Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Internet hypocrite syndrome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    One word for those people - losers

There seems to be a clique on boards. I've often wondered if people know each other personally on this?

I wish the thank button was removed cause it does my head in seeing the same people lick each others asses. If you're not a loser who posts on this 24/7 then you're viewed as a 'guest' and you need to earn your place on this, or you are patronised by the regulars who quote your post and pass some smart reply which receives 50 likes from all the other regular users

Totally agree, and then there'll be a widespread rejection of a clique by the people in the clique, and then everyone will be like "nobody thinks there's a clique" which was just decided by the people in the clique.

CLIIIIIIIQUE

Also some mods of AH post and they get a load of thanks and it's not really funny at all.

Yet if a new poster came and posted the same thing they'd get 0 thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭xii

I just read this thread by only reading posts with 5+ thanks, saves a lot of time.

Thanks button ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

the above post is this sites sgt peppers , a game changer

you truly speak the truth hombre

i was starting to loose faith in this country from reading boards but you,ve reassured me that humourless , ultra conformist , orthodox pc liberals and male feminists , are not the majority in the real world

as for the gormless squares who trip over themselves to thank MOD,s for banning people who go against the boards PC gospel , were you people shunned in school for cheering on the teacher when they gave detention to the messers , revenge of the nerds

as for the MOD,s , i picture them going to work everyday but rather than wear a boiler suit or shirt and tie , they suit up in a superman , spidey or green lantern outfit , swords of rightousness each and everyone of them , fighting the good fight for squeaky clean pc puritans on the planet known as BOARDS , their mission to rid the world of anyone who dares to rock the good ship smug on its self satisfied voyage to never ending clever ( but right on ) quip land

Why did you sign up then? Oh wait, I know...
    awaits ban attention

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

How has this turned into a discussion on thanks

Oh wait, everyone really loves to be thanked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

How has this turned into a discussion on thanks

Oh wait, everyone really loves to be thanked

Thanks = more inches on the little major ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The one thing I've garnered from Boards is right wing conservatives are more likely to re-reg and moan about the pc, liberal agenda, same with a few posters moaning about the EU and democracy. It's so bad they'll re-reg and shill and have several voices to get over this affront to democracy.

There are plenty of posters here who espouse right wing politics and opinions and you can have a perfectly reasonable discussion with, same with Irish Republican and many other areas. Debating and discussing are all normal and healthy. Getting irate and abusive because somebody disagrees with you on the internet is spectacularly dumb.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Maybe you should question your own post history first?

What relevance does that have?

I was talking about people being in a clique.

Very strange..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I nominate the OP for post of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

K-9 wrote: »
    The one thing I've garnered from Boards is right wing conservatives are more likely to re-reg and moan about the pc, liberal agenda, same with a few posters moaning about the EU and democracy. It's so bad they'll re-reg and shill and have several voices to get over this affront to democracy.

There are plenty of posters here who espouse right wing politics and opinions and you can have a perfectly reasonable discussion with, same with Irish Republican and many other areas. Debating and discussing are all normal and healthy. Getting irate and abusive because somebody disagrees with you on the internet is spectacularly dumb.

Says who?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

kippy wrote: »
    Boards and sites like it would be fairly boring if we all agreed.

No they wouldn't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

The opening post has to be the best post i've read on this site ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Samich wrote: »
    Also some mods of AH post and they get a load of thanks and it's not really funny at all.

Yet if a new poster came and posted the same thing they'd get 0 thanks.

Not really the Mods fault though for getting any undeserved thanks. Of course they must adore having their arses licked by some herd members. Figuratively speaking of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

ArtSmart wrote: »
    Says who?

Would make the youtube comment section rather redundant.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

We all have the capacity to draw up our own strict code of double standards. Long as we abide by em, I don't see what the problem is

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

K-9 wrote: »
    Would make the youtube comment section rather redundant.

ah, the good stuff.

nothing like a good nutter rant to get the giggles going.

I nominate the OP for post of the year.

Jaysus, it's one of those sterotypical posts. Assuming because people say they're good citizens of the country on here that they're scumbags in real life.

How can anyone accuse someone of acting differently on the internet without actually knowing them in person?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

as for the gormless squares who trip over themselves to thank MOD,s for banning people

Abso-fûcking-lutely.....cretins of the highest order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

There is cliques on every forum. It's natural that informal groups are formed. It doesn't mean they're out to get you.

People who hate boards so much why don't you close your account? Because its going to be hard to change a group of people to suit you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Who hates Boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I really am fascinated by this affliction. For people who don't know about it, it's when someone - a relatively normal person - suddenly becomes infinitely superior to their every day selves when they are on the Internet.

Let me give you some examples. Someone starts a post about how a shopkeeper made them break a 20 euro note in order to take 6 cent that went over their petrol bill.

