Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Terry Court Case * Mod Note #51 *

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Caveman1 wrote: »
    Wonder what the FA will do now, delighted for Terry

He is English so nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

He is English so nothing

This is the bottom line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Seems you can say whatever you want, so long as you say you were being sarcastic after the event.

I bet Suarez wishes he had tried that on at his FA hearing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Here comes the shit storm in 3......2........1.......

Time to lock the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Its like OJ Simpson all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

In all fairness the FA cant do anything when the court have found him not guilty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Its like OJ Simpson all over again.

LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Melion wrote: »
    Video evidence of terry - Not Guilty
    Evras word against Suarez - 8 game ban

Oh the English fa are comedians

Video evidence of Terry - cleared in a criminal court. Absolutely right decision.

Evras word against Suarez - dealt with by FA and on a different agenda.

The court decision has zero to do with the FA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Can't trust a Ferdinand, sure did'nt his brother miss a drugs test as well ?

Justice has been served.

• Advertisement

Done now. Let's move on.

There is still the complaint from QPR to the FA about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

In all fairness the FA cant do anything when the court have found him not guilty.

Of course they can. But they won't because he is English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Well that's that.

Now to see what the FA say.

Champagne!!.

Pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Time to lock the thread.

I'm going to leave this run if we can all be civil, talk of this case in comparisson to the Suarez one is fine just keep it above board and civil folks or else it will be locked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

He is English so nothing

He's innocent so nothing would be more appropriate

Notice the way that the cab he got, was not a black cab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Joke of a decision.

Greenlight for Terry to say any racist comment he wants, while others get banned based on hearsay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I hope the fa get involved in this now. They said they wouldn't while the criminal investigation was ongoing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Cya in a few days lads, in the words of Peter jones

"I'm Out"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

How dare that white fecker walk free.

:pac:

Doubt the FA will act tbh. No need now given the verdict.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Innocent? He quite clearly called him a "fúcking black cúnt", how is that innocent?

What was the decision based on ? How did the judge interpret what Terry said? ...or did they rule that he did not use the phrase ( i think we all know what is was) at all ?

Purely interested on what the basis of the legal ruling was here.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

Aren't the FA going to seem racist in all this if they don't charge Terry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Innocent? He quite clearly called him a "fúcking black cúnt", how is that innocent?

Why didn't you present this evidence to the court? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

I am pie wrote: »
    What was the decision based on ? How did the judge interpret what Terry said? ...or did they rule that he did not use the phrase ( i think we all know what is was) at all ?

Purely interested on what the basis of the legal ruling was here.

Reasonable doubt over whether it was used in an insulting manner.

There is different rules in the FA to what the court has he should be done for breaking those rules like Suarez was

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭lmao

There was only ever going to be one outcome in this case. By putting the case back till after the Euro's to suit Terry and England, the writing was on the wall that he would be found not guilty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

It will be interesting to see what happens

while both Suarez and Terry cases deal with the same subject matter there are a number of differing circumstances

In a way both really shouldnt be compared

I feel Suarez was hard done by, always have, always will (dont want to open it up) but just because he got banned doesnt mean Terry should, they are different cases.

Not suprised at not guilty -
    Court of Law - innocent until guilty
    FA - guilty until proven innocent

• Advertisement

So fans that racially abuse players can now say:-

"Oh, i thought the player said i called him a black b@stard, i was merely questioning him on this. I would never say this to a player".

Video evidence of Terry - cleared in a criminal court. Absolutely right decision.

Evras word against Suarez - dealt with by FA and on a different agenda.

The court decision has zero to do with the FA.

Think what it says is that if a footballer has an allegation of a racist comment against them in the future and the evidence is not clear cut, then the footballer would be better served if "somebody" reported the incident to the police rather than going through the FA.

Not saying that there was anything untoward done by the member of the public who reported Terry or that Terry has anything to do with that, but it would appear to have provided an option for future incidents.

I hope the fa get involved in this now. They said they wouldn't while the criminal investigation was ongoing

They have to sky have said that QPR put in a complant about it back when it happened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

"An FA disciplinary investigation into the alleged racist incident at Loftus Road last October is set to restart regardless of what verdict is delivered today"

Don't see what an FA investigation can achieve. If Suarez had been charged in a criminal trial, would you advocate an FA investigation when he was cleared (and he would have been cleared)

That was for the judge to decide

That_Guy wrote: »
    How dare that white fecker walk free.

