Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

when is enough enough?

• 09-07-2012 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

this is a tough one. my dog, an awesome rescue of unknown age/breed/history has cancer.

it started a skin tag on his ear that grew to a lump, we removed that, while it was healing another larger lump appeared further up the ear, when we resolved to remove the ear, the night before surgery a small lump appeared on his shoulder, instead of an amputation we biopsied both the ear and shoulder, they came back positive for round cell cancer. so we took the ear off, while this was healing the shoulder lump blew up, we removed that too, again within a week/10 days a new lump has appear between his ear and his shoulder and its grown fast. we have him on meds in an effort to control the lumps but its having little affect.

this is my first dog that is mine and mine alone and i know i have to make a call on him. the problem is he is in such good spirits, sure he's sleeping more now but he isnt exhibiting pain that i can see and these lumps aside he appears happy. or is he in constant pain but i cant tell? it's a tough one, i wish he was in obvious pain and discomfort so i'd know i'd be doing the best thing for him.

the vet has been fantastic but i know he doesnt want to do more surgery, neither do i. this is the worst

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

So sorry to hear of everything you and your dog are going through. I was in a similar situation with my own dog who passed away in March, he too had cancer. You will know when the time is right to let him go. All you can do is make what time he has left happy and comfortable, with lots love. I had to make the decision to get my fella PTS, and there was something about the day he died, I just knew the time was right, and after a heartfelt chat with his vet, I let him go before he got any worse. Sending hugs to you and your doggie.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭callmekenneth

thanks carleigh, i hope i feel what you felt, that i know when the time is right. my folks have had dogs in the past that on reflection, were let go too far, i dont want that to happen to my fella, dont want him to suffer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

carleigh wrote: »
    So sorry to hear of everything you and your dog are going through. I was in a similar situation with my own dog who passed away in March, he too had cancer. You will know when the time is right to let him go. All you can do is make what time he has left happy and comfortable, with lots love. I had to make the decision to get my fella PTS, and there was something about the day he died, I just knew the time was right, and after a heartfelt chat with his vet, I let him go before he got any worse. Sending hugs to you and your doggie.

I never met you or Jake but there was just something about the pics you used to post of him - I always think of him when I see cockers in the park!

Anyhoos OP - if you're able to manage the pain and he's in good spirits now let him live his last few days. Spoil him rotten and spend as much time as possible with him. Like carleigh says you'll just know when the time has come for you to step in. My cat had kidney failure - he went downhill really fast before we even knew and by then it was too late. We took him home on on a saturday and by the following afternoon I knew what we had to do. He was just miserable and I knew it was just going to get worse and worse. It was 3 years ago last week he died. :(:(

Thanks TK. I'm still heartbroken, but hes not too far away, I go out to the garden and chat to him sometimes, neighbours must think I'm nuts! (esp if they heard me singing Happy Birthday to him last week!). RIP Jake and your Kitty.

OP, I really hope you get some real quality happy time with your dog, I was lucky to get over a year with my Jake since I found out he was sick, and he outlived everyones predictions. Hopefully your dog will do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

I would never ever have believed that you'd "know" when the time was right but I did - even though I resisted it until it was almost too late:(
    Like tk123, my very precious cat, Mog, had renal failure, among other things, but that little guy was my life and I couldn't face the thought of letting him go. He had been with me through separation and divorce, children leaving home and, eventually, it was just the two of us and he was my reason for getting up, coming home from work - you get the picture.
    My vet told me in November 2008 that that Christmas would be his last. And what a Christmas he had! But when I look back now at the photos and videos of him at that time I think I must have been blind. He was dying in front of me and I couldn't/wouldn't see it.
    In February thing got even worse and one Monday evening I took him to the vet the have his bloods check and, well he didn't come home:( I looked at him that evening and I knew he'd had enough, so I let him go. It still hurts - it always will.
    I have his ashes in my kitchen, so in a way he's still with me and sometimes I think I can sense him - or maybe I just really want to.
    I have since re-married and am the happy owner of two fantastic rescue dogs, who I love with all my heart. But will never have another cat because there could never be another Mog:(:(
    My thought are with you OP - and all who lose a precious pet.
    (Sorry if I went on a bit with this post)

• Advertisement

i had to make the call on saturday, i guess i did know when enough was enough, his suffering is over, RIP big fella

TKPFn.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

i had to make the call on saturday, i guess i did know when enough was enough, his suffering is over, RIP big fella

TKPFn.jpg

:-(
    Sorry to read this. He was a fine, handsome fella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

:( Aw he was a lovely dog. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

TKPFn.jpg

I'm so sorry Kenneth, I'm in tears here. He's just beautiful. Rip baby boy. xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭trinz23

Kenneth, I am so sorry for you. I can't imagine how hard that was for you. He really was beautiful and even from the pic I can see how well cared for he was, I am so sad for you, brings a tear to my eye. Thinking of you during this hard time xxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Oh so sorry to hear about this, RIP Jake xx Run Free big fella xx

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Adorable looking. I have an 11 year old Jacker with cataracts who is getting lumpy, but still energetic and seems happy. Dreading the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Goodbye Jake. Good dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Poor pupster, always a tough decision but at least you know he had the best life he could with you. It's always a question of when is the right time, but I think they have a way of letting you know.

So sorry to hear this Kenneth, he was such a handsome boy. Thinking of you during this tough time. RIP.

cheers all. yeah he was a unique child, always happy, always talking, this was typical him. to think i found him at the cinema one night (long story, found his owners etc etc months later he was mine)

Aw, bless him, so chatty! Its great to have the pics and videos to look back at, remember him how he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

We lost our fox terrier recently after 15 years, she was a rescue too, heart failure meant she had to be put to sleep, very difficult but had to be done. Best wishes,

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I've been so lucky in that all but one of my dogs died of old age and I was with them at the end, but the circumstances don't make it any easier. Like us all there have been a few times in my life where heartbreak was involved, but the loss of a loved pet, a member of the family that needs a shave more than the rest :) can really hit you. It's certainly hit me that's for sure. I tend to avoid threads like this cos it can bring back those bittersweet and painful memories and it has, but I'm glad I read this one callmekenneth*. Glad to meet him even if only in pics/vid. You gave him a great life.

*your username brought back a couple of childhood memories too. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

so sorry for your loss kenneth, we lost our 7 year old staffy Kaba to cancer earlier this year.
    we too had to make the difficult decision to put her to sleep. Try to remember that you did the most loving thing possible, stopping the suffering that he didn't need to go through. I know exactly how you feel and my thoughts are with ye.
    mark

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    [SIZE="1"]*your username brought back a couple of childhood memories too. :)[/SIZE]

:P heh glad you got the reference, the new movie look promising ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Just saw your update Kenneth. So sorry - he was a wonderful friend judging from your video. You did the right thing even though I know what it cost you in terms of tears:( My thoughts are with you.

Advertisement