REAL LIFE JOE: "fcuk sake, the hungry bastids - what's 6 cent going to do for them?"
    INTERNET JOE "so you got 20.06 worth of petrol and you paid for 20.06 worth of petrol - what's the problem?". Maybe add a rolleyes smiley in there too.

Next example. Man finds 50 euro on the street. Keeps it.

REAL LIFE JOE: "happy days! 50 bucks"
    INTERNET JOE: "congratulations OP, you're a thief" awaits thanks. Same person then heads off and downloads the latest film he couldn't be arsed paying for in the cinema.

Next. Guy starts a thread as follows: hey guys, I'm currently on social welfare but I have a one off job for a single day next week. Should I inform the social welfare?

REAL LIFE JOE: handy little earner, sure it's just for one day. Happy days.
    INTERNET JOE: OP what you're contemplating is fraud, and essentially theft. I hope you're caught and fined. Awaits thanks.

Boards in particular is full of people galloping around on high horses but I know that these people are not so high and mighty in real life. So why act like it? Are you so afraid of what people will think of you that you have to put on this "holier than thou" act? Or is it just all those precious thanks that you're after?

I've long suspected it, and this is definitive proof!
    There really are eejits who take the Internet seriously.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Who hates Boards?

There is one or two names that are regulars in threads like this who just complain about everyone else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    I've long suspected it, and this is definitive proof!
    There really are eejits who take the Internet seriously.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You don't agree so?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

INTERNET JOE: "congratulations OP, you're a thief" awaits thanks. Same person then heads off and downloads the latest film he couldn't be arsed paying for in the cinema.

I would imagine in most cases Internet Joe is too much of a social retard to have anyone to come to the cinema with him. Some people on here are the grown up former kids who used to rat you out in school for trivial sh1t and then wonder in adulthood why they had no mates. Really, some of the bollix you read on here, it isnt hard to see the types of people Steve Coogan based Alan Partridge on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭puffishoes

Eh, that's what it's for.

*jumps on high horse, waves stetson triumphantly in the air, and rides off into the sunset*

No. if you thank every single post in an argument regardless of the contents of the post but just because it's of the giggly girls you normally thank then the thanks loses it's meaning.

so you go through a thread and the same bunch of clowns are thanking every single posts posted by the other clowns regardless of the contents of the post. I wouldn't mind if they only did it when was one of the giggly girls but the post was genuinely good or well thought or had good points regardless if i agree with them or not I'll still thank a good post.

This is how it should be used not a bunch of morons patting themselves on the back for a job well done because they ejerked all over the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

the above post is this sites sgt peppers , a game changer

you truly speak the truth hombre

i was starting to loose faith in this country from reading boards but you,ve reassured me that humourless , ultra conformist , orthodox pc liberals and male feminists , are not the majority in the real world

as for the gormless squares who trip over themselves to thank MOD,s for banning people who go against the boards PC gospel , were you people shunned in school for cheering on the teacher when they gave detention to the messers , revenge of the nerds

as for the MOD,s , i picture them going to work everyday but rather than wear a boiler suit or shirt and tie , they suit up in a superman , spidey or green lantern outfit , swords of rightousness each and everyone of them , fighting the good fight for squeaky clean pc puritans on the planet known as BOARDS , their mission to rid the world of anyone who dares to rock the good ship smug on its self satisfied voyage to never ending clever ( but right on ) quip land

awaits ban
    Then why do you keep re-reging?

Oh yeah, and you're banned anyway for being a re-reg of a site-banned user. That's not a mods fault, it's yours. But please feel free to blame me or anyone else if it helps you get through the day.
    Not really the Mods fault though for getting any undeserved thanks. Of course they must adore having their arses licked by some herd members. Figuratively speaking of course.

Figuratively?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

A Garda gave me an unreasonably hard time over something, etc.

REAL LIFE JOE: "He sounded like a right cùnt."

INTERNET JOE: "Maybe if you probably weren't being such a scumbag / sly fùcker for whatever it was you probably did then the, more than likely, upstanding Garda would not have had to use force. I've never heard of a Garda do this, therefore it has never happened anywhere.............rabble rabble............Garda bashing thread..........you're not Rodney King..........

I did drugs before

REAL LIFE JOE: "So did I" or "Drugs wouldn't be my thing" or "I don't need drugs to enjoy myself"

INTERNET JOE: "I don't need drugs to enjoy myself................drugs are for people with problems or are scumbaggery thugs. You buying drugs means somebody was stabbed tonight............you happy about that, are ya?.................ARE YA!?!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Duggy747 wrote: »
    A Garda gave me an unreasonably hard time over something, etc.

REAL LIFE JOE: "He sounded like a right cùnt."

INTERNET JOE: "Maybe if you probably weren't being such a scumbag / sly fùcker for whatever it was you probably did then the, more than likely, upstanding Garda would not have had to use force. I've never heard of a Garda do this, therefore it has never happened anywhere.............rabble rabble............Garda bashing thread..........you're not Rodney King..........

