Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Internet hypocrite syndrome

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Next on "Waterford", the new daytime AH soap....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Kamjana wrote: »
    Sifting through your old posts for the afternoon?,give me a break im only up out of bed,as i said i have a good memory and i remember things.

I didn't know I had such memorable posts. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

If you said something online about a person,then in real life you would have no problem saying it to their face?
    Of course. But that wasn't really the point of my original post.

For example, I post a lot on the Waterford forum...almost all of them know who I am in real life and I know a lot of them. If I was to say something to them it's pretty much the same as real life. All irrelevant to my original point.

What I'm saying is that, online, a lot of people seem to exist on a higher moral high ground than they do "offline". I see examples of it everyday on this forum. In fact, some people are so far removed from their real life selves that they probably wouldn't even recognise each other. (this is based on real examples but I could also generalise about this and not be too far wrong)
    So you would call this girl an ugly bitch to her face?

What you doing in AH anyway its unusual to see you venture out from under your brothers protection in the Waterford forum.
    LOL, I have my own stalker.

You should be embarrassed by the fact that you spent most of your afternoon sifting through my old posts. I'm honoured that my post has annoyed you so much. You, on the other hand, should be embarrassed.
    Oh wait, you're the idiot that closed his last account after you stalked me with that too. Your banned from the waterford forum too aren't ya?

Why don't ya be a man and tell me your real name?
    Ah yeah, I don't mind that. But this guy is actually my stalker. He used to follow my posts around on the waterford forum just basically disagreeing with everything I said, or abusing me. He was then banned and re-regged as his current name. I'm quite proud tbh.
    No not a stalker i just have a good memory,and yes i am banned from the Waterford forum but i didnt re-reg i actually closed my account,and when i opened this account i informed an admin who i was and the ban was put back in place.

And for the record i never abused you,thinking of someone different id say.
    Sifting through your old posts for the afternoon?,give me a break im only up out of bed,as i said i have a good memory and i remember things.
    I didn't know I had such memorable posts. Thanks!

Take the flirting to PM :pac:

You're just jealous kieran ;)

anyway...back on topic...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

I don't think that's always true - there are many posters on here who I imagine are exactly as they are in real life.

True, there are people who have their "internet personas" & that persona is different from their real life one, but I don't think that applies across the board.

I see what you did there :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

I really am fascinated by this affliction. For people who don't know about it, it's when someone - a relatively normal person - suddenly becomes infinitely superior to their every day selves when they are on the Internet.
    Is this a term you invented yourself, as I did a google and only result is this form.
    Stereotyping people into a group who's options disagree with your own is a handy tool in dismissing them when losing a debate, akin to calling someone a grammer-nazi, ironically not breaking Godwins-law.
    Let me give you some examples. Someone starts a post about how a shopkeeper made them break a 20 euro note in order to take 6 cent that went over their petrol bill.

REAL LIFE JOE: "fcuk sake, the hungry bastids - what's 6 cent going to do for them?"
    INTERNET JOE "so you got 20.06 worth of petrol and you paid for 20.06 worth of petrol - what's the problem?". Maybe add a rolleyes smiley in there too.
    Say I go into Tesco, and the shoping, (this is AI) I mean booze n' fags smokes, total as 20.06, I pay so why should it be any different in Texaco.
    I know people like to have a good bitch about things, and hate others stamping on their parade.

Like it's only 6c not important, who cares about it, except I assume everyone in the family has to hear the story of being asked for 6c, a 20min phone call to a friend, then off down the pub, bitching about 6c at least once an hour, then getting home sitting on the kitchen floor telling the story to the dog with his paws over his ears, of how you (general use of you not OP) don't care about 6c. Don't wanna stamp on the parade but just seems like wasting hours iof one's life over 6c, but I must be an IHS.
    Next example. Man finds 50 euro on the street. Keeps it.

