Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slane 2012???

Options
  • 09-07-2012 12:41pm
    Site Banned Posts: 236 ✭✭

Does anyone know if there is going to be a Slane, I heard coldplay, then it was cancelled but cant find anything remotely concrete online...

anyone hear anything?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

Cancelled this year

• Site Banned Posts: 236 ✭✭vader65

for definite? Was there any reason given?

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

Think it was to leave the field fallow for a year, and also he didnt want to clash with the olympics or some such.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭O'Doodle

Nobody would give M-C-D a licence to hold an event at Slane or Punchestown so instead the eejits at the park give them a licence.

Also Heineken weren't prepared to sponsor a knacker fest at which people were getting stabbed.

^^ Pure speculation off course :D

and yeah Punchestown is just like Glastonbury and needs a fallow year. Bollox.

Rippin!! same reason why Oxygen isn't on this year then..... :-(

no enough Portaloos

• Advertisement

O'Doodle wrote: »
    Nobody would give M-C-D a licence to hold an event at Slane or Punchestown so instead the eejits at the park give them a licence.

Also Heineken weren't prepared to sponsor a knacker fest at which were people getting stabbed.

^^ Pure speculation off course :D
    Yeah I heard there was a fair amount of trouble at that Stone Roses gig as well messers letting off Flairs, and fighting with security...

have to say i didnt see one incident at the stone roses gig, i did see people helping other people through the mud on the way out. obviously i cant see everything that goes on in every part of the venue but still

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

vader65 wrote: »
    Yeah I heard there was a fair amount of trouble at that Stone Roses gig as well messers letting off Flairs, and fighting with security...

Have to stop ya there. I was beside the ONE messer that lit ONE jumbo sparkler. I always thought a flare shot up into the air and this thing didn't. This thing sparkled like a jumbo sparkler.

The guy held the sparkler aloft then security came along (rightly so) and dragged him away. I watched the entire episode. Sparkler boy was then dragged away by 2 security personnel. He dug his heels in a bit but no fisticuffs. Must say the security fellas made hard work of removing him and pushed and barged their way, unnecessarily, through other innocent bystanders.

I would of thought that trained personnel would of controlled the removal better.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LilNiall

Was that flare incident in the pit-about 5 rows back?

Seen a flare their-guy lit it & was up on a guys sholders. Got passed around 3 guys before security got involved & carted of the 3rd guy left standing with it.

Rippin!! same reason why Oxygen isn't on this year then..... :-(

no enough Portaloos

Lol yes I heard that mentioned for glasto, but I really lol'd when I head oxygen put their spin on it ages ago, no mention of the fact that they would not have been given a license had they applied without some serious hoops to jump through, obviously costing them enough to make the move to gigs in the park this year

• Advertisement

Have to stop ya there. I was beside the ONE messer that lit ONE jumbo sparkler. I always thought a flare shot up into the air and this thing didn't. This thing sparkled like a jumbo sparkler.

The guy held the sparkler aloft then security came along (rightly so) and dragged him away. I watched the entire episode. Sparkler boy was then dragged away by 2 security personnel. He dug his heels in a bit but no fisticuffs. Must say the security fellas made hard work of removing him and pushed and barged their way, unnecessarily, through other innocent bystanders.

I would of thought that trained personnel would of controlled the removal better.

Sorry mate was just going by what I heard, a friend of mine works at security for all those gigs and he said it was mental loads of fights and all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

There was a rumour going around a few weeks ago that it was back on and that Pearl Jam were to play it. Given that it would take at least 4 weeks to get planning permission and then at least another 12 to sell 80,000 odd tickets I took it as just that- a rumour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

It's not happening.

/thread.

RATM wrote: »
    There was a rumour going around a few weeks ago that it was back on and that Pearl Jam were to play it. Given that it would take at least 4 weeks to get planning permission and then at least another 12 to sell 80,000 odd tickets I took it as just that- a rumour.

Rage Perl Jam would have been amazing at Slane!!!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Would Pearl Jam have been able to sell out 80,000? As much as i like them im not sure if they could do it

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

Would Pearl Jam have been able to sell out 80,000? As much as i like them im not sure if they could do it

Maybe as a double headliner with someone else, Soundgarden maybe?

CiaranK wrote: »
    Maybe as a double headliner with someone else, Soundgarden maybe?

Yea but that would mean Matt Cameron doing double duty on the night . Id say next year will either be ACDC(if they have the new album out) or Coldplay

• Registered Users Posts: 6,672 ✭✭✭bren2001

Yea but that would mean Matt Cameron doing double duty on the night . Id say next year will either be ACDC(if they have the new album out) or Coldplay

Wouldn't rule out Green Day, 3 new albums in the next 6 months. They didn't sell out Marlay Park last year but with 3 albums.... They were in talks to do it a few years back.