I did drugs before

REAL LIFE JOE: "So did I" or "Drugs wouldn't be my thing" or "I don't need drugs to enjoy myself"

INTERNET JOE: "I don't need drugs to enjoy myself................drugs are for people with problems or are scumbaggery thugs. You buying drugs means somebody was stabbed tonight............you happy about that, are ya?.................ARE YA!?!"

Look in PI when a drug related thread comes up. There are usually some people defending drugs in an equally obnoxious manner. :p

Who hates Boards?

There is one or two names that are regulars in threads like this who just complain about everyone else

I am going to assume that comment wasn't directed towards me GummyPanda.

This isn't your first time to aim an insult at me. You seem to have an issue with me considering you're the only user who seems to quote me whenever I post. It's a bit sad and pathetic. If you keep it up I will contact a mod cause at this stage it's beyond ridiculous and just plain nasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I really am fascinated by this affliction. For people who don't know about it, it's when someone - a relatively normal person - suddenly becomes infinitely superior to their every day selves when they are on the Internet.

Let me give you some examples. Someone starts a post about how a shopkeeper made them break a 20 euro note in order to take 6 cent that went over their petrol bill.

REAL LIFE JOE: "fcuk sake, the hungry bastids - what's 6 cent going to do for them?"
    INTERNET JOE "so you got 20.06 worth of petrol and you paid for 20.06 worth of petrol - what's the problem?". Maybe add a rolleyes smiley in there too.

Next. Guy starts a thread as follows: hey guys, I'm currently on social welfare but I have a one off job for a single day next week. Should I inform the social welfare?

REAL LIFE JOE: handy little earner, sure it's just for one day. Happy days.
    INTERNET JOE: OP what you're contemplating is fraud, and essentially theft. I hope you're caught and fined. Awaits thanks.

Boards in particular is full of people galloping around on high horses but I know that these people are not so high and mighty in real life. So why act like it? Are you so afraid of what people will think of you that you have to put on this "holier than thou" act? Or is it just all those precious thanks that you're after?

Agree 110%!!!!

It is hypocrisy. But I think its PC crap mixed in.
    Alot of people change what they say in an public forum. Be it public in the real world or even public on the internet.

It sickens me :mad:
    We all know what the worlds about (dog eat dog, every man for himself etc) But yet why do people need to just BS on? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Who hates Boards?

This isn't your first time to aim an insult at me. You seem to have an issue with me considering you're the only user who seems to quote me whenever I post. It's a bit sad and pathetic. If you keep it up I will contact a mod cause at this stage it's beyond ridiculous and just plain nasty.

I quoted one post but report away or use the ignore feature

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

This isn't your first time to aim an insult at me.
    Hm? You say this isn't the first time GummyPanda directed something at you. Yet, you say you aren't assuming the post was directed at you?

Agree 110%!!!!

It is hypocrisy. But I think its PC crap mixed in.
    Alot of people change what they say in an public forum. Be it public in the real world or even public on the internet.

It sickens me :mad:
    We all know what the worlds about (dog eat dog, every man for himself etc) But yet why do people need to just BS on? :rolleyes:

Do you know these people in real life and how they act? If not you can't make that judgement. If so, it probably means you're friends with them, why befriend them if they're such hypocrites?

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Hm? You say this isn't the first time GummyPanda directed something at you. Yet, you say you aren't assuming the post was directed at you?

If you need it explained to you then ok.

I said "I am going to assume that comment wasn't directed at me GummyPanda"

In other words "I'm going to overlook your smart comment there GummyPanda to avoid any hassle".

Hope that helps clear your confusion.

Boards in particular is full of people galloping around on high horses but I know that these people are not so high and mighty in real life.

Has the op answered how he knows this? Does he know the entire population of boards in real life?

Do you know these people in real life and how they act? If not you can't make that judgement. If so, it probably means you're friends with them, why befriend them if they're such hypocrites?

thats your counter-argument? :pac:

Funny, you are giving out to me for making 'assumptions' about others .. but you just made an assumption about me :pac:

For the record. I got a small social circle. All of which would never be PC/Hypocrite in any public forum. Be it online or in the real world. They are like me. Can YOU say the same about YOURS? :confused:

Funny, you are giving out to me for making 'assumptions' about others .. but you just made an assumption about me :pac:

For the record. I got a small social circle. All of which would never be PC/Hypocrite in any public forum. Be it online or in the real world. They are like me. Can YOU say the same about YOURS? :confused:

He didn't make an assumption about you, he came to a very logical conclusion which stands up. To say these people are hypocrites you'd have to know them and what they say both online and offline, and you can't possibly know that that, so you can't know if they're hypocrites or not.

