripe about fordinners, wimminz, scumbags etc and, even though I know I should ignore the posts, I can't help but respond. In real life I'm more easy-going and positive (though I get on my high horse in real life when necessary too), but I feel sometimes that I can't let the bullsh*t go unchallenged.

So, do people here get on their high horses? Yes.
    But do they sometimes need to? I think so, and the number of trolls/eejits closing their accounts after a few posts because some people have had the temerity to point out their stupidity suggests that maybe high-horsing works.
    Some people just need to be told when they're being stupid. How else will they learn?

And one last thing: calling people "losers" won't endear you to them.
    puffishoes wrote: »
    the "thank" button has lost all meaning.

It's basically turned into a bunch of giggling girls who agree with each other.

Eh, that's what it's for.

*jumps on high horse, waves stetson triumphantly in the air, and rides off into the sunset*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Fupping Grasshole

If you dig a deep enough trench, you can make a high horse into a low horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

If you dig a deep enough trench, you can make a high horse into a low horse.

That's what they do on Tom Cruise films whenever his co-stars are on a horse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 nuriel_roubini

I really am fascinated by this affliction. For people who don't know about it, it's when someone - a relatively normal person - suddenly becomes infinitely superior to their every day selves when they are on the Internet.

Next example. Man finds 50 euro on the street. Keeps it.

REAL LIFE JOE: "happy days! 50 bucks"
    INTERNET JOE: "congratulations OP, you're a thief" awaits thanks. Same person then heads off and downloads the latest film he couldn't be arsed paying for in the cinema.

Next. Guy starts a thread as follows: hey guys, I'm currently on social welfare but I have a one off job for a single day next week. Should I inform the social welfare?

REAL LIFE JOE: handy little earner, sure it's just for one day. Happy days.
    INTERNET JOE: OP what you're contemplating is fraud, and essentially theft. I hope you're caught and fined. Awaits thanks.

the above post is this sites sgt peppers , a game changer

you truly speak the truth hombre

i was starting to loose faith in this country from reading boards but you,ve reassured me that humourless , ultra conformist , orthodox pc liberals and male feminists , are not the majority in the real world

as for the gormless squares who trip over themselves to thank MOD,s for banning people who go against the boards PC gospel , were you people shunned in school for cheering on the teacher when they gave detention to the messers , revenge of the nerds

as for the MOD,s , i picture them going to work everyday but rather than wear a boiler suit or shirt and tie , they suit up in a superman , spidey or green lantern outfit , swords of rightousness each and everyone of them , fighting the good fight for squeaky clean pc puritans on the planet known as BOARDS , their mission to rid the world of anyone who dares to rock the good ship smug on its self satisfied voyage to never ending clever ( but right on ) quip land

awaits ban

• Advertisement
Advertisement