Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malamute X Puppy Fighting with Our Older Dog

• 09-07-2012 10:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi we have a 5 Month Old Malamute X Samoyed Female Pup and we also have a Female Terrier x approx 11 Years old. Last week while both were being fed in their run the Malamute Pup attacked the terrier for coming near her food and then over the weekend she again attacked the terrier in a row over a bed. We are now concerned that being so young and having a this streak in her so early what will she be like when she gets older. We have the dogs seperated and not sure what to do. We have a 5 year old child aswell and are concerned that she may mistake him at some stage for another dog. (If they are playing its always supervised) We treat her well with lots of excercise every day and she has a massive area to play in so dont think there is any isssues in that sense. Has anyone else any experience with this that can advise? One piece of advise we have got to date is to nueter the pup as this will calm her homones and as the older dog is also nuetered it may stop the rows. Any advise is greatly appreciated as we are at a loss but our childs safety must come first

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

5 months is too young for neutering IMO. but definitly consider it after first heat.

we have this issue when i go home to the parents, my staffie is a greedy girl and bullys their bichon over food and seating areas.
    feed the dogs seperatly firstly.and be prepared to correct the malmute everytime it tries to get the upper hand. let it know that the behaviour is not acceptable. it is a puppy and will learn quickly.

how you do this is going to be something that your dog dictates, for instance i'll put my girl out of the room and on her own for a few minutes because i know she's VERY people orientated and being left out of the fun for a bit is punishment enough.

never leave your dog unsupervised with your kid but i wouldnt be too stressed, a bit of dog aggression rarely translates to human aggression. just keep your wits about you when the child is near the dog and make sure the child NEVER goes near the dogs food when it's eating (this applies to any dog).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭mikesavo2003

Thanks for the reply have been keeping a very close eye on them since. Will put in place some sort of system to show her she is doing wrong and hopefully it might work. As I say our main concern is with our child even do they are never together unsupervised or never near either dogs foodbowl ever

Advertisement