Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling to IM Austria - suggestions

Options
  • 09-07-2012 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi all - prob been asked before, but I've trawled through alot of posts on bike boxe/airlines etc but just wanted to know how any folk travelled to IM Austria Klagenfurt this year and last and their experiences?

Also any recommendations on accomodation if possible.

We're for the race in 2013 and based in Tyrone - so flying from Belfast or Dublin is an option.

I done IM Switz in 2010 and it was a handy one flight from Dub> Zurich - but Klagenfurt seems to be a bit more of a b1tch to get to

Ideally Id love a one flight solution (for cost reduction and also less change of bike going missing!) but its looking like 2 flights.

If anyone can give me feedback Id be much obliged (also contact me if you'd like info on IM Switz if you are going!

OK so options seem to be in order of preference so far:

Belfast >(Easyjet)>Stanstead>(Easyjet)>Ljubljana
    This so far looks the best on paper, just have to get a transfer from Ljubljana to Klagenfurt, its only 47km away so HOPEFULLY handy enough

Belfast>(Easyjet)>Stanstead>(Ryanair)>Klagenfurt
    Prob the best as you are direct into Klag - BUT the fecking prices Ryanair are adding on for extras like luggage (£35per bag per trip!) - then £50 e/w for the bike - are outrageous... So fcuk Ryanair, I wont be travelling with them if I can help it.

Dublin>(Aerlingus)>Vienna - then train to Klagenfurt (4hrs+)
    This is an option, 1 flight, maybe stay the night, then train it down and do the same on way back - but one again Id prob like to be closer

If anyone can give me some advice id really like it - ive heard some scare stories of people having their bike boxes not put onto the plane as it wasnt allowed to take on anymore (too many atheletes going through London) etc so I plan to leave earlier in week to avoid this....

Anyways thanks in advance - expensive business this IM stuff ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 barrmurphy

Just back from Austria and did ryanair over to Klagenfurt and Ljubljana on way back but the bike was sent over separately. Although Ljubljana is only 47k away it is not as easy as it sounds to get there as there is a big mountain in the way. We took the train and you need to change in Villach and will take 3 hrs although the cost was only €20 return. Taxi to the airport is €30/40 also. The train from Vienna was a lot more expensive.

I would try keep it as direct as possible as you will have enough issues on your plate. There was a lot of bikes on our flights and no one reported any issues. Hope you avoid the heat we were treated to, if you have any other specific questions let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 garydee

barrmurphy wrote: »
    Just back from Austria and did ryanair over to Klagenfurt and Ljubljana on way back but the bike was sent over separately. Although Ljubljana is only 47k away it is not as easy as it sounds to get there as there is a big mountain in the way. We took the train and you need to change in Villach and will take 3 hrs although the cost was only €20 return. Taxi to the airport is €30/40 also. The train from Vienna was a lot more expensive.

I would try keep it as direct as possible as you will have enough issues on your plate. There was a lot of bikes on our flights and no one reported any issues. Hope you avoid the heat we were treated to, if you have any other specific questions let me know.

cheers for that indeed - how did you transfer bike - did you guys have a club with a van going over or something? yeh alot of logistics to work out prior to travelling i know....

yep read a few reports on the heat - devasting I heard... not nice at all

• Registered Users Posts: 33 barrmurphy

garydee wrote: »
    cheers for that indeed - how did you transfer bike - did you guys have a club with a van going over or something? yeh alot of logistics to work out prior to travelling i know....

yep read a few reports on the heat - devasting I heard... not nice at all

Yeah we had a van go so not really a viable option unless you have 20+. Most of our group stayed at the plattenwort hotel which is a stones throw to the expo and startline but it did come at a cost. We stayed in basic accomodation in town which was fine but ideally it is better to be out on the lake. Accom goes quick so i would concentrate and getting that sorted first.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭handangeo

Flew Aer Lingus to Vienna and drove 330k to Klagenfurt -Handy drive motorway all the way.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I went with a nirvana (sports travel co) which removed most of the headaches but you pay a premium. Flew dub - stansted - lublijana. Even so I staggered the flights over two days to avoid issues with delays or my bike arriving late.

I did hear that easyjet did not carry all booked bikes on the Thursday, I know at least nine were delayed over 24 hours. I had no problem on the Friday. One English chap lost his bike altogether on a Lufthansa flight. It does happen but its a risk you've got to take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

handangeo wrote: »
    Flew Aer Lingus to Vienna and drove 330k to Klagenfurt -Handy drive motorway all the way.

Also flew Vienna and drove down, straight forward drive, booked a Skoda estate with loads of room in it for 180€ for 8 nights, if there's a few of you it's the best option, no fuss aerlingus flying and you'll also have a car for around the race down there which is really handy depending on where you're staying, would defo do that again if I went again

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Taking notes here for 2014. I plan on making it a family holiday, has anyone done this and is there plenty to keep a family entertained for a week other than IM?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 garydee

cheers lads - all good stuff so far

tempted by the dub-vienna then drive/train down to be honest - maybe stay a night in vienna whilst there but will see

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Did Dub->Venice and drove, was fine.
    Did Dub->Memmingham and drove - way too long of a drive.

Austria is epic, been there twice, would go back in a heart beat with the whole family if I was allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

tunney wrote: »
    Did Dub->Venice and drove, was fine.
    Did Dub->Memmingham and drove - way too long of a drive.

Austria is epic, been there twice, would go back in a heart beat with the whole family if I was allowed.

Hang on a sec, my wife is fvcking epic. I am allowed :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement