Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bedroom Recordings, any suggestions for drum mics

• 09-07-2012 11:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22

Hey lads,

These are just some mixes i've done over the last few months that i havent really got much feedback for recording wise or mix-wise. http://soundcloud.com/medicinemouth it's a real cheap set up with all keys, synths done through a midi keyboard on reason, a behringer B1 for vocals and C2s for micing the amp, bass is DI'd. So just wondering if ye have any advice, i'm really trying to get better and better, i think i'm improving in some of the new recordings that i havent put up yet. Also if ye have any suggestions for a good set of budget drum mics as so far i've had to use drum loops which obviously dont help with writing songs the way you want to. i'm an awful rambler today but would really appreciate a quick comment, honest as you like! Thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22 micnol

Would be mostly this http://soundcloud.com/medicinemouth/youre-made-of-her and this http://soundcloud.com/medicinemouth/someone-please that i'd be looking for feedback for.
    I'm going to be releasing them to some degree and really dont have any gauge whatsoever as to if they're even remotely well produced or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

best way to learn to mix drums , and an easy way to create great drum tracks is using EZdrummer or supieor drummer .

Supeiour really lets you get into the mixing of drums , ez drummer is a good start.
    get thecsutom and vintage kit pack or the nashville as well for good generl drum sounds.

once you get good at that , ( and it takes a while trust me ) then start tracking real drums later on .

make sure you do it in either a great sounding room or if not , make it very dead , and add life later.

best way to start is with two over heads and a kick mic , maybe a snare mic as well .

note the best bang for buck overheads are the oktave mk12 ,
    they have a nice middy sound that mixes well.

i used these for a good while til i got beyer mc930s.

an sm58 or 57 on snare , ( and even in kick ) will get you started as well.

you can use sm57s or 58s as over heads , but its a pretty vague and gritty sound.
    but worth a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22 micnol

Hey yeah really good advice! Think i'll get EZ drummer to start off with. Never really thought of doing that as a means of practice, nice one.

I wonder are drums in that multitracked into my DAW then, or do the drums come out as stereo audio or even midi? Sure i can check it up myself.

Really looking forward to getting into that software now, though i'm sure it's gonna be an even bigger step up to go from perfectly sampled software drums to micing up myself.

Should be able to get my hands on Sm58s and i feel like i could use my C2s as overheads unless otherwise advised.

Thanks a million

Advertisement