My money is on ACDC or Coldplay as well.

bren2001 wrote: »
    Wouldn't rule out Green Day, 3 new albums in the next 6 months. They didn't sell out Marlay Park last year but with 3 albums.... They were in talks to do it a few years back.

Still dont see Green Day doing Slane at this stage , they are not as big as they were during the American Idiot era . Id put them headlining Oxegen(if its back next year)

Still dont see Green Day doing Slane at this stage , they are not as big as they were during the American Idiot era . Id put them headlining Oxegen(if its back next year)

I agree they are more likely to play Oxegen (or whatever they call it next year) but I still wouldn't rule it our. They want to play Slane and were close to playing it in 2010 6 years after American Idiot. I do think they would need Uno or Dos to be a commercial success and for Coldplay/ACDC to be unable to play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Do Coldplay have any plans to tour next year?

AC/DC are still a good bet.

karaokeman wrote: »
    Do Coldplay have any plans to tour next year?

AC/DC are still a good bet.

Maybe they could be an exclusive? Their only show of the year or something . Didnt someone say Coldplay wont play Ireland till 2013?

Snow Patrol would sell it out! I dont think they could get ACDC for Slane the last time thats why they played punchstown

• Site Banned Posts: 152 ✭✭CUPimus

Maybe they could be an exclusive? Their only show of the year or something . Didnt someone say Coldplay wont play Ireland till 2013?

Yeah I read somewhere that Chris Martin and the band were taking time out to work on the next album or something... but they would be good at Slane, defos sell it out!

Snow Patrol would sell it out! I dont think they could get ACDC for Slane the last time thats why they played punchstown

I'd expect them at Oxegen next year, don't think they are ready for Slane yet. They could probably sell it out considering they sold the Phoenix Park but Lord Charles usually gets a band that is huge world wide, not one who is huge in Europe.

Wouldn't completely rule out the Killers if Battle Born has a hit or two on it, they would need an excellent under bill to get it close to selling out.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Prettyblack

Jesus I hope Pearl Jam don't play Slane! I hate Slane and vowed never to go again.

They are more an O2 band in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

I'd expect them at Oxegen next year, don't think they are ready for Slane yet. They could probably sell it out considering they sold the Phoenix Park but Lord Charles usually gets a band that is huge world wide, not one who is huge in Europe.

There won't be an Oxegen next year.

As for your second point, why would they look for someone popular the world over rather than just Europe to play a show in Ireland? Is that why Robbie Williams played one year? Or The Verve? Or The Stereophonics? Or Oasis? They look for someone who will sell enough tickets to make their fee worthwhile. Simple as that.

Wouldn't completely rule out the Killers if Battle Born has a hit or two on it, they would need an excellent under bill to get it close to selling out.

Snow Patrol are a world wide band, before they came back to Ireland they did their USA and Japan tour lol The killers wouldn't sell out Slane

There won't be an Oxegen next year.

As for your second point, why would they look for someone popular the world over rather than just Europe to play a show in Ireland? Is that why Robbie Williams played one year? Or The Verve? Or The Stereophonics? Or Oasis? They look for someone who will sell enough tickets to make their fee worthwhile. Simple as that.

I dunno why they won't be at Oxegen, they are playing V this year....

Are you seriously trying to say Oasis arn't a worldwide success. Stereophonics were a huge band in O2, headlined Glastonbury that year. The Verve had just released Bittersweet Symphony and were a worldwide success (granted for 1 maybe 2 songs). Robbie Williams was a little bit strange.

Its a case of where the exception proves the rule. Generally over the years they are massive bands, The Rolling Stones, U2, RHCP, Byran Adams, REM, GnR, Queen. The list really goes on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I dunno why they won't be at Oxegen, they are playing V this year....

Snow Patrol won't be playing Oxegen next year as (like Coldplay) their touring plans finish in the autumn. Would like to see the two do a co-headline as I'm not 100% either would sell it out.
    Robbie Williams was a little bit strange..

Oasis would be in the same boat as Robbie Williams because he has broken everywhere except for North America. People can say all they like about Rob, but if you look at his past tour you will see he played stadiums of 60,000 etc in South America and everywhere else, there were some planned for Asia too but they were cancelled, and he has also sold 70 million records worldwide.

The Killers and Green Day are all likely candidates for Oxegen (or whatever its rebranded as next year).

Advertisement