Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of closing my AIB account.

Options
  • 09-07-2012 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭

So, after 7 years with AIB, I'm seriously considering closing my account.

All my banking is done with AIB, (salary paid directly in etc etc)

I took out 2 seperate loans with them in 07, both were five year loans, and both have been paid of, in full and in time (without missing a payment)

I also have a credit card with them, again, payments never missed.

Applied for a measly €500 overdraft facility on my acc a few weeks ago, only to be declined:confused:

Home owner, with mortgage payments all up to date, never been in arrears. (Mortgage is with PTSB)

Whats the story with this crowd?

Do they no longer want our business?

Incidentally, I'm seriously considering openeing an Ulster bank account, forgetting the negative press theyre getting at the minute, I've heard good reports about them until now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

Banks arent lending as freely to personal customers anymore as they used to be. Moving banks may not get you an overdraft elsewhere, then again it may! Perhaps aib refused the overdraft because you already have a mortgage and a credit card? you could always appeal the request

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Banks arent lending as freely to personal customers anymore as they used to be. Moving banks may not get you an overdraft elsewhere, then again it may! Perhaps aib refused the overdraft because you already have a mortgage and a credit card? you could always appeal the request

Yeah I understand that, but I'm not asking for credit (as in a loan).

I'm simply asking for a five hundred euro overdraft facilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Phone them and speak to someone in the branch. They tried this with me before and said it was a Dublin decision. I spoke to someone in the branch and they granted an OD no bother.

Ghandee wrote: »
    Yeah I understand that, but I'm not asking for credit (as in a loan).

I'm simply asking for a five hundred euro overdraft facilty.

you are asking for credit, an overdraft facility is a loan just like a credit card or traditional loan facility. you say you wish to move to ulster bank, except for the stress theyve put me through the past 3 weeks ive found them great. i used to bank with boi and i moved to ulster. ulster are the only bank that have ever given me an overdraft and a credit card. so moving to them MAY help your situation. but theres no guarantee

i guess you need to ask yourself if you are willing to move banks, and then be refused credit of ANY kind in your new institution?

another option is save 500 euros over a period of time for that financial buffer you require.

try appealing the decision with aib. ask them why they have refused you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Is it possible to ask UB for an overdraft before you open an account?

As in, tell them it is a pre-requirement before I'd agree to switching?

• Advertisement

Ghandee wrote: »
    Is it possible to ask UB for an overdraft before you open an account?

As in, tell them it is a pre-requirement before I'd agree to switching?

well, you can apply for an overdraft when you open the account. i did.

you could always mention to them you would only switch if they gave it to you, but i wouldnt go switching to them for a couple of weeks until things die down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 FarAdr

I have found that AIB dont want to give anyone money at the minute, and use Dublin as an excuse. I've banked with them 9 years now, had a student loan, got it topped up a few times, but tried to pay it during my duration of college when I could. I finished last year, and I haven't missed a payment since. Once I finished I had an interview coming up,a job which required a car, so I asked if I got the job would it be possible to get a car loan, was told no, subsequently I'm coming to the end of an internship, need a new motor, because I'm being taken on 3days a week, and may attend sites. After paying 2500 off my student loan in the past year, I have been turned down for a 1600 car loan, because my current income is 240 a week.... Its hard enough to get started in this country at the min, but when you do get a job, you get kicked in the teeth by a bank... a bank that helped ruin it... How do they ever expect to grow when they won't loan? Feckin frustrating

Advertisement