REAL LIFE JOE: "happy days! 50 bucks"
    INTERNET JOE: "congratulations OP, you're a thief" awaits thanks. Same person then heads off and downloads the latest film he couldn't be arsed paying for in the cinema.
    When I was 14 back in teh 80's I lost 50£ for a bill (a lot of money back then), I spent hours looking it, I felt real bad as I was intrusted with it, so today if I found money I would go out of my way to find the owner, which I have done, this is not internet-tom but reallife-tom.
    To tell the truth I actually find it shocking that someone could see money that doesn't belong to them on the ground and pocket it, maybe they find it shocking that I couldn't. (but as I must be an IHS on a high horse just here to make someone feel guilty, so my option doesn't count)
    Boards in particular is full of people galloping around on high horses but I know that these people are not so high and mighty in real life. So why act like it? Are you so afraid of what people will think of you that you have to put on this "holier than thou" act? Or is it just all those precious thanks that you're after?

I read that you meant assume. I assume most if not all people has a degree of hypocrisy some have a Bs in it. I'm no ''holier than thou'' and dislike pack-mentality, so not 'afraid' of what the 200ish posters who agree with you think. I do my own thinking, and I will respect your opinion, but IHSing people is 'don't attack the post attack the poster. -anyone wanna join the anti-IHS brigade

- - -
    So from this forum we've learnt a new phrase an 'IHS' internet hypocrite syndrome, they're up there with the soup-nazi's ooh grammer, they have computers on a high horse and do not live in the real world, no sense of humour, being geeks they aspire oneday to become the spiderman-costume clad Mods of the interweb.

OK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

You're just jealous kieran ;)

anyway...back on topic...

Kieren ;)

Tomk1 wrote: »
    Is this a term you invented yourself, as I did a google and only result is this form.
    Stereotyping people into a group who's options disagree with your own is a handy tool in dismissing them when losing a debate, akin to calling someone a grammer-nazi, ironically not breaking Godwins-law.

Say I go into Tesco, and the shoping, (this is AI) I mean booze n' fags smokes, total as 20.06, I pay so why should it be any different in Texaco.
    I know people like to have a good bitch about things, and hate others stamping on their parade.

Like it's only 6c not important, who cares about it, except I assume everyone in the family has to hear the story of being asked for 6c, a 20min phone call to a friend, then off down the pub, bitching about 6c at least once an hour, then getting home sitting on the kitchen floor telling the story to the dog with his paws over his ears, of how you (general use of you not OP) don't care about 6c. Don't wanna stamp on the parade but just seems like wasting hours iof one's life over 6c, but I must be an IHS.

When I was 14 back in teh 80's I lost 50£ for a bill (a lot of money back then), I spent hours looking it, I felt real bad as I was intrusted with it, so today if I found money I would go out of my way to find the owner, which I have done, this is not internet-tom but reallife-tom.
    To tell the truth I actually find it shocking that someone could see money that doesn't belong to them on the ground and pocket it, maybe they find it shocking that I couldn't. (but as I must be an IHS on a high horse just here to make someone feel guilty, so my option doesn't count)

I read that you meant assume. I assume most if not all people has a degree of hypocrisy some have a Bs in it. I'm no ''holier than thou'' and dislike pack-mentality, so not 'afraid' of what the 200ish posters who agree with you think. I do my own thinking, and I will respect your opinion, but IHSing people is 'don't attack the post attack the poster. -anyone wanna join the anti-IHS brigade

- - -
    So from this forum we've learnt a new phrase an 'IHS' internet hypocrite syndrome, they're up there with the soup-nazi's ooh grammer, they have computers on a high horse and do not live in the real world, no sense of humour, being geeks they aspire oneday to become the spiderman-costume clad Mods of the interweb.

OK

I'll rise to your bait.

First off, the whole beginning of your post was somewhat of a waste of time. Your argument about Tesco belongs in the original thread about the petrol. I'm not saying that either argument is correct...all I'm saying is that a large majority of Boards.ie users seem to develop a tighter moral fabric when they're at their keyboards than when they are walking the streets and corridors of their daily lives.

