Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Performing Live

Options
  • 09-07-2012 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hello everyone

Sorry if this thread is in the wrong place

I was looking for some advice from you guys on live performance

There are two of us in the group, we have been producing electronic music based on samples, drum loops and sampled piano/synth

Our set up consists of Mac Book Pro(Abelton Live), Monome, APC 40 (well, we're in the process of getting one)

We've played in bands before but the direction we're going now, its all a bit new to us - any advice on the following would be greatly appreciated!

- What other gear do we need to perform live(mixers etc)?
    - Are there any venues/nights in Dublin (or anywhere for that matter!) that we could play a short set?
    - Also, we're not entirely sure what each of us will do live, ie one of us launching clips the other on effects etc -any tips would be great!

thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Popmart97

Anybody??? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

Best thing to do is bring equipment that is required for your set.
    Don't over do it and bring mounds of **** that you don't need, you're gonna break your back for nothing.

I'd suggest bringing a mixer, it's just easier to mix with and easier to add effects to tracks that are playing instead of clicking around on your mac all day. (it just makes it look like your doing something tbh :pac:)

Go into any bar/ nightclub around Dublin city and start asking around. You will get accepted somewhere for sure. No point asking in old folk Irish bars though. Look for some place relative to your style if you get me.

If you want ideas on what the two of you should do while live, I recommend looking on youtube for producers who play live, like Swedish House Mafia, one of them keeps the hype, the other works on a track, and then they switch around between each other for the night.

I'm no pro so I can't tell you every thing you will need, maybe someone else can. :D

Sound, thanks for the feedback!

Was wondering about the Mixer, however as we have the APC40 and Monome going into the Mac (and then, I assue into the house PA) ...is there any need?

:confused:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

The APC is pretty much a mixer in itself, so all you'll need is a line out from your soundcard in to the house mixer...job done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Make an MP3 and work on your hair. No one performs live these days.

Did you see any SHM in the Phoenix park. They only thing live there was the fights, stabbings and deaths. Everything else was prerecorded and sync'd to the light's and pyros

Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Laserface

sadly krd has a point.. even liam howlett and aphex twin are performing nowadays with laptop sets pre-sequenced and arranged. check out either of those 2 artists performing live in the early-mid 90s and you'll be blown away with the difference

but it is still possible to play live if you want. for example there is an irish artist called Automatic Tasty who plays around using 100% live hardware midi synced.

one piece of advice..don't listen to anyone..do your own thing.. electronic music is sadly polluted with far too many opinions..like mine. you're better off ploughing ahead with regard for no one but your mammies

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Dontron

- Also, we're not entirely sure what each of us will do live, ie one of us launching clips the other on effects etc -any tips would be great!

Sounds like you just need to practice together, after a while you will figure out what each of you can do

Have you tried MLRV for the monome

Google around for live setups for ableton some cool stuff where people use loads of send tracks to add routeing flexability
    Google moldover controllerism
    Google faderbeats.
    Also check out max4live for patches that do live stuff
    Have you got an ipad? Then have a look for OSC controllers
    Got an android tablet then you'r gonna have a bad time

Pick something so you have a stable setup and can get better with that setup

Advertisement