Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accidentally cut a cable

Options
  • 09-07-2012 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I accidentally cut a cable on our mobile home site, it is a cable from aerial I think which provides us with RTE 1, RTE 2 & TV3 I think.

I cut with the garden shears when trimming back some bushes. Now the above channels are missing.

It is a normal black cable. I taped either end of the cut parts up and put them in a plastic bag to protect from the elements.

How would I go about fixing the cut cable?

What tools/Any videos I can watch?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

It's not a difficult repair. just go to your Hardware store and get a Coaxial straight connector and reconnect the two cable ends. If you tell the assistant in the Hardware store what you want to do he will show you how to do it easier than me trying to explain here. It's quite easy. You will need a pliers and a Stanley knife.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭frankled

Although it is worth noting that come the 24th of October the whole setup will become redundant anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Kleenex

frankled wrote: »
    Although it is worth noting that come the 24th of October the whole setup will become redundant anyway.

Forgot about that, but I suppose it will last us till the rest of this Summer.

Though we also have some silvercrest box thing where we get the BBC/ITV/Channel 4 etc channels.

Any idea why we can't get the Irish channels on that box?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭frankled

Kleenex wrote: »
    Forgot about that, but I suppose it will last us till the rest of this Summer.

Though we also have some silvercrest box thing where we get the BBC/ITV/Channel 4 etc channels.

Any idea why we can't get the Irish channels on that box?

Thanks

No problem. I'm not sure, I'm sure people over in the TV forum know a lot more, probably Freeview or something like that. Saorview is what you will eventually need for RTE etc after October.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

The aerial will still be of use to you after october 24 ,you will get saorview from your aerial by using a set top box or a soarvew tv.If you repair the cable make sure your connection are water tight by covering the joint with denso tape or self amalgamating tape.The right job would be to replace it as any dampness in the cable will cause problems.
    Your silvercrest box is connsected to a satellite dish which only recieves channels which are free to air in britan (Free to air),Rte tv3,etc are not part of this and are only available free on saorview.
    I hope this is of some benifit to you.

There might be a video on the tv trade website that shows cable connections

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 mickquinn05

U might still have to replace the aerial depending on what you have and where your located, the best thing to do is prob ring the local tv installer and let him run a new cable and throw up the new aerial if needed for the october switch over.

Advertisement