So ok, you're saying your friends wouldn't be hypocritical because they're like you. How do you know the "high horse riders" are unlike you if you don't know them in person?

So ok, you're saying your friends wouldn't be hypocritical because they're like you. How do you know the "high horse riders" are unlike you if you don't know them in person?

Hold on,
    you are saying to me "how do I know" - well ok. But how DO YOU KNOW TOO THEN?!

Your argument is that without actually knowing someone I cant be sure if they are a hypocrite or not. Ok. But on the flip side without you personally knowing people on here too. How can you say I am wrong in my opinion? :confused:

then wouldnt that go to say we are both pi*sing in the wind

Hold on,
    you are saying to me "how do I know" - well ok. But how DO YOU KNOW TOO THEN?!

Your argument is that without actually knowing someone I cant be sure if they are a hypocrite or not. Ok. But on the flip side without you personally knowing people on here too. How can you say I am wrong in my opinion? :confused:

then wouldnt that go to say we are both pi*sing in the wind

No, you see, confused. He didn't say they weren't hypocrites. He only pointed out that you can't know that they are

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

I agree with the OP.

As a fairly newish member it makes me not want to post at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭puffishoes

I agree with the OP.

As a fairly newish member it makes me not want to post at all.

Doesn't seem to prevent you that much at all..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Kamjana

Has the op answered how he knows this? Does he know the entire population of boards in real life?

I wouldnt say the OP has any friends in real life.

Kamjana wrote: »
    I wouldnt say the OP has any friends in real life.

I'd say he has, it's just sterotypical is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

puffishoes wrote: »
    Doesn't seem to prevent you that much at all..

Should've clarified - Makes me not want to START threads. Ive only started 10 since I joined. the rest of my post are me making an effort to become a member.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Should've clarified - Makes me not want to START threads. Ive only started 10 since I joined. the rest of my post are me making an effort to become a member.
    10 threads, 146 posts is a lot. I only have 18 threads to my 1900 posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

puffishoes wrote: »
    No. if you thank every single post in an argument regardless of the contents of the post but just because it's of the giggly girls you normally thank then the thanks loses it's meaning.

so you go through a thread and the same bunch of clowns are thanking every single posts posted by the other clowns regardless of the contents of the post. I wouldn't mind if they only did it when was one of the giggly girls but the post was genuinely good or well thought or had good points regardless if i agree with them or not I'll still thank a good post.

This is how it should be used not a bunch of morons patting themselves on the back for a job well done because they ejerked all over the place.

But why are you assuming that that's their reason for thanking a post? You might not like the content of a post but another user might.

People regularly thanking the same posters can easily be explained by the fact that these people share similar views and frequent the same threads. If someone started a thread called "All Foreign Women are Junkies," I'd probably find myself thanking multiple posts by someone who argued against the OP's argument in an articulate manner.
    Someone who agrees with the OP might see this as us being cliquey and ganging up on them, but it's not: it's just two people agreeing with each other.

I see people genuinely agreeing with each other a lot, but I don't think I ever see people thank a post solely because of who wrote it (except perhaps in the case of M.T Cranium's weather forecasts). If I see that a post has been written by a user I know and like, then I'm going to be positively pre-disposed towards it, that's only human. But I'll still only thank their post if I like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭secretambition

Why assume that Joe is genuine and Internet Joe is fake? I would say that people are more honest on the internet because it's anonymous and a lot of what "friends" say to each other is bullsh$t designed to be what the other wants to hear.

Maybe Joe thinks you should pay for the petrol you get, but knows a moan would go down better with the mate who's always moaning.

Maybe he wouldn't keep €50 if he was on his own but knows the friend would consider him a "holy Joe" (excuse pun)

Same with the days work.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    10 threads, 146 posts is a lot. I only have 18 threads to my 1900 posts.

You'd argue with a wall wouldn't you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭vixdname

Kevwoody wrote: »
    I agree with u 100%. Only I would add that Internet joe also has to make some smartarsed comment, only last night on after hours did I make this observation

Well said, I had a similar experience a few short weeks ago.
    I brought up a subject about something that had happened on the news 2 days previous, I had done a search to see if there was any other threads about this subject so as not to be restarting an old subject and didnt find any.
    I started the thread and within minutes I had 2 idiots posting smart comments that it was old news etc etc .
    Some others came on and we had a decent discussion.
    I posted a "Rude" comment back to the smart ass poster and hey presto it was I that got a 4 days ban from Boards.
    When I argued with the Mod saying that Boards was getting to the stage where people cant be bothered posting new threads because you always have some smart ass lurking in the back ground just waiting to put your thread down or pass some smart comment, the mods reply was, that this was the nature of the After Hours forum.
    Sorry but I thought it was an open forum where people can have a discussion about any topic they choose and if you dont like the thread you simply ignore it and move to one that you enjoy.

Advertisement