Your argument about the £50 almost brought a tear to my eye, but again is totally irrelevant in the context of this thread. There are plenty of threads on AH about people finding money and the moral obligations that go with that, but this isn't one of them.

Your post, on the face of it, looks grand and intelligent (with a twist of arrogance) but I'm afraid you managed to miss the point of this thread by a country mile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

That's a bit dismissive of the €50 point, it's in the actual OP so it is relevant! The poster is showing he/she would be consistent and you go and dismiss it as irrelevant, rather conveniently.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    That's a bit dismissive of the €50 point, it's in the actual OP so it is relevant! The poster is showing he/she would be consistent and you go and dismiss it as irrelevant, rather conveniently.

Really? In the Original Post I was making the point that (some) people act one way in real life, and re-act in a different way altogether online. I wasn't, and had no intention on discussing the moral rules about finding money on the street. There have been enough threads on AH down through the years that discuss that in great depth.

Really? In the Original Post I was making the point that (some) people act one way in real life, and re-act in a different way altogether online. I wasn't, and had no intention on discussing the moral rules about finding money on the street. There have been enough threads on AH down through the years that discuss that in great depth.

I don't think the poster wants to discuss though they can clear that up, I talked about one of your examples and didn't want a debate. They are illustrating a point, you mightn't agree with it but no need to be so patronising. You like that in real life too with your friends?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I'm really not trying to be patronising but man is it frustrating when people go off on a tangent about something that really isn't related to the original post. If you want to talk about one of the examples, then you're being off-topic, and you, being a politics mod, will know all about the dangers of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Kerikosan

I agree, there are definitely Loads of "keyboard warriors" around. I guess it makes them feel important, cool or in power or sum thing? :D

Also grammar nazis... Definitely think they are superior. Will probably read every letter of my post to find grammatical errors and bitch about it.
    (Which i'm sure there are loads :D)

I'm really not trying to be patronising but man is it frustrating when people go off on a tangent about something that really isn't related to the original post. If you want to talk about one of the examples, then you're being off-topic, and you, being a politics mod, will know all about the dangers of that.

Generally if something is raised in an OP, it is worthy of discussion. I wouldn't come down hard on a poster for responding to an OP.

The poster nor indeed I, do not want to get intro a detailed debate about the specifics, we all agree here, me him/her and you. Why make such a big deal of something we agree on?

You okay with that? Seems a pretty reasonable position. Just using your OP as an illustration. Why does it annoy you?

So, we've reached agreement, but you still are bleating on? Odd.

Wtf?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

Dave0301 wrote: »
    Just thought I'd better 'vindicate' my thanks of Dravokivich's post!

I don't see this clique type trend that has been mentioned and would look on the use of the 'thanks' button as a quick and easy way of saying that you agree with a person. Just as in real life if a topic is being debated and a valid point is made people will agree with it.

Also some long time members of Boards will naturally have become known to each other through the various social gatherings and again as a long time reader I don't see this so much as a clique but just more of a familiarity of each others posting styles.

I'm watching you !

Watching......

• Site Banned Posts: 153 ✭✭kegzmc

Totally agree.

Boards is grand but full of tossers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭puffishoes

kegzmc wrote: »
    Totally agree.

Boards is grand but full of tossers

it's became hugely popular over the last 6-8 years.

What was once an ocean of intelligent, creative and witty posters has turned into a pit of norms people trying so hard not to be a norm they become one. Once you seen fora such as the ladies lounge and other nonsense appear boards could only go one way.

I think the trick is to be very selective on the fora you read and use ignore feature sooner rather than later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

You know all those people you see in coffee shops with ironic glasses and smashing pumpkins tee shirts that you wouldn't talk to/hang around with/ask for opinions in a million years?

Well they're the ones giving an opinion on your 6c, dole fraud, etc.

I give their opinions irl as much gravitas as i do online. Zero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

puffishoes wrote: »
    Once you seen fora such as the ladies lounge and other nonsense appear boards could only go one way.
    Don't use this forum to slag off other forums. Some people are perfectly happy with those forums, if you don't like them don't go there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement