Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Terry Court Case * Mod Note #51 *

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Yeah, noticed that. Not defending Suarez, but he's not been brought up in the same rigid PC culture that Terry has - how is Terry getting away with what is blatantly obvious to everyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

niallo27 wrote: »
    What part of society or the media discriminates against black or homosexual people, people are afraid to say boo to them in case they are pulled for it,

Just off the top of my head: BNP, Stormfront, the Catholic church, the Irish gouvernment, Sepp Blatter, Robbie Fowler and countless others. If you try to say that you have never come across people being racist or homophobic in your life then you are lying.
    you can't even call a black man black on tv these days.
    Yes you can. Stop lying.
    Owen_S wrote: »
    Opinion on political correctness from a man who makes fun of people with brain injuries :rolleyes:

You mean this:

Well done on spectacularly failing to understand his point. If you watch the video all the way through he even talks directly to you and your friends at the Daily Mail at the end, to explain what he was on about. But maybe it's just easier for you to dismiss his well informed and constructed message on political correctness by making false accusations about his character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

RGDATA! wrote: »
    Yet, as a white heterosexual male, I have never felt discriminated against by society/media for my whiteness or heterosexualness. Just lucky I guess.
    How have you been discriminated against?

What part of society or the media discriminates against black or homosexual people, people are afraid to say boo to them in case they are pulled for it, you can't even call a black man black on tv these days.

Society doesnt discriminate against blacks or gays????

I can say with pretty major f***ing confidence that Ive seen more black people get abused for their skin colour than Ive seen white people. I also know of a lot of my parents generation who'd be apalled at their kids bringing home a black wife or husband.

As for gay people: marriage rights and giving blood spring to mind as 2 legal areas, as well as that Id feel a hell of a lot safer kissing a girl than a fella in many pubs around Ireland, not to mention the sheer hell many gay teens have to go through when coming out.

So spare me this woe is me bullsh*te, straight white men have it relatively easy in our society - at least we never have to worry about getting a hiding just because of our whiteness or heterosexuality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Didn't Alan Hansen have to apologize because he used the word coloured on match of the day, it's pc gone mad, I'm not condoning what terry did, no where in the slightest, I just don't find it very serious, I wish people and the police would give as much a **** about all the burglaries and assaults going on in this country.

Didn't Alan Hansen have to apologize because he used the word coloured on match of the day, it's pc gone mad,
    Yes, which tbf is a little harsh on Hansen since his heart was clearly in the right place and the use of the word ''coloured'' has a complicated history.

But then people like you and the bigots who write tabloid newspapers come along and outright lie about it (and it is a lie because you have just shown that you knew that Hansen used the word ''coloured'' and not the word ''black'') in order to portray the situation as something other than what it is.
    I'm not condoning what terry did, no where in the slightest, I just don't find it very serious, I wish people and the police would give as much a **** about all the burglaries and assaults going on in this country.

If you say that you don't think it is serious then that by definition you are condoning it.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Yes, which tbf is a little harsh on Hansen since his heart was clearly in the right place and the use of the word ''coloured'' has a complicated history.

But then people like you and the bigots who write tabloid newspapers come along and outright lie about it (and it is a lie because you have just shown that you knew that Hansen used the word ''coloured'' and not the word ''black'') in order to portray the situation as something other than what it is.

If you say that you don't think it is serious then that by definition you are condoning it.

So by your reasoning by suggesting one crime is worse than another one is condoning the lesser crime.

So by your reasoning by suggesting one crime is worse than another one is condoning the lesser crime.

No. The words ''I just don't find it very serious'' don't just mean that you think racial abuse is less serious than some other crimes. The words ''I just don't find it very serious'' mean that you don't think racial abuse is very serious. Which is condoning it.

The problem here is that you just don't understand the English language.

No. The words ''I just don't find it very serious'' don't just mean that you think racial abuse is less serious than some other crimes. The words ''I just don't find it very serious'' mean that you don't think racial abuse is very serious. Which is condoning it.

The problem here is that you just don't understand the English language.

I'm not get involved with you again and your ****ty little put downs, I nearly got banned over you last time. So good night to you and sweet dreams.

I'm not get involved with you again and your ****ty little put downs, I nearly got banned over you last time. So good night to you and sweet dreams.

That wasn't a shíty little put down. You said things and then tried to ignore the meaning of the words that you yourself used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

markesmith wrote: »
    Yeah, noticed that. Not defending Suarez, but he's not been brought up in the same rigid PC culture that Terry has - how is Terry getting away with what is blatantly obvious to everyone?
    A lot of it is due to the fact that it has made it to court, unlike the Suarez incident, which was dealt with by the FA. The papers have to be more careful during criminal trials, as anything they publish with an opinion could be seen as giving a perception of guilt or innocence which may have an effect on his prosecution.
    Also worth a mention is the reactions of the fans, who haven't provoked any argument in the media. I haven't yet seen a Chelsea fan attempting to defend Terry's actions(should he be guilty), where as thousands of Liverpool fans jumped to the defence of Suarez despite his admission of guilt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Andy Heaton ‏@Andrew_Heaton
    HOLY ****! RT @diggermattscott Extraordinary: man outside John Terry trial at Westminster Magistrates Court

AxgufLaCAAEvAx2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Ashley Cole arrives. "Mr Cole, does it make you uncomfortable being so close to an alledged racist?" "No, we're divorced now your honour."

daniel taylor ‏@DTguardian
    Terry's defence taking him through insults he has faced about mum. "The Liverpool fans made up a song that my mum loved Scouse cock"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

From Anton Ferdinand doing a "shagging" gesture to Terry talking about his mam liking Scouse cock, this could've been the greatest TV event of the year. Missed opportunity.

Jesus, he's in for some stick when he comes to Anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Blatter wrote: »
    daniel taylor ‏@DTguardian
    Terry's defence taking him through insults he has faced about mum. "The Liverpool fans made up a song that my mum loved Scouse cock"

That song may or may not be factually correct.

Seeing as his defence is so keen to bring up insults, I wonder will they bring up the incident that happened in the hotel lobby at Heathrow Airport where Terry was caught on camera tuanting American tourists about where they were from and also about what happened on 9/11. He did this only weeks after that attack.

Sam Wallace ‏@SamWallaceIndy
    Cole says he thinks he could hear Ferdinand saying 'Bridgey ... black ... ****'

Looks like a key development.

Sid Lowe ‏@sidlowe
    RT"@SamWallaceIndy: Chief magistrate encourages Cole to say 'c***' word out aloud rather than spell it out, 'Don't be shy'. Cole: 'I'm not'"

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Kess73 wrote: »
    That song may or may not be factually correct.

Seeing as his defence is so keen to bring up insults, I wonder will they bring up the incident that happened in the hotel lobby at Heathrow Airport where Terry was caught on camera tuanting American tourists about where they were from and also about what happened on 9/11. He did this only weeks after that attack.

I thought it was Lampard that did this? And I think it was a day or two rather than weeks after the attack.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Cole probably just doesn't know how to spell the word. Jesus, he's some clown..

Ashley Cole asked by defence if he could remember more abt Terry-Ferdinand conversation. 'No, I was looking forward to going on a night out'

NotorietyH wrote: »
    I thought it was Lampard that did this? And I think it was a day or two rather than weeks after the attack.

You might be right about the timeline, but it was defo John Terry.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704259304575043212033975040.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Lamps wouldn't do something like that. He's a nice lad. It was definitely Terry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

NotorietyH wrote: »

It was Lampard, Terry, Jody Morris and Eidur Gudjohnsen that were involved. And you're right about it happening the day after.

Cole comes across as an intelligent chap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

:D
    Crown to Ashley Cole: 'You used to play for Arsenal, the crowd doesn't make any noise at the Emirates do they?' [LAUGHTER in court]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

This trial is gold.

Aidric wrote: »
    This trial is gold.

I can't wait for the ITV two-part dramatisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I can't wait for the ITV two-part dramatisation.

Sky News used to do a daily reconstruction of the Michael Jackson trial years ago. Lookalike, soundalike actors and all that jazz, was quite entertaining.

Danny Dyer to play Terry, clearly :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I hope Wayne Bridge gets to make a statement soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

That_Guy wrote: »
    I hope Wayne Bridge gets to make a statement soon.

And Craig Bellamy :D

• Advertisement

Is Terry's defence that Cole told him that he had heard Ferdinand say that Terry had called him a ''black cùnt'' and then Terry shouted to Ferdinand ''I didn't call you a black cùnt''? Have I got that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭strawberryb0y

Anyone else think Terry's defensive tactic of having his black mates say he isn't a racist wares a bit thin?
    Hes not on trial for being a racist hes on trial for making a racist comment in one instance

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

If found guilty, he should serve a lengthy ban from football as well as whatever punishment he gets from the court. This really should have been put to the football authorities sooner, however the fact that it has gone to court may have stopped any such investigation by the FA, unlike the case with another player last year.

Whatever about this case, John Terry in my opinion is a vile individual for his past actions alone and will no doubt see no wrong in his actions in this case regardless of how wrong he may be. He will never ever take accountability for his actions.

Anyone else think Terry's defensive tactic of having his black mates say he isn't a racist wares a bit thin?
    Hes not on trial for being a racist hes on trial for making a racist comment in one instance

Cole isn't there because he's black. He's there because he was the closest player to the incident, as was shown to millions on TV at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭strawberryb0y

Cole isn't there because he's black. He's there because he was the closest player to the incident, as was shown to millions on TV at the time.

Loads of identical statements from his team mates saying he isnt racist as well, thats not what hes accused of

I'd imagine that 99% of non-racist people wouldn't call someone a "black ****" no matter the provocation. So if he's denying calling Ferdinand that then providing character witnesses supporting his claim that he isn't a racist does make some sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

people really need to learn about the facts of the case before posting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

It was actually Mikel who was closest to him that day and he signed a statement which was read out in court saying he didn't hear anything that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

1eb5cdca.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Had to laugh at a lot of the witnesses, even the Chelsea bus driver I think, all being brought in to show he has never reacted to provocation etc. I think Alexis Sanchez's hole should be called as a prosecution witness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

So did anyone have to simulate a sex act in the dock today?

Is Terry's defence that Cole told him that he had heard Ferdinand say that Terry had called him a ''black cùnt'' and then Terry shouted to Ferdinand ''I didn't call you a black cùnt''? Have I got that right?

If this is the case and Terry is guilty then Cole has lied under oath?

If Cole is lying to protect him,he is pathetic, considering he is black himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

rarnes1 wrote: »

If Cole is lying to protect him,he is pathetic, considering he is black himself.

I can recall Paul McGrath saying something similar regarding Glen Johnson and sure wasn't he absolutely lambasted by Liverpool fans? Is it a different story when it's your club?

Regarding Terry, I believe 100% he said what he said in a racist manner. He is a proven liar and I hope he gets what he deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

What if Ferdinand is lying? Does that make him pathetic as he is also under oath and black?

To me this has all got way out of hand, both players should of been brought up in front of the the FA and it should of been dealt with and put to bed.

All the money going into this case because a fan put a complaint in, if this happened at any Sunday league game it wouldn't even get coverage in the metro.

More wasting of the taxpayers money

Caveman1 wrote: »
    What if Ferdinand is lying? Does that make him pathetic as he is also under oath and black?

To me this has all got way out of hand, both players should of been brought up in front of the the FA and it should of been dealt with and put to bed.

All the money going into this case because a fan put a complaint in, if this happened at any Sunday league game it wouldn't even get coverage in the metro.

More wasting of the taxpayers money

What would Ferdinand be lying about though? He is not the one that brought the matter to the attention of the police. He has already stated in court that he knew nothing about what was said on the pitch until after the game when his then girlfriend showed him footage on youtube of Terry shouting at him.

Terry is the one who came out and first said that he never said the words at all, then changed his story to one where he was only shouting the words to tell Ferdinand that he never said them. So the one person whose version has already changed totally is Terry.

Cole may think that Terry is innocent and agreed to be part of proceedings on the basis he believes Terry's version.

I don't think very much of Cole in general, but it could be as simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Kess73 wrote: »
    What would Ferdinand be lying about though? He is not the one that brought the matter to the attention of the police. He has already stated in court that he knew nothing about what was said on the pitch until after the game when his then girlfriend showed him footage on youtube of Terry shouting at him.

Terry is the one who came out and first said that he never said the words at all, then changed his story to one where he was only shouting the words to tell Ferdinand that he never said them. So the one person whose version has already changed totally is Terry.

I could be wrong but I thought I read somewhere that Terry tried to speak with Ferdinand after the game or did speak with him after the game to clear up what was said ? Even if that's not true I find it hard to believe that Ferdinand only found out when his girlfriend told him sure it was all over the news straight after the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

captureow.jpg

capture1fc.jpg

JT - the intellect of an Amoeba

I could be wrong but I thought I read somewhere that Terry tried to speak with Ferdinand after the game or did speak with him after the game to clear up what was said ? Even if that's not true I find it hard to believe that Ferdinand only found out when his girlfriend told him sure it was all over the news straight after the game

Think Ferdinand said that he then girlfriend told him after the game, so that would have been after the player's left the changing room area etc. I assume at that point as Ferdinand would not have seen anything on telly or on youtube he might have taken what Terry at his word. Then once he saw the footage, his opinion changed.

Nowt more than guesswork on my behalf though based on what has been said already in the trial.

• Advertisement

I could be wrong but I thought I read somewhere that Terry tried to speak with Ferdinand after the game or did speak with him after the game to clear up what was said ?

Ferdinand, Terry and Cole all said that that happened, although they all gave different accounts of how long after the final whistle it was.

Advertisement