Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

135W Mini Soldering Torch - €17.99

• 09-07-2012 10:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_22573.htm

i have been looking for new tips for my current gas soldering iron and they are over €25 in Maplin.

i spotted this last week and got one yesterday, might not be everyones cup of tea but i used it last night for a couple of hours and was very impressed, heated up very fast and a single fill of gas lasted a good while.

Aldi dont do the cans of butane but they are easily got.

not sure how long the tips will last but it comes with a 3year warranty.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The cheapest butane is usually in €2 type shops, they often have large 50% free cans of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Nice find! Will try and get one next time I'm in Aldi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

Must keep my eye open for this would be handy for small jobs not having to draw out my soldering station or going up to the attic to my soldering station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Just got one. They have the fuel for it in my local diy store but it didnt have the end u no like on the oil cans. Might try ebay n get some for cheap. Heres a pic of the kit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,092 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Doylers wrote: »
    Just got one. They have the fuel for it in my local diy store but it didnt have the end u no like on the oil cans. Might try ebay n get some for cheap. Heres a pic of the kit

Just rang rip-off maplins. They have the butane. €7 for a can.

• Advertisement

dodzy wrote: »

sounds a bit steep

dodzy wrote: »

STOP!

Any €1.49 shop have them for....€1.49

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I picked up a can for €1.50 in EuroGiant yesterday

Got a 300ml can for €1.50. Now what can I melt :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭romperstomper

do you fill it with the butane can or must it be connected to a butane can via pipe at all times? how long would a 'fill' last?

• Advertisement

do you fill it with the butane can or must it be connected to a butane can via pipe at all times? how long would a 'fill' last?

With a can stores inside. No idea havent done much with it yet

....or must it be connected to a butane can via pipe at all times?
    hmmm..maybe best to get a friend to do your soldering:D

Just used it propperly worked great got hot fast and number 3 was fine for heavy enough wires.

Didn't manage to get one :(

Anyone know any Aldi in the Dublin area that still has them / any other suggestions?

unkel wrote: »

Anyone know any Aldi in the Dublin area that still has them / any other suggestions?

Come to waterford there were about 30 in one store :D I find it a bitch to light, dont no if its the gas or what.

Plenty in aldi, clonee.

Thanks for the tip, dodzy, but Clonee is sold out. Guy in the shop said they sold out about a week ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭chopsey

still loads in Aldi in Mallow if you want me to pick one up for you and post in on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

Thanks for the tip, dodzy, but Clonee is sold out. Guy in the shop said they sold out about a week ago.

unkel, the Aldi in Clane usually has stock of specials long after they've sold out in other stores

@chopsey - thank you for your very kind offer. I'll try Clane in the next few days and if I'm still unlucky I might take you up on it!

• Advertisement

Was in Tallaght today and spotted the new Aldi near the square. Went in, had a good look, no soldering irons.

Just to be sure I asked this Eastern European fella who worked there and he knew straight away what I meant. I asked him if there were any left and he said he thought there was one left. Went over with him and he pulled one from under several boxes of other stuff.

So if there is a lad out there who tried to sneakily reserve one for himself, sorry, it's mine now :D

Well chuffed I found one, thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Was in Tallaght today and spotted the new Aldi near the square. Went in, had a good look, no soldering irons.

Just to be sure I asked this Eastern European fella who worked there and he knew straight away what I meant. I asked him if there were any left and he said he thought there was one left. Went over with him and he pulled one from under several boxes of other stuff.

So if there is a lad out there who tried to sneakily reserve one for himself, sorry, it's mine now :D

Well chuffed I found one, thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Enough talk. Now go melt some sh1t :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Just to update for anyone looking at one my dad got one today - he has an actual 130W weller soldering iron used for making stained glass its an enormous truncheon of a yoke. He also has and an assortment of temperature controlled soldering irons for electronics repair.

His assessment:
    Aldi soldering Iron could not melt solder on a twisted pair of 2.5 multi strand wires.

With a twisted pair of 1.5 it failed as well. By the time it has done a poor melting of the solder on one side the wires were very hot back more than two inches on either side of the joint.

It is even poor for shrink wrap. Vapours from shrinkwrap.

Even a 40w soldering iron should have no difficulty with 2.5 square so 135w seem outlandish. Now maybe he has a dud can anyone confirm if it can solder a reasonably thick wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

chopsey wrote: »
    still loads in Aldi in Mallow if you want me to pick one up for you and post in on?

Might take you up on that offer myself, if you're willing.

gerryk wrote: »
    Might take you up on that offer myself, if you're willing.

where are you? no problem i'll swing by on the way home this evening, there was loads there on sunday so i'd say they are still there. postage should be much more than 4 or 5 euro to anywhere in ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

chopsey wrote: »
    where are you? no problem i'll swing by on the way home this evening, there was loads there on sunday so i'd say they are still there. postage should be much more than 4 or 5 euro to anywhere in ireland

Really? Cool. Yeah, I'd definitely be interested. I can paypal cash to you, or whatever suits. Let me know what you prefer.

gerryk wrote: »
    Really? Cool. Yeah, I'd definitely be interested. I can paypal cash to you, or whatever suits. Let me know what you prefer.

just PM me your details and we'll take it from there, Paypal is grand with me

moodrater wrote: »
    Now maybe he has a dud

If he doesn't like it, he can bring it back to Aldi for a full refund. They are quite good that way.

Advertisement