:pac:

Doubt the FA will act tbh. No need now given the verdict.

Does that mean you might be a black and white fecker? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

This is going to make our trip to Loftus road in September very interesting, thats if the FA dont ban Terry retrospectively that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Why bother with the case , everyone seems to know better than the judge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Quite simply, the FA have to charge him now.

The court have reached the right verdict. Based on the evidence heard in court, there was no way he could be found guilty of such a serious offence. However, the FA (based on previous cases) have no issue finding guilty despite any real evidence so they should be able to go to town now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

How can he be cleared of it after admitting he did it? I dont get it, the whole court case was about whether or not he said it and on day 1 JT told the court that he said it. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

He can still have committed the offence and not been found guilty. There has to be clear evidence for a guilty verdict. The judge obviously didn't see enough of it. Don't think there's a conspiracy here.

• Advertisement

eigrod wrote: »
    Reasonable doubt over whether it was used in an insulting manner.

Is there a way for that phrase to be used in a non-insulting manner ! Very confused ? I am trying to understand how he used it in a questioning or sarcastic manner ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

donalg1 wrote: »
    How can he be cleared of it after admitting he did it? I dont get it, the whole court case was about whether or not he said it and on day 1 JT told the court that he said it. :confused:

Boiled down to they couldn't prove he meant "****ing black ****" as a direct insult.

Fairly lol tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

jeremy-kyle-terry-im-not-racist_large.jpg

How can the FA possibly charge him of anything? He has been found not guilty. Will they be charging Anton Ferdinand for all the comments he made towards Terry?

Also why is everyone going about the language players are using on the pitch? They are all grown men ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

The big question now is will he get the England captaincy back...:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

I am pie wrote: »
    Is there a way for that phrase to be used in a non-insulting manner ! Very confused ? I am trying to understand how he used it in a questioning or sarcastic manner ?

Yes, and that was the thrust of Terry's defence. He claimed Ferdinand accused him of calling him that and he was simply repeating what Ferdinand had accused him of. Or something. Anyway, it worked.

"An FA disciplinary investigation into the alleged racist incident at Loftus Road last October is set to restart regardless of what verdict is delivered today"

Don't see what an FA investigation can achieve. If Suarez had been charged in a criminal trial, would you advocate an FA investigation when he was cleared (and he would have been cleared)

I think if Suarez had been tried in a criminal court and found innocent, and another footballer had recived extra punishment on probablitities by the FA for things other than what he admitted to, then supporters of that player would be calling for Suarez to face the FA.

I am just curious to see how the FA handle it given that they sent through the whole "we think Suarez is not a racist" spiel, but still dished out the bulk of his punishment for the bits based on probabilities rather than giving the bulk for what he admitted.

I really don't think the FA will actually do anything to Terry, and am not expecting much bar maybe some window dressing from them at most, but I do think a few potential loopholes might have been created thanks to the the Suarez case and the Terry case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

In fairness this was the right call.

Ferdinand was intent on trying to get Terry to react, so Ferdinand got personal with Terry. If you cant take it, then dont give it Mr Ferdinand.

Now Terry is an idiot and i couldnt careless if he had got found guilty, but it only went to court because of who he is.

If Ferdinand had called him White b**tard would there be much said about it???

Soby wrote: »
    Why bother with the case , everyone seems to know better than the judge

I think it's extremely valid to ask questions to understand what the basis of the verdict was ?

No one disagrees he said those words, at in court they didn't. He seems to have got off because they were not used in a racist context. I think it's very valid to want to understand how that judgement can be made ?? Especially as it contradicts how the FA ruled on the Suarez case.....which was a clear case of did he say a word which can be construed as racist ?

The different approaches will continue to cause confusion. I cannot see how the FA can charge Terry now ? Unsportsmanlike sarcastic conduct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

He can still have committed the offence and not been found guilty. There has to be clear evidence for a guilty verdict. The judge obviously didn't see enough of it. Don't think there's a conspiracy here.

No conspiracy here tbh. There wasn't enough to say he did it beyond a reasonable doubt.

The conspiracies will start when/if the FA don't now act.

• Advertisement
Advertisement