Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NYC Shooting Stuff to do

Options
  • 09-07-2012 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

Going to NY for a few days the end of the month.
    Any cool shooting related day trips to do ?
    What are the best gun shop to visit also ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

NYC or NY State?? NYC is a wasteland shooting wise.You need to go upstate NY for anything intresting.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭gearoidol

nyc staying in times square,dont mind a bus ride but 45 mins or less is all the wife would stick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭wildfowler94

Cabelas or bass pro find a shop and go seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

A 45 minutes bus ride MIGHT just get you out of Manhattan, but I wouldn't count on it.

As Grizzly notes, metro NY is a no-no as far as ranges are concerned, and in any case, as a furriner, you'd stand more chance of being the next president than you would of being allowed to handle ANY kind of a firearm in a range in NYC - IF they let you in.
    I recall that his subject has been raised before, and the Grizzly answered it all before, too.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

OTOH 45 mins on the subway/metro would /should put you in Newark NJ.While NJ isnt much better in gunlaws there are a few more gunstores and the possibility of checking out more stuff than in NYC.
    Going upstate NY you could drop in on Numrich Gun Parts Corporation
    226 Williams Ln, Kingston, NY 12401
    They usually have some "intresting " stuff for sale and display.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

aren't henry rifles made in nyc ? factory tour maybe ?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

Depending on how long you have there you might want to look into getting the train to Philadelphia or somewhere like that...PA is a much more gun friendly state and I am sure you will find a range where you can go and shoot cool stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

gearoidol wrote: »
    Going to NY for a few days the end of the month.
    Any cool shooting related day trips to do ?
    What are the best gun shop to visit also ?

Gearoidol,
    There are a few opportunities, however, these will be in NJ or PA.

There's a range in Long Island called Calverton, however, you have to be a member and they don't rent guns.

If you want to see some guns there is a little place called the Bullet Hole in Belleville NJ. Again, they do not rent. Unless, you are lucky enough to find the Smith and Wesson day where reps from S&W let you try before you buy. You would have to get the PATH train from NYC to the Harrison stop, not too far from there.

There are a few other stores that have guns, however, you'll need a car to get to them. If you want to shoot some trap and skeet, you can head to Thunder Mountain, about an hour drive from Manhattan, when traffic is good. They will let you use one of their shotguns, but you have to use their ammo and you may have to shoot their beginner course first.

If you head out Route 78 clear across Jersey and into PA, you'll come to a Cabella's Super Store, I would say 2hours. Well worth the trip.

There used to be a place called Sarco on the way out 78, but I think they may have moved to Easton PA. No bother if so, Easton is on the way to Cabelas.

I believe there is a range in PA that will let you rent an AK, UZI, or AR. The only thing is that you have to buy their ammo. You'll have to look around, however, I am sure they are there.

Tough area of the country for guns. We don't call it the liberal North East for nothing. Between NY, NJ, and MA, you are in gun-unfriendly territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭gearoidol

FISMA wrote: »
    Gearoidol,
    There are a few opportunities, however, these will be in NJ or PA.

There's a range in Long Island called Calverton, however, you have to be a member and they don't rent guns.

If you want to see some guns there is a little place called the Bullet Hole in Belleville NJ. Again, they do not rent. Unless, you are lucky enough to find the Smith and Wesson day where reps from S&W let you try before you buy. You would have to get the PATH train from NYC to the Harrison stop, not too far from there.

There are a few other stores that have guns, however, you'll need a car to get to them. If you want to shoot some trap and skeet, you can head to Thunder Mountain, about an hour drive from Manhattan, when traffic is good. They will let you use one of their shotguns, but you have to use their ammo and you may have to shoot their beginner course first.

If you head out Route 78 clear across Jersey and into PA, you'll come to a Cabella's Super Store, I would say 2hours. Well worth the trip.

There used to be a place called Sarco on the way out 78, but I think they may have moved to Easton PA. No bother if so, Easton is on the way to Cabelas.

I believe there is a range in PA that will let you rent an AK, UZI, or AR. The only thing is that you have to buy their ammo. You'll have to look around, however, I am sure they are there.

Tough area of the country for guns. We don't call it the liberal North East for nothing. Between NY, NJ, and MA, you are in gun-unfriendly territory.

Thanks a mill very informative

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

FISMA wrote: »
    Gearoidol,
    We don't call it the liberal North East for nothing. Between NY, NJ, and MA, you are in gun-unfriendly territory.

Funny how Liberals are only Liberal about things they like?
    B

• Registered Users Posts: 16 pnudj

Was there in 2009, 30 min taxi trip got me from Manhattan to the New jersey firearms academy , paid approx $150 for half a day, got to shoot .22, .38, 9mm, .40, and .45 pistols and revolvers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

If you are in New York city definitely visit the Museum of Natural History...........best taxidermy I've ever seen!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

J.R. wrote: »
    If you are in New York city definitely visit the Museum of Natural History...........best taxidermy I've ever seen!!

You've obviously never visited a session in the Dáil.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

You can rent a car for a day for well under 100 dollars.
    Take I80 west to stroudsburg PA, there are two ranges where you can rent there.
    Have a pint in Siamsa and then go across the street to Dunkelbegers gun shop for a poke about.
    Then drive south to Easton PA to Sarco Inc and IMA antiques.
    Buy a few repro no32 enfield scopes, put then on gun trader when you get home with an appropriate markup and pay for the whole trip.

Return to manhattan via i78.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭smallfry

http://www.newyork.berettagallery.com/

This will pass half an hour to an hour for you...

smallfry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

smallfry wrote: »
    http://www.newyork.berettagallery.com/
    This will pass half an hour to an hour for you...
    smallfry
    I almost want to go just for fun.

However, I get the Beretta Catalog at home and know that $200 pair of shooting pants are not what I'll be wearing in the bog.

Advertisement