Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kittiwake (lightship)

• 09-07-2012 9:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭

I notice that the lightship has vanished from its berth beside3 the eastlink bridge (opp Point Depot / 02 ) after a long spell rusting away there.

Originally it was supposed to be hauled ashore, and built into the centre of a new development under construction, but this fell through when the bus happened.

A friend of mine is restoring a similar vessel in The Netherlands, and he enquired about getting this ship for parts, but was quoted €100,000 by the current owner!

Any idea where it has moved to?

C635

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Back in Dun Laoghaire by any chance?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Not in DL and not owned by Irish Lights any more according to this article

http://afloat.ie/port-news/dun-laoghaire-news/item/16410-crosbie%E2%80%99s-caf%C3%A9-lightship-plan-rejected/

I'd say either in a shipyard somewhere being converted or else sold for scrap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭iopener

she's berthed in alexandra basin west in dublin port,she's tied up against the old dundalk port authority dredger mv Hebblesand.Hebbelsand was acquire by dublin port when the minster of transport handed dundalk and it's assets over to dublin.as far i know hebblesand is already sold to crowd from the north.they are down in the port getting her ready for the last few weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

Thanks for that.

Yes, saw Hebblesand for sale on e-tenders earlier in the year.

C635

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Conway635 wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

Yes, saw Hebblesand for sale on e-tenders earlier in the year.

C635

AFAIK is a subsidiary of Abco Marine who bought her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

my (great) uncle used to work on them, not sure if that one in particular but he was stationed on the Kish bank ship (whichever that may have been) for a good many years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

The Kittiwake light ship is currently berthed inside in Dublin port as opposed to on the liffey fairway. It has been purchased from Harry Crosbie by Dublin Port Co. for around 60,000 euro. It is due to be refurbished and placed somewhere in the city as a maritime ornament just like the diving bell on sir john rogersons quay.

Advertisement