Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newport man thrown into a Bog naked after Rape Allegation

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'm sure you could class this as an isolated incident.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

If it had happened to a passing tourist, you might have grounds for concern. The parties in question knew each other. It certainly wouldn't keep me away from Newport.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 concernman

oscarBravo wrote: »
    If it had happened to a passing tourist, you might have grounds for concern. The parties in question knew each other. It certainly wouldn't keep me away from Newport.

The reason I ask is because that seems a very disproportional response to do without proof. Its up to the Gardai to give punishment not locals, I am afraid that maybe this might be common response If I park wrong or say anything out of place. I worry a lot though so is normal reaction for me.

These Young men have now ruined their lives why would they have done such a thing? the man who was accused of rape (Dont know if allegations are being investigated or not) will also have life ruined. These things stick espcially in small town. I feel also sad for families involved, great pressure and strain now on them. terrible set of events in lovely town.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

Jesus Christ.

Would never have imagined this happening in Newport.

Jesus Christ.

Would never have imagined this happening in Newport.

Do you know the people involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

concernman wrote: »
    Amazing story I never thought this type of thing would happen in atown as lovely and welcoming in Newport. I have little holiday planned there passing through to Achill I think I may have to bypass the town altogther. Has anyone any background on this, is Newport safe to visit?

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=15604:newport-man-thrown-into-bog-naked-after-rape-claim&catid=23:news&Itemid=46

This is an isolated incident and clearly from the report all of the people involved knew each other. That's not a reason not to visit the town.

Bad stuff happens in all towns all over the country. Newport is as safe as any other town to visit.

Do you know the people involved.

Nope, I'm a blow-in to the town.

It's a great little village though, would recommend it to anyone.

Nope, I'm a blow-in to the town.

It's a great little village though, would recommend it to anyone.

What is the talk in the town about this, are they shocked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Vigilantism alive and well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Amazing story I never thought this type of thing would happen in atown as lovely and welcoming in Newport. I have little holiday planned there passing through to Achill I think I may have to bypass the town altogther. Has anyone any background on this, is Newport safe to visit?

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=15604:newport-man-thrown-into-bog-naked-after-rape-claim&catid=23:news&Itemid=46

Why on earth would this bother you ? It seems bizarre for an isolated incident like that to put someone off visiting a town.
    A young Newport man was brought to a remote bog, stripped naked and thrown into the bog by two former friends who claimed he had raped a mutual friend of theirs a few days previously.
    Murray said Dyra and O’Grady then returned ‘ten to 15 minutes later’ and drove him back to Newport.

• Advertisement

What is the talk in the town about this, are they shocked?

First I've heard of it. Sounds like a domestic between friends, I wouldn't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

I've met one of the accused before, met him since the incident, thought he was sound and couldnt imagine him being involved in something like this.

As regards Newport, Newport is a lovely little town, Id imagine you'd never see any hassle or get any hassle, my parents never had anytime they went on a night out over there, I'm from near Newport. Dont let an isolated incident taint your opinion of a lovely, welcoming, picturesque town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Concernman seems very concerned for someone who just happened across the story in a paper

First I've heard of it. Sounds like a domestic between friends, I wouldn't worry about it.

A DOMESTIC!!!! You got to be kidding me. This was very serious.

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Concernman seems very concerned for someone who just happened across the story in a paper

I worry a lot, dont know why but I do.

What part of Ireland are you from ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

You'll be grand. Just try to keep the oul raping to a minimum.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

You really shouldn't, it's bad for your health.

I'm not a believer in worrying. If it's something I can do something about, I do it. If it's something I can't do anything about, what's the point in worrying?

People tell me that's easier said than done, but with practice it gets a lot easier.

I know I will stop worrying and enjoy myself. Just out of interest what became of the rape allegations, were they proven false? withdrawn? under investigation by the Police?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Closing this thread, worry less OP.

I don't like the angle this is coming from and its a case in the courts.

Its an isolated incident.

• Advertisement

Itsdacraic wrote: